1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dd-wrt

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by bklyn1028, Apr 27, 2011.

1. bklyn1028

bklyn1028 Regular member

This is going to sound strange, but I had to port forward a port so my granson could host a game on Beyond, and when I got to the lynksis page, lo and behold, "DD-WRT". Now, this is weird, the last time I flashed my WRT54G was years ago to V.4. I never flashed the router's firmware to dd-wrt. I have no idea if it is still secure, nothing.
    Don't get the rubber suit yet, but i really did not flash this router. Should I leave it? Go back to Lynksis firmware? How can I tell if it is still secure? I wonder if this is why I can't see any servers on Call of Duty world at war online?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  2. mrslicker

mrslicker Regular member

ddwrt is a fine firmware. i figure someone in your household changed it without you knowing. theres a lot of configuration able to be done and some limits are removed. thats most of what i know about it. you probably still would need to forward ports to host a service, even without the ddwrt.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  3. bklyn1028

bklyn1028 Regular member

Trust me, i am as baffled as the next one. NO ONE is capable in my household changed anything. They are lucky than can turn on a computer, let alone flash firmware. I think I am going to leave things alone. I read dd-wrt is better firmware than lynksis, the kid can still play xobx. So, i'm not foolin with it anymore.
    I think I am going to get a paranormal investigator though.....lol

4. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

You can flash the firmware back the Linksys, just grab it from the site and flash back. Just make sure you get the firmware that matches your router.

5. DXR88

DXR88 Regular member

i think your kid isn't as computer illiterate as you make him/her out to be.

6. gr4v1ty

gr4v1ty Member

I have a wrt54G V8 router and was wondering what the real benefits of changing firmware to dd-wrt. How will it affect my gaming on XBL? Greatest detail is most appriciated.

I hear the firmware is better but how? I understand some things are unlocked but is it really anything that comes in real use to gaming?

If i open my "NAT" will it stay open unlike now where it will suddenly change to moderate?

7. bklyn1028

bklyn1028 Regular member

the funny thing is both kids have their own computer on this wireless network. Here's what I need it it is possible. Host cod waw. I can get into rooms/lobbies, but no one can see my room/lobby. So, do I make my computer static, or dd-wrt, or both, what? I am gettng frustrated. Should I re-flash back to lynksis?

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  8. ntense69

ntense69 Member

i have ddwrt you can overclock your router to make it perform a little faster among other things

9. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

DD-WRT is a cracking bit of firmware (see my sig, i have loads of it). Anyways, it's quite straighforward to setup port forwarding, have a look down this list ~ http://portforward.com/cports.htm

Here's an example of how it's done in DD-WRT ~

[​IMG]