1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Data usage, download from PC or handset

Discussion in 'Android Phones' started by Wyattspop, May 26, 2012.

1. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

Hi Guys,
    I'm sure many wonder this as using our precious data package wisely matters.
    Do you use the same amount of data against your account if you download an application from say Google Play if you do it from the website off your PC or doing it straight on your handset. With data packages ranging from $30-$50 and up, it's easy to burn through 2 GB in 30 days.
    Thanks All

2. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

Seems to me that a package size is a package size no matter if it goes through a PC or hand held device (logic).

Think about your data plans. My PC is unlimited. Therefore, I should download through it and take to the hand held via memory card if the hand held is on a limited account.

If you are a heavy user consider an unlimited plan for the hand held. Your mileage will vary.

3. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Browsing the Google Play store and downloading an app to your phone that way simply tells your phone to download it - it still uses your phones data to download. So, no, it doesn't make a difference. Consider connecting to wifi when you install/update apps instead if it is an issue, and turn off automatic updating.

4. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

Clear and concise answer, thank you.

5. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

I would, but Verizon has no unlimited and their prices per gig package are steep. For 2 gb $30 4 gb $50 10 gb $80. I think my issue was I jacked up my network settings last week and although I'm "technically" connected wirelessly, what I'm loading I'm being charged for. Strange thing is openfeint seems to be launching on some game apps...I repaired my network today so hopefully...
    They charge $5 bucks for every 10 megs you go over, can you imagine? That's like 2 songs! Criminal in my opinion. Thanks much

6. Ripper

Ripper Active member

No problem, glad I could help. It's pretty horrible how badly you are ripped off for data plans in the US; it's not quite as bad in the UK.