1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Data error on Star Wars IV A New Hope

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by svt54, Sep 21, 2004.

1. svt54

svt54 Guest

I have tried several times with shrink, and it freezes up at 50% in deep analysis, or if I skip analysis it does the same at 50% encode. I get an error message saying,

"DVD Shrink encountered an error and cannot continue. Failed to read file "E:\" Data Error (cyclic redundancy check)"

Is this because there is a bad sector in the original? I know it isn't some sh!t Lucas pulled, because I have successfully backed up the other 3 discs in the box set. Please Help!!!

2. svt54

svt54 Guest

Ok, maybe it is one of Lucas's sneaky tricks. I returned the movie and got a new one, and got the same error in the same place. HELP!!

3. gorangel

gorangel Guest

Try to rip the movie with dvd decrypter,maybe it´s an ARccOS movie

4. blas

blas Member

I was able to rip and copy Star Wars New Hope with DVD shrink 3.2 and nero. All I did was uncheck the Spanish and French and it made a perfect copy.

5. svt54

svt54 Guest

I am getting the freeze up in Xcopy too. Doesnt matter if I use complete disc or just the movie.

6. adinona

adinona Member

I had exact same problem today with same DVD(A New Hope), Return of the Jedi and Empire Strikes Back worked fine.

Here's what I did and IT WORKED!

I ripped the DVD in "file read" mode to the hard drive with DVD Decrypter, then encode it with DVD2ONE and then burn it with copy2dvd.

Tried to encode(encoded fine) it with shrink and burn it with decrypter and got error burning at 90%.

7. svt54

svt54 Guest

Ok I tried using Decrypter on yet a 3rd copy of A New Hope that I rented. I used the file read just like you said and at 50% yet again I got this error......

I 16:07:19 Copying VTS_02_4.VOB... (LBA: 1874706 - 2398977) - KEY: N/A
    W 16:17:35 Failed to read Sector 2041536 - No Seek Complete
    I 16:17:55 Skip Request Acknowledged
    E 16:17:55 Failed to copy VTS_02_4.VOB!
    I 16:18:04 Copying VTS_02_5.VOB... (LBA: 2398978 - 2923249) - KEY: N/A

I retried the file several times too boot. PLEASE HELP ME!!!

8. svt54

svt54 Guest

Ok guys, don't laugh at me too hard. I just figured out that that last try, and that last post was not right. I had my own copy in drive E: and the rented in drive D:. I read the wrong drive. Once I tried the other drive it read it fine. I guess the other 2 copies of the movie were a bad batch being from the same shipment at the same store. I noticed that the file size that wasnt reading was about 19,000 kb on my disc, the same file was over 1 mil kb on the rented disc.

9. scottastr

scottastr Member

I found the "glitch". Its at 58 min and some change. It shoots the movie back to the 2nd chapter.
    I have been reading that this is a "bad batch". If so and I have to return it to the same store I got it from, wouldn't they all be bad?

10. ATsunami

ATsunami Member

I treid what adinona said worked for him and DVD Decrypter failed at 52% with an IO error on sector 2083552, "no seek complete"
    Update: the decrypter has let me pass the error and is continuing to rip the dvd. Ill see what it looks like when its complete.

Scottastr looks like you are right I too have a problem with my disk at the same time. The video drops off and there is just audio that is fractured.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2004
  11. jurelex

jurelex Guest

Something interesting that might be useful.
    I copied the entire DVD to my XBOX so I can later FTP the files. The file that has the problem is VTS_02_4.VOB and even in the XBOX didn't work. It only copied about 250 MB, the interesting thing is that I checked the file with XBMC and it played but the audio was in spanish. The other files were fine.

12. svt54

svt54 Guest

Mine was in the exact same file. When I play the movie on a DVD player it is a 2 to 3 sec. stall in the movie while Obie wan is talking to luke on the millinium falcon.

13. jurelex

jurelex Guest

I just backed up my copy of A New Hope.
    First I used DVD Decrypter in ISO Read Mode but before I configured it to ignore read errors and set the software error retries to 1 (I/O tab) according with the DVD Decrypter Log the problem is in sectors 1986268 to 1986299 and 2041545 to 2041549 (Illegal Mode for this Track) and sectors 2041550 to 2041572 (Unrecovered Read Error).
    Then I used DVD Shrink and burned with Nero. It works very well.
    You will see some artifacts arround minute 58 but the rest will be fine. I couldn't make the spanish subtitles work though.

14. scottastr

scottastr Member

I took my trilogy back to the store today. I was a little worried thinking I would get another problem one. I brought it home and viewed it first, NO PROBLEMS. I copied it no problem.

15. darkaveng

darkaveng Guest

I read all the messages above. So what is the solution? I had a problem copying New Hope as well. I used the newest DVD Shrink and Nero.

Also would anyone know why my Empire Strikes back copy won't work on my XBOX? Every other DVD I have copied has work superbly.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]http://www.freewebtown.com/Darkavenger/scull_sig2_2.jpg[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2004
  16. scottastr

scottastr Member

The solution is to take it back to the store and get a new one. In my case the original was screwed up and skipped in quite a few places between 58 minutes and 1hr 3 minutes.

17. svt54

svt54 Guest

Yeah. You just need to return it.

18. Josh133

Josh133 Member

I had no problem burning Star Wars with shrink,however i did have a problem with The Empire Strikes Back widescreen version,i couldn't burn it to a disc it backed up fine,so i went and got a fullscreen version and it burnt to a disc perfectly.This is the first time i had a problem with a widescreen dvd.

19. HayreAss

HayreAss Member

Well Damn, I sure had some trouble copying this disk.
    Returned one after receiving cyclic redundency errors on it, only to have the second copy do the same thing.
    Tried solution posted by jurelex, and it worked.
    This was frustrating. Wasted quite a lot of time
    DVDDecrypter in Iso read mode
    Shrank it with DVD Shrink
    Burned with nero

20. scottastr

scottastr Member

I bought all the widescreens and had no problems. Just a bad disc. Havr you watched empire to make sure there are no problems with it?