1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DATA ERROR [Cylic Dedundancy Check]

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mac53, Aug 14, 2004.

1. mac53

mac53 Guest

I tried to back up a dvd of mine and DVD Shrink ran into an issue stating "Data Error" [Cylic Redundancy Check]. Does anyone know I can remedy this issue? Or is this correctable or not?

Thank you... :)

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

It m,eans your media is probably poor.

Try RiData, Verbatim "DataLife" or Ritek G04's.

You won't get a CRC with them

Cheers,

Pete

3. mac53

mac53 Guest

Scuba...

It has nothing to do with the burning aspect of the back up, therefore I haven't got to the point of burning. What I'm saying is...When I tried to use either DVD Decrypter or DVD shrink, this error occures during thr reading process and it stops both of these fine softwares in their tracks.

What I asking is:

Is there some software or some other method to correct this issue?

4. system42

system42 Member

it appears tht they is a problem with the dvd media itself, perhaps the dvd you are trying to clone is somewhat badly scracthed? Therefore the laser in your DVD player cannot scan the selected tracks.

see if you can rip another film if its successful it could jolly well be the disc you are trying to back up

5. mac53

mac53 Guest

System42...

These are new uncoded dvd videos! Uncoded (no css protection)! It's happening when the reading software tries to back up a particular VOB. In one disk this happens while reading vob#1,in another it will occure when the reading process approached the last vob of the disk. Different disk...different vob. I tried to use VobEdit, but the issue is, I can't get this file on my hard drive not matter what I do and that includes dragging the file. When dragging it on, the process just stops.

This is a tough one folks, I beginnig to believe that this is a new form of protection...

6. honuangel

honuangel Member

i can decode dvds that give me this error, but i can't put them back together. maybe someone knows how to reassemble the pieces?

7. mac53

mac53 Guest

honuangel...

How do you decode them???

:)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2004
  8. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hi,

A CRC error has nothing to do with CSS being there or not.

A CRC occurs when the drive is unable to read a sector of the disc. This is normally caused by a dirty or scratched disc but in your case it's most likely corrupt data on the source disc.

Factory discs can and do make it to the shelves that have small bits of corrupt data on them. These small errors uaually don't cause problems in a normal player since they're made to compensate for them but when you put it in a burner or ROM and try to read it bit for bit you get a CRC error.

You can try setting DVD Decrypter to ignore read errors.

Settings > I/O > Ignore read errors.

9. Keylow

Keylow Guest

i guess CRC messages are pretty common as a topic thread on AD....LoL, i been workin on this movie for about 3 hours now with no luck....until i read this thread....hope it works, Disneys "confessions of a teenage drama queen"...my daughter is slowly but surely gonna drive me to the gave at the age of six...LOL...whats going on Neph?...enjoy your day folks......KEY

10. mac53

mac53 Guest

Nephilim...

Thank you for breaking that down for me. After hearing what you had to say about CRC's, I'm beginning to understand some. I will set the I/O settings on DVD Decrypter ignore/read errors. I'll get back to you with the results!

Again, Thanks... :)

11. RandomNeb

RandomNeb Member

I've had this happen to me twice. On one, it must have been really dusty. The bottom looked bad so I cleaned it off with a shirt, poped it in and it worked. Another one was really bad, and would get the CRC at 2 seconds left, 99%. I saw it was at the credits, so I re-authored it with Shrink and took out the credits. Might try that.

12. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

If you still are having difficulity - just go to your local video store and rent another copy, chances are that should solve it for only a few $$$

cheers,

Pete

13. mac53

mac53 Guest

Scuba...

First, these aren't renters, but I did buy them used...I'll never do it again!!! Nephilim was right...all I had to do was to change the settings in DVD Decrypter and it worked like a charm. Now all I'm doing is using VobEdit to take a look at that particular VOB to see if any healing can be done.

I'd like to take this time to thank all of you folks to responded to my issue. Unfortunately I typed-o'ed the thread title, but other than that you guys have been great. Please continue to use this thread for other associated issues. Please believe me, if I run into anymore issues...I'll be back on.

Again...Thank you all... :) ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2004
  14. Nephilim

Hi,

Buying ex-rentals can be an exercise in frustration. A buddy of mine buys them quite often and now he's looking for an "affordable" semi professional scratch remover!

Stick around mac, we're happy to see new faces stay around :)

15. mac53

mac53 Guest

Nephilim...

Yeah...That's one practice I tried, just once,... never again! Learned my lesson real fast... When I buy...definately new. I'm not goin' far ol' buddy...I'll be around.

:)

man I do alot of type "o's"

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2004
  16. Nephilim

I've never bought any ex rentals because I'm an exraordinarily picky s.o.b when it comes to my discs (any guesses as to why I found AD?) :p

17. mac53

mac53 Guest

No I can Say...

Probably has something to do with DVDs...right?

;)

18. Nephilim

Definitely something to do with DVDs.

I'm picky about my discs to the point where I don't like anyone but me to handle the originals hence my main desire for backups :p

19. mac53

mac53 Guest

Yeah... I'm learning to get that way.
    I have two kids that totally abuse discs...DVD or CD, doesn't matter. I spent a small fortune in production discs. I had to get to the point of where I had to do something to save them. Now, when they go to watch a movie or listen to music, I hand them a memorex. :D

20. mac53

mac53 Guest

Nephilim...

I like that skull...how do you put something like that in?

mac