1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DDR600

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Praetor, May 12, 2004.

1. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

OCZ just came out with the high nd fancy DDR600! officially they are supposed to be able to run with 3-4-4-8 timings although i suspect it might be possible to run them even more aggresively :)

2. cozza1987

cozza1987 Guest

Cool... You and ya overclockin Praetor.....
    *laughs*

Regards
    CoZZa

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

And here I am still pushing DDR266!

4. cozza1987

cozza1987 Guest

well i have a little higher, i have DDR400.... not quite 600 though....

Regards
    CoZZa

5. Praetor

I got DDR333 myself and can run stable at DDR400 however i cant seem to push pass DDR420 :( Anyone have suggestions? ;-P

6. cozza1987

cozza1987 Guest

I know.... Buy DDR433.... lmao

Regards
    CoZZa

7. Praetor

Smartass :p Ive got a pair of Corsair TwinX sticks except im looking to OC this pair.

8. bird1234

bird1234 Member

Well Praetor you need more power to your ram. I don't know how much power your board can possibly give your ram. The usual limit i've seen on mobos is about 2.8V. If you can give your RAM more power, then you can USUALLY push them further. No guarentee's, you know that already. I know that abit has aboard can provide more power to the CPU and RAM. I think it's like up to 2.2V for the CPU and 3.2V for the RAM. The DFI Lanparty, which i have, can give up to 3.3V for the RAM. And if 3.3V isn't enough power or you don't want to change mobos, try doing a volt mod to your motherboard. I know i will NEVER try that to a piece of my hardware again.

9. Praetor

Ya I know.... i tried juicing the voltage a bit here and there.... it still doesnt boot well :p

10. erichm

erichm Guest

Hi Praetor,

The best way to overclock your ram would be to relax the memory timings. For example if the cas latency is at 2, try to set it at 2.5. This will give you some headroom with the frequencies.

When you relax the timings you will lose a little bit of performance, but it can often be compensated by the clock speed increase. When the memory timings are relaxed the ram doesn't have to meet the strict requirements of the latency settings which usually results in higher frequencies and better stability. When I get new ram I play with all of the settings to try to find the sweet spot. If it boots and it is stable you can run sisoft sandra to measure your performance in various settings.

11. Praetor

For the stuff im doing, the # of clock cycles isnt absolutely crucial as I will be taking advantage of burst mode. Furthemore, if i'm not horribly mistaken Ive already relaxed the timings :p It's not that big a deal -- I was just seeing how far I could push 166Mhz ram :p