1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dct6208---pc

Discussion in 'Digital TV - United States & Canada' started by amberel, Aug 27, 2004.

1. amberel

amberel Guest

im still rather new to this, but if anyone could help it would be appreciated. im looking to offload from my dct6208 to my pc. btw im running xp pro sp2
    if their is a way please help
    thanks

2. adman_dan

adman_dan Member

Amber... I'm with you. Just got a dct 6208 and love the features, but miss being able to make compilation tapes (DVDs) of favorite shows, sporting events, etc.

Have you had any luck on your end?

3. amberel

amberel Guest

i did try the s-video port it work but only video no sound...i also tried to offload the hard drive via firewire port computer reconised it but still said it needed drivers...so im still stuck....getting ready to try it as a network and see if that works.still hoping someone else out there has a little more info than myself to help

4. jisleyjr

jisleyjr Member

Last edited: Sep 15, 2004
  5. amberel

amberel Guest

thanks jisleyjr
    those links was very helpful.

6. chudy

chudy Member

Hi Amberel,

Did you get meitape.inf?

7. amberel

amberel Guest

no i wasnt able to get the meitape.inf...any help on getting that would be appreciated.

8. chudy

chudy Member

9. jeffrey88

jeffrey88 Member

Hiya,
    A new 6028 user here. Comcast, who is now giving these out with built in HD and DVR, swears the content of the DVR can be copied to PC (hence to DVD burners or hard drives) or to a store-bought DVD Recorder.
    Only thing is, no one at Comcast tech knows exactly how to do it.
    I will need to buy a firewire cable, I guess. My Ferarri laptop has both 1394 firewire and USC 2.0 ports. What kind of cable should I get? Then, do I get the Firmware from them or just off the internet? That link to AVS Forum is a little confusing...
    Thanks!

10. adman_dan

adman_dan Member

Jeffrey, since I'm a newbie myself I can't help you much with the product reco. I can say that if you sit-down and read the summary on AVS forum it's pretty step-by-step. Even us newbies should be able to get through it.

Can you do us a favor? If Comcast is willing to give out the firmware (and instructions), can you let us know? It might be a little more reliable than the stuff that we're scrounging off the net.

Thx.
    D.

11. jeffrey88

jeffrey88 Member

Hi,
    FYI - Comcast, at least in L.A., is using Firmware 7.15 now. They don't give out support on copying despite the fact their sales people promote copying as a feature. That's probably because the 6208 has puny capacity compared to Dish-TV, who gives out free 100 hour DVRs under rotating promotions. I could have even gotten two for $10 a month --and still might if I can't get CapDVS to recognize what it is apparently recording.
    JJ

12. div

div Member

just got my dct6208 from comcast today. They didn't leave me any docs, so I'm wondering about the capabilities of all the ports. the site hosting that .inf file isn't responding, did anyone get a copy? does it work? if so I can toss it up on my server for everyone to access too.

Thanks.

13. adman_dan

adman_dan Member

If you are having trouble accessing the .inf file, be sure that you are right-clicking on the link and selecting "Save Target As" instead of trying to access it like a webpage (which it isn't).

I got the file this way, but don't know if it works... I haven't done the install yet.

D.

14. nebula328

nebula328 Member

ahhh..i've been searching and searching for this forum! i'm in nashville and just got my dct6208. i'll really love this thing as soon as i can archive the harddrive, which i have filled in less than two weeks. i have connected to my laptop via firewire, and like everyone else it recognizes the dct6208 it just needs the drivers. anyone have any luck with the file posted...it didn't work for me. if anyone has any luck please post details....let's figure this thing out!!!

15. jeffrey88

jeffrey88 Member

Me too, Nashville. I think I loaded the meitape (sp?) drivers incorrectly or used a wrong version. I cannot get to the version mentioned eariler on this thread, it reads access denied. Will try on ie instead of netscape, but is that the version I'm looking for?
    Plus, how do I delete the drivers in my device manager? Just uninstall everything?
    Thanks

16. pjc1223

pjc1223 Member

hey all,

I was able to successfully download the drivers listed above and install my dtc6208 on my pc, having it listed as a Panisonic DVHS device.

Then I downloaded the CapDVHS program to capture the video because none of my current video capture programs would recognize the "Panisonic" (ie - Windows Movie Maker).

The CapDVHS was originally set to save file as a .mpg file. I allowed it to proceed with that at first. It seemed to record successfully.

Then came playback. I tried to use Windows Media Player since it was a .mpg file. It gave me an error and asked me to report the error, not enough detail to determing exactly what, basically just an invalid file type unusual encoding. I also tried my PowerDVD player, same thing, error. I also tried changing the extension to .ts as the post had suggested, same thing, error on both.

So I tried downloading the Elecard, but that zip was corrupt when I tried to open it. Then I tried to download the Sasem OnAir Editor. This installed successfully and actually had the ability to play back the video I had recorded, regardless of extension (.mpg, .ts, etc...).

However, once the video was playing in the OnAir Editor (which is atleast a step in the right direction having the video on the computer) I tried to do something to get it to a point where it was more accessible for other programs like Windows Media Player and Movie Maker. It was fairly limited here. All it would let me do is save the file again and it always saved it as a .trp file or something like that. This was also useless in any other program. Only the OnAir Editor had the ability to open it without an error.

The OnAir Editor doesn't seem to have any burning capabilities so...

What I wondering is, if I just burn this video from the original .ts/.mpg file or the second hand .trp file onto a DVD+R and pop it into my DVD player, will it work? I am a little hesitant to waste a DVD+R just to find out.

Let me know if anyone has any suggestions on how to make these files more managable on the pc, or if they would work in the DVD player.

Hope is not lost!!! I have seen the light of Offloaded DVR Video on the PC!!! lol hehe

17. tofuji

tofuji Member

the .ts & .trp files are mpeg-2 transport stream, while dvd's are mpeg-2 program stream, so i suspect simply putting it on a dvd+/-r won't work. but that depends on your dvd player.

i think you need to transcode the files first. i recommend trying womble's (http://www.womble.com) mpeg editor. open the file in their editor, and re-save it as an mpeg-2 program stream.

18. tablez

tablez Guest

Is it possible to transfer video with the DVI Out and using Windows Media Encoder to capture it?

Also, any methods for transfering both sound and video yet?