1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

data error

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by cfl777, Aug 24, 2004.

1. cfl777

cfl777 Member

i get half way analyzing and a box pops up and says dvd shrink encountered an error and cannot continue, failed to read file E:, data error (cyclic redundancy check)
    what does this mean?

2. slb

slb Member

If this is second time(or more) you have tried to back up the movie try erasing from your hd and do a disk cleanup and reboot. Hope that helps and works!

3. forkndave

forkndave Member

CRC errors generally mean that the disc has a problem so that it can't be read. It could be dirty or scratched, or it could be a defective disc. If it's scratched you might try something like a Disc Doctor. That's always worked for me. If it's a defective disc you'll just have to take it back or if it's an old one, buy another one.

4. slb

slb Member

Disc doctor, where is this program i.e. on norton sys works?

5. michigan

michigan Guest

It's a little machine that you place the disc in and it polishes the disc. You can get them that you crank by hand or that plug into the wall. After a couple of discs you will wish you had the one that plugs in.

CRC's are indeed almost always dirty/scratched/damaged discs you may not be able to see the bad spot but it's there. Sometimes they look almost like water marks on the bottom of the disc. Sometimes the disc is just a little corupted. If you can return the disc for a new one the one you have is defective, if not then rent the same title and back it up from the rental (you do still have the original)

6. slb

slb Member

water marks on the bottom of the disc...I'll be damn. That explains why I can't back up Sopranos. It has those spots on it. Best buy has this thing?

7. michigan

michigan Guest

Yes they do, again if you can get the one that plugs in. It works gret for light to medium scratches but it won't get rid of those water marks, they are in the pressing of the disc. Rent the one you need and back it up.

8. slb

slb Member

I think I have a sting of bad luck w/ disk 3 ver 3 of sopranos...can't get it to work w/ shrink, plat, smartripper. 3 disks! Going to p/u one on Friday...thanks for the tip!

9. michigan

michigan Guest

Let me knowe what you find

10. slb

slb Member

michigan,
    We I got it(i.e.Norton Sys). Tried backing up my disk using shrink , had 4 minutes and ran across some GD error that said this file is encrytped. Little pissed and my dell came close to flying out the 2nd story window. My luck it would have wings and fly back to the front porch.
    Going to try to reinstall shrink. Suggestions?/slb

11. michigan

michigan Guest

Hows it going? Did it work?

12. slb

slb Member

Best buy was out of diskdoc so I got something that was close(at least that what they said). I think I'm going to try DVD43. I have tried everything with the excpetion of going out and buying another disk. I'm bound and determined to back this f'ing thing up. I'll keep ya posted. Going to give it another try this weekend. tx

13. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

That's the spirit!

14. michigan

michigan Guest

Don't let it best you, smack it down, keeping on pluggng, ra, ra, ra. Let us know we'll get this sucker yet! :)