1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Data Error (cyclic redundcy check)

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by sfrickx, Dec 4, 2004.

1. sfrickx

sfrickx Member

On occasion I receive this message when I try to use DVD shrink. What does this mean? More importantly, any way to get around this? Thank you.

2. zippyd

zippyd Active member

OK, Just a little information for you.....
    This question has been asked hundreds of times and there are many threads that cover this topic. You could have saved yourself the time of typing out a post to start a thread if you had just typed cyclic redundancy check in the search bar at the top of the page.

But since I'm bored, I'll answer this for you.

It means that the drive can't read the disc. It's trying over and over and over and over (redundant) and can't get the info.

Usual causes: Dirty disc, scratched disc, bad disc(yes sometimes the originals are screwed up from the factory), and sometimes(not often) a dirty laser lens in your drive.

3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey sfrickx, cyclitic redundancy errors are dirty,scratched, and damaged discs. Try cleaning them with eyeglass cleaner and lint free cloth.That may help. You can try dvd decrypter to rip the movie,that might work but i never had any luck with it. Which part of the shrink process is this error message coming up and is it always in the same spot?Later

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

sorry, zippyd beat me to it.lol

5. Race900

Race900 Member

SFrickX,
    I have received this messsage also, all you have to do is make the copy smaller. When ever I get this message (lets say the shrink size was 4.3 gigs) I would try running the DVD shrink again and remove one of the languages. Before you start the rip, if the shrink size is under 4.1 GB, then you should not have a problem. You wwill probably notice that everytime you get this message, the dvd is 4.2 or greater, never less. I hope this helps.

6. zippyd

zippyd Active member

I cannot for the life of me understand how your method works Race900.

7. upahill

upahill Member

Yes, this does make sense. It has to do with the compression; it's all in the math. He's removing another language which gives DVDshrink a little more to work with (less compression), so DVDshrink can also be choosier when it reads the original . With one less language, it doesn't need to READ as much information, because it going to have more room to work with in writing and compress less, so it can be more choosy).

8. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey all,I am with zippyd. I had 2 bum discs that did this to me. It wouldn't even let me through the initial analyzation"the 2 minute jobbie". If you can't get past this first step, how do you keep under 4300 mbs?Dvd decrypter did same thing when i ignored all read errors.I did this on 3 different burners. It turned out the brand new disc I was trying to backup was a dud.The other was all scratched up. This is why I asked sfrickx which part of the process it does this? Does the same spot act up when playing that orinal in any stand alone player?Later

9. zippyd

zippyd Active member

A CRC error means that it can't read the original.

10. upahill

upahill Member

Correct, CRC error means it can't read the original at a certain spot. If Shrink has to compress data at a lower rate, than it needs less of the original information to make a good picture, so it can afford to skip the CRC error spot. Video compression is "lossy" and you can afford to choose just how much you want to lose, which reflects the end picture quality.

11. zippyd

zippyd Active member

I'm not going to say that I may not be wrong but it is my understanding that Shrink has to be able to read the data in order to be able to compress it. It uses an algorithm for the compression and without the data, that wonderful mathmatical equation can't be resolved.
    Like I said, I may be wrong.
    I've contacted someone who should be able to help clarify this. He has been away for a while so he may not answer soon. But his input should be worth the wait, because I believe that the only person that knows more about the technical side of DVD Shrink than him would be the actual creator of DVD Shrink.

If you like you can check out his site dedicated to DVD Shrink.....
    http://www.dvdshrink.info/index.php

Last edited: Dec 14, 2004
  12. askyew

askyew Regular member

There are also some of the newer releases doing this in which case the unreferenced material will have to be set to still pictures. Zippyd is right a search of the error will result in a wealth of helpful info.