1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Data Error

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by karenwas, Oct 9, 2004.

1. karenwas

karenwas Member

Hi very new at this but have successfully used DVDShrink, and Nero to burn. Lately I get error in DVDShrink Data Error (Cyclic Redundancy error) and it aborts. It also happened with DVDDecrypter but on different original disks. Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi karenwas, welcome to AfterDawn!

Those CRC errors are very common and are caused by the failiure of the Cyclic Redundancy checks that occur as the disc is being read by the reader. The reader and the disc are swapping little math equations back and forth.

I like to think of it this way: Suppose the only way I know you are still alive and well is if I give you apples and you cut them up and give me back the pieces. I expect to get back two halves or four quarters and so on, each time I give you an apple. If I start getting back half an apple or just a quarter or none at all, then I know something is wrong. I'll give you a few more apples and see if you can overcome the problem. If not, I stop giving you apples and put up my Apple(CRC)Error flag.

What causes this in a DVD are mainly scratches and dirt. I have had some discs that had no apparent damage but would give me a CRC error. Just a glitch of some sort in the data on the disc. Look over your DVDs and clean them. See if that helps.

Cheers,
    Frank
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]motorcycle racer
    computer newbie
    dual Xeon 3.06, 2 WD 76Gb Raptors, raid 0, Maxtor 250, 2Gb RAM, 2 monitors, GSXR1000, 88 Mazda truck
    [​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2004
  3. andmerr

andmerr Guest

you can also get a program like isobuster to read the disc and it should tell you if there are other issues other than a dirty scratched disc.Below is a summary of the program and also a link to it.

have fun

andmerr

Software Publisher's Description

IsoBuster is an expert and low-cost utility that recovers data from CDs and DVDs. All CD and DVD file systems are supported, and the program also supports an enormous range of image files. It comes with a comprehensive help file, scanning for lost UDF files and folders, and a CD and DVD surface scan. Find lost data on CDs or DVDs created with drag-and-drop applications (DirectCD, InCD, DLA, InstantWrite). Find lost pictures created and saved to CD with Mavica or other equipment.

Download.com Review of IsoBuster

This program recovers various kinds of information from any type of CD or DVD. During installation, IsoBuster asks the user to select the file systems to associate with the program, such as ISO9660 and UDF. If you don't make the selection at that time, you can do it manually later. After the software launches, it automatically configures and shows all the information on the CD or DVD in the CD-ROM drive. The program lists the computer-assigned and actual file names of recoverable files. Recovering any deleted file takes seconds. Besides the recovery functions, IsoBuster can play audio files, search for deleted names through keywords, and extract files from all the sessions done on the CD or DVD. Although the graphics and organization of the program are only average, the performance is outstanding. This software can help just about everyone.

http://www.download.com/3000-2248-10208087.html?tag=txt
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2004
  4. karenwas

karenwas Member

Thanx for the quick reply. I tried cleaning (no luck)and had just found isobuster and dl'ed it. Will try that now. Do you think deleting Roxio may help? Read somewhere that it conflicts with other s/w sometimes...dont use it anyway?

5. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Thanks andmerr, I've been looking for something like this. I've got one particular movie (The Mask) that I've never been able to rip.
    Frank

6. karenwas

karenwas Member

Also...they run perfectly on the DVD Player, no problems watching the actual disk, just trying to back it up (to prevent little children scratching it !!) :)

7. karenwas

karenwas Member

Also...they run perfectly on the DVD Player, no problems watching the actual disk, just trying to back it up (to prevent little children scratching it !!) :)

75% goes through, then stops and aborts. Any smart way of cleaning that might fix the problem?

8. andmerr

andmerr Guest

thats cool frank i actually own the 321 studios version of dvd x rescue ,does the same thing but isobuster is free and 321 's version is well obsolete, havent found an update for the version i have.

Frank this program will be able to tell you if there is a damaged vob in the actual disc, if thats the case you may have to have a go at deleting that one and re creating it via the demux and remux tools.I have one disc back to the future 3 that had a problem like that but i also know that some manufacturers put damaged files on the discs to stop people from copying them.

Hi karenwas roxio works for some people and not others can you tell us what other burning programs you have installed and are running, because you are right roxio does conflict with a lot of the other burning suites around.

9. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Oct 9, 2004
  10. andmerr

andmerr Guest

hi karenwas thats disappointing that it only reads to that level.

Can you try this for me:

put the disc in your drive.

2.right click the drive the disc is in

3 explore the disc

4. right click the video_ts file

5.see if you can copy and paste that folder onto your hard drive.

6. rename the folder the name of the movie

7.Now if you get that far going to try and burn it back withy shrink dvd.

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2004
  11. karenwas

karenwas Member

Andmerr, I only use Nero, DVD Decrypter and Shrink - I have now removed Roxio.

I'm just copying the video_ts folder now...will take 31 mins so will check back later and let ya know how it goes. Thanx for your help so far - muchly appreciated !!

12. karenwas

karenwas Member

Frank Looks like its working !!

I cleaned, copied video_ts folder but then thought i'd try ripping the title_1 only - encoded fine and currently at 15% burn. Decided part of the apple was better than no apple at all !!

Seems like its a winner. Thanx to all

Karen

13. andmerr

andmerr Guest

you might find that title one is not the problem, as you said that you could get to 75% but this way might just trick the computer into thinking that there is nothing wrong with the disc.If you do manage to get the whole thing to your hard drive and shrink trips over and wont let you burn the backup try clonedvd ver2 it may.

glad you are on your way to finishing your project

andmerr