1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Data transfer problem

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Laura81, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Laura81

Laura81 Member

Hi. I've just joined up and I'm hoping that someone here can help me. I use a laptop, not with the best stats, but it gets the job done. It is a Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600 700MHZ, 384RAM, Windows 2000 Pro. It backs up my dvds fine. The problem I am having recently is this. I use an external dvd burner. When I'm trying to transfer a dvd5 from the external burner to my laptop hdd via a USB 2.0 cardbus connection, sometimes the data transfer just drops out. It comes up saying I have unsafely removed the USB device, or that it cannot find the specified file. Well, I have not removed anything, not touched a thing. I'm wondering if this is the usb 2.0 cardbus and I should get a different one? It is an ALi. I've heard NEC is the way to go with a cardbus when wanting to transfer large amounts of data all the time.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Is this just with one DVD or are you having the problem with all DVD's?

3. Laura81

Laura81 Member

It is with every dvd I have tried. The data will be transferring and then just...poof...gone. As I said, it says I have unsafely removed the usb device, but I have not. All I can think is it is either the usb 2.0 cardbus with a fault, or something amiss with the burner.

The burner does everything else just fine though.

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

What program or method R U using to transfer the data from the DVD to your computer?

5. Laura81

Laura81 Member

Just the normal copy and paste method.

6. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Laura81,

Check out my guides at my website (in my signature) You are going to need them.. You can't just copy and paste to your hard drive with a DVD movie. It has to be ripped to the hard drive with another program as herbsman has suggested using DVD Decrypter will do this for you and its free. I highly reccomend you take a look at the guide on my site by ScubaPete it is easy and uses 2 free programs you can use to back up your DVD's (DVD Shrink & DVD Decrypter)

8. Laura81

Laura81 Member

Um, these movies I'm copying and pasting are already dvd5 (single layer). I've already compressed them with dvdshrink and am trying to copy my back ups to my hdd. Hence, copy and paste.

9. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Well not everyone has external drives , myself for one ... so I'll leave advice to however can help you [as I have a feeling it's your hardware that's the problem].

10. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Have you tried instead of copying and pasting to just do a disk copy with your burning software? You can put it on your hard drive as an image (ISO) file if you use that method. It has been my experiance that it is hard for any external ROM to copy and paste a DVD format movie to your HD by just simply copy and paste. You can use Decrypter to get it to your HD by selecting "Mode" "ISO Reade R" then you can burn it on another DVD by selecting "Mode "ISO Write W" give that a try and see what happens.. Let us know.

11. Laura81

Laura81 Member

Nero does have an option with the disc to disc copy to untick "on-the-fly" and then it does save it to your hdd first and then burn it. I suppose I could give that a try. Similar to what you said with decrypter.

In an update to that, tonight I actually copied 4 dvds to my hdd successfully without any problems. But, then it failed on the 5th one, so who knows. I will try it as I described above though. Hopefully it shouldn't take anymore time to burn it that way then the copy and paste method.

12. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Take any longer? It will be faster than the copy and paste method!!