1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

De-CSS errors

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by slickhorn, Jul 29, 2003.

1. slickhorn

slickhorn Member

I'm trying to back up two discs. One is a movie, Lonestar, and one is an episodic disc.

Both fail in DVD Shrink with a message something like "too many secrets." It looks like an error with De-CSS.

DVD Decryptor can't unlock the whole disc either, and I can't play either disc on my PC, though they both play fine in my standalone.

These are first of DVDs that won't back up -- is there a standard fix for this? I saw someone mention getting another copy of the dvd...is that the best way to go? Any other ideas?

2. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Is it a region encoded disc not related to that of your Drives. If its Columbia, Tristar or Warner Bors, it may have extra CSS encryption as well as region encryption

3. slickhorn

slickhorn Member

hmm....goood questions. lemme see what I can dig up on the discs, cause I don't have them in front of me.

The movie is a region 1 disc. It's a Castle Rock studio movie...don't see WB or other major branding, but it may have them.

The episodic disc is also region 1 encoded. It's a Twentieth Century Fox Home Video studio produciton.

Not sure if the discs would be different than the drive -- all hardware/dvd orignals were purchased here in the states -- shouldn't they all be region 1?

4. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Yeah, they should be all region 1. Whats the exact error you get?

5. slickhorn

slickhorn Member

I'll have to rerun DVD Shrink and DVD Decryptor this evening when I get home to give you the verbatim error code.

In DVD Shrink, I get an error about too many secrets beeing stored...sounds almost like trying to handle 128-bit encryption with 64-bit routines...it just can't handle the amount, the depth, of the encryption.

In DVD Decryptor, I get an error message that some files are still locked. I think it's the last big VOB file. It suggests playing it in a software player then trying again, but the software player won't play the DVD back.

6. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

this is interesting!

i would of said play the movie in powerDVD then rip with dvd decrytor ! try booting fresh then play movie! then rip?

is there any way of making sure its region 1? and have you locked your dvd drive to a region yet? meaning used up your 5 region changes?

Thx need more info this sounds serious!!!

Thx...

7. slickhorn

slickhorn Member

Well, at least it's interesting, I guess. ;-)

I have only region 1 dvds. I have another copy of Lonestar which I bought in the Netherlands, but I generally don't use it. So, there shouldn't have been any region changes, or region locking on the drives. I don't how to "verify" that it's region, but I'll see what I can find.

I've rebooted, and tried again. Part of my thinking process was that the problem might have been caused by de-cssing other movies. But that didn't fix anything. I'll try again with a reboot then play then rip.

I'll post specific error messages this evening.

Thanks for all the ideas.

8. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

ok heres a good piont! both powerDVD software and dvd drives run on ASPI layers!!!

have you installed any burning apps lately? or update the ASPI layer to run them both!!!

thx

9. slickhorn

slickhorn Member

hmmm...I did install Nero 5.5 a few weeks ago. Didn't update my ASPI from what I already had. I think I have an adaptec ASPI layer. I have been successfully backing DVDs up since then though.

What ASPI layer do I need?

10. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

11. slickhorn

slickhorn Member

Ah I didn't realize Nero had overwritten my other ASPI layer. Maybe I should read some of those install screens...

I'll install this as soon as I get home and let you know what happens.

Thanks!

12. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

nero uses its own in its own folfer!! only!

[​IMG]

13. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

nero uses its own in its own folder!! only!

[​IMG]__X_X_X_X_X_[small]XP 1700 TBred [o/c 2004mhz = 12X167/33 = FSB-334mhz]
    A7V8X SATA150/RAID 2x80 gig [Bios 1012]
    HERCULES 3D PROPHET [9700 Pro]
    XMS Corsair Platinum pc3500 2x512 1024 meg
    ENERMAX PSU 550watts
    [​IMG] [/small]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2003
  14. slickhorn

slickhorn Member

hmmm...not sure I understand. Nero will install its ASPI layer into it's own folder and uses that layer for itself?

How would this have upset my previous ASPI layer setup?

I'll check the version I have installed. The revision date on the adaptec layer is not new, so I doubt it's newer than what I had installed...

are you saying I shouldn't install the new adapted ASPI layer? got a bit confused....

15. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

sorry! yes nero installs its own aspi layer! due to windows xp not having one!

so to burn and use cdroms you install aspi layer for windows alot of programs have there own so most times its not a problem!

but it does count! i have the latest always! its on that page! the link i sent, not sure on the mechanics i just know for definate you need them!!!

so yes uninstall all burning apps and powerdvd (then reboot!!!!) then install what you need to use and the windows aspi layer one too! then try to play disc if original it should play !!!

then rip it! thats going on the region is correct for region 1 and all your drives are region one!

Thx..

16. slickhorn

slickhorn Member

Ok. I'm running Win2K pro...should have specified previously. It doesn't have an ASPI layer natively either, of course. I've stashed a copy of the latest ASPI layer from adaptec

I think uninstall/reinstall is a good idea. I'll give you an update later this afternoon.

thanks! ;-)

17. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

no probs at all! let us know how it goes and we can go from there! its nearly 21.30 here so time to chill out by the telly! night!

Thx..

18. slickhorn

slickhorn Member

haha...right on. nite!

19. slickhorn

slickhorn Member

Well, I got things working. It's a long, sordid tale of BIOS checksum errors, blue screens of death, physical memory dumps, ASPI layer upon ASPI layer, and, ultimately, a fresh install of Win2K.

I did find that the Adaptec ASPI layer wouldn't let me see or use my drive in DVD Decryptor. Compel WinASPI did, though, so I was able to get the DVDs ripped.

Must have just hit critical mess in my Win2K installation.

Thanks for the help!