1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dbox flashing help

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by voyagerxp, Feb 7, 2007.

1. benifa

benifa Regular member

For myself, I've disabled windows firewall and not using another..
    My anti virus software is AVG free version..

As I said, my other Dbox2, which is also a Nokia 2x, works fine with IFA when it was in kein system and thus no valid image.

The problematic dbox DOES have an image and boots. That's the only difference I can see between the two boxes..

2. tam2oo5

tam2oo5 Guest

Benifa- Does your box with the image alow you to use the dbox button? If so then just ftp an image to it

3. benifa

benifa Regular member

No, that's the problem you see..

It boots up, (in radio mode), plays radio for approx 15secs then shuts down - no matter what I press on the remote or dbox itself..

Hence a new image is needed..

I can ftp the box sure, so copying a new image to the tmp folder is no problem, but once there I can't do anything with it, since I can't get to the option on the dbox for write one partition etc..

So, I believe using IFA is the only way..

But since I can't get IFA to work I guess I need to get a) a null modem cable, and b) a PC that has a serial port! (damn laptops).. lol

It's bizarre - IFA is obviously seeing the dbox because after clicking OK, plugging the dbox into the mains, IFA displays

Bootp>Request from 00:50:9C:39:54:EF (assuming that this is DBox)
    Bootp> Created dynamic ARP entry for DBoxIP 192.168.2.202 with Mac 00:50:9C:39:54:EF
    Bootp> Answer sent!

But nothing after that. The dbox, I believe, is (and I know my wording is very lame), simply not "seeing" IFA.. The dbox just boots up as if no IFA running..

Null modem cable it is?

4. benifa

benifa Regular member

Just an update..

After thinking and thinking why one Nokia box can be successfully flashed with IFA and another identical box cannot, I came to the conclusion that the ONLY difference between the two (at least that I can think of), is that the one that can be flashed was (at the time) a "Kein System" box, whereas the box that refuses to respond to IFA has a bootable image installed..

So, since I could still ftp to the un-responsive box (and had nothing to lose), I decided to delete the entire contents of the /var directory. I hoped this would give me kein system, and thus allow IFA to flash it..

Oh dear. It didn't work. Now when I plug it in, it tries to boot, displays "loading kernel" and then doesn't do anything else. TV screen remains blank, and now I can't even ftp it. Oh, and it still chooses to ignore IFA..

And all I wanted was kein system..

Sigh..

5. voyagerxp

voyagerxp Member

My sagem x2 box is in kein system and still won't flash. When i turn the box on it shows the debug mode on the lcd and show kein system below.

6. benifa

benifa Regular member

Solved!

I was using Vista. Formatted laptop and installed xp..
    Flashed successfully using IFA..

Moral of the story - IFA is not compatible with Windows Vista..

7. voyagerxp

voyagerxp Member

I got my dbox to flash in the end and it was with vista 32bit ultimate but i got a null cable and it flashed no problems.

8. benifa

benifa Regular member

hmmm.. Glad to hear you got yours sorted with a null modem cable..

I think maybe it's not that IFA is incompatible with Vista, but for some reason (and I don't know why) the ARP functionality in IFA that allows an IP to be automatically assigned to the dbox from locating it's MAC address, is not working. That would explain why flashing using a null modem cable works, but not via ethernet..

Does anybody know why this may be so?..