1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DDR 400 OR 433 AND 550???

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Dr.xp, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Dr.xp

Dr.xp Regular member

Hi i just got in the mail 512 dual channel geil platinium pc-4400 (pc-550).

all the boards i know said to support ddr 400 not 433 or 550 how does this work.?
    my mobo: abit nf7 version 2.0 according to abit supports ddr 400 when i put the dimms and starup in bios boot screen said ddr 333mhz not even 400.

do i need to set my mems stick in the bios?
    does my board support this mems?
    geil said this mem are 8-3-3-4 cas timings

andybody who can help me??
    i want to see my mems running at 550 like they suppose to

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

check motherboard site to see if you have latest bios

3. E_Pizza

E_Pizza Regular member

Basically the answer depends on what your mobo supports and what Front Side Bus you Cpu is but by guessing its a 333Mhz FSB so as far as i know you cant have the FSB higher than the memory frequency on AMD boards. If your motherboard supports it you could change the cas timings to get that kind of frequency but it could be raher unstable and could leave your memory waiting about for your cpu to finish what its doing meaning decreased efficiency. Jus make sure you have latest bios as DDP said and know exactly what your are doing in the bios before trying anything like this.

As i often say (If it ain't broke don't fix it)

4. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey

Your board doesn't seem to support anything over 333MHZin the first revision. You wont be able to use the memory at its full speed but you can pick your next board accordingly.

Do some research before you buy and your chance of being dissapointed will decrease drasticly.

http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/products.php?categories=1&model=8

Wise words from E_Pizza.

5. Dr.xp

Dr.xp Regular member

thanx guys ill try to get a new mobo

6. wild77

wild77 Guest

This memory is defintely over kill for this combo.You are really going to have to do some serious Oc'ing and stability will be questioable.You will have to run the FSB@250mhz which is the highest your board supports.I was looking in to using an Asus board with pc4000 Corsair memory but after contacting them they suggested going with there pc3200 xms series with faster timings.The Abit seems like a decent board and as of yet I have not seen an AMD board that is rated for this type of memory.Good Luck,you might want to check out one of the overclocking forums.

7. Dr.xp

Dr.xp Regular member

wild those are wild settings 250 fsb man why they sell that stuff without telling you that. i think ill leave it at 333mhz for now because i cant spend money on new mobo right now.

thanks!!!

8. Divinus

Divinus Guest

I believe you have the same board as me, Dr. I do agree with the others in saying that memory is overkill for our board. I can get my PC3200 (400MHz) right around the 200 MHz FSB mark without loosening timings. The good thing that comes out of this is you should be able to keep your timings super tight and have a high FSB with stability.

I just flashed the bios on this board, albeit it was because of a RAID problem so I'm not really sure what it changed, never really read any of the other changes besides the raid bios update. I do know that I used to like it when it didn't know what my processor was and said "Unknown CPU Typ" and now I get AMD Athlon(tm), blah :(

Anyhow, I would play around with the memory. I'm not sure what your FSB is set at now to get the Athlon to 2.21 GHz but I'd try to get it as high as possible without pushing your CPU passed it's limits.

The board automatically resets the cmos when you're over done it, so don't worry about having to pull the cmos jumper everytime you set the FSB too high, or cas timings are wrong, etc...

If I were you I'd really just play with the settings until you're happy.

9. Dr.xp

Dr.xp Regular member

hello divinus you are rigth ill play with those sticks.
    my settings are: fsb 177mhz, 12.5 mult, cpu/ram 1:1
    timings 7-3-3-2.5.

so let me see if i get it with these mem i can try a higher fsb stable???.

ill go for that.