1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DEAD Ps3 - Proof of Purchase lost - SONY SAYS TOUGH!

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by wputnam1, Dec 31, 2007.

1. wputnam1

wputnam1 Member

After only 7 weeks, our PS3 has died... We lost our receipt, and The Gamestop store and Gamestop's customer service is unable to provide with a copy so SONY says sorry!!! We need proof of purchase!
    $500 of SONY JUNK

Credit cards statment will not work as it only shows that Gamestop charged us some $600 with no detail of what....

NOW WHAT DO I DO ??????

2. CKhaleel

CKhaleel Regular member

Call Sony and send it in to them.

Your under warranty, right?

3. wputnam1

wputnam1 Member

Under warranty - Sort of... It is NEW, only 7 weeks, yet they state that they REQUIRE proof of purchase paperwork

4. wputnam1

wputnam1 Member

Sony stated on the phone that they are sending me a box to send it. BUT - I need a copy of our receipt (We lost it due to the holiday mess)...

The PS 3 is an 80 gig and Sony even knows that the model # tells them that it was manufactured just a couple on months ago... With a one year Warranty, why screw me just because I can't find a receipt?

If I send it in with no receipt, I wonder what happens????????

5. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

Standard practice.

6. wputnam1

wputnam1 Member

Standard practice meaning ???
    MS fixed my XBOX 360 when it finally crashed after 2 yrs 11 months... I didn't need proof..

So what happens - Will Sony try to charge me?????

7. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

And the only reason why MS did that and why they allowed yours to be repaired was to avoid a class action lawsuit from the masses...as for standard practice it is meant exactly as it states. Sony does this so people who try to get over and abuse warranty policies won't be able to. Sorry to say it but how is it Sony's fault to protect themselves when someone can't show proof of time of purchase? My best suggestion would be if you purchased it by credit card then that should work OR if it is an 80gb/40gb then MAYBE it will be covered as those should (no matter what) be covered by a warranty as they have not been out for more than a year...but that last one is a long stretch and I don't know if it has been tested/confirmed to work. GL hope you find your receipt.

8. wputnam1

wputnam1 Member

It is a 80 gig unit and SONY admitted that they can tell by the model number that the unit is about two months old.... Gee, then why not just fix the thing!

9. ooZEROoo

ooZEROoo Regular member

Two years Eleven months? Xbox 360 hasn't been out that long. Also people have been confirming that Sony is accepting PS3s with just a serial number and not a receipt.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2008
  10. dreamer2

dreamer2 Regular member

although i own all most of sony products like pc, ps2,ps3,laptop and cameras and some other stuff but recently i didn't had good experience with their technical support for a product which was under warranty.For some reason my laptop didnt booted so i called sony and went through al their trial and erro process. After that they asked me to fax them the receipt . i was lucky that i bought from best buy with my credit card so i got receipt from them. But i called sony customer service like 7 times and i had to spend like atleast 8 hours with their customer support and at the end some tech guy showed up in my home and fixed the laptop but guess what he didnt fixed latop keypad properly and also the wireless switch went inside laptop it wasnt that good of experience. thats was my experience with sony . cant say about microsoft tech support as i ddint have any experience with their product. its an honest experience that i wrote. nothing else

11. henryryry

henryryry Member

My friend sent his broken PS3 without a receipt, it was still under warranty and they simply replaced it with a new one. So I concur with ooZEROoo and say just send it in without the receipt. And quit complaining about Sony... it is not their fault that you lost the receipt.

12. wputnam1

wputnam1 Member

OK, we'll send it in... And here I was thinking of a U-Tube hammer bashing - We'll wait on that until the fat lady sings....

13. ziggi_83

ziggi_83 Regular member

How many times did you try calling them, there must be one person who will allow the collect and return of your PS3. I had mine replaced when i lost my receipt but i live in the UK.

14. Smoggie80

Smoggie80 Member

Myhard drive corrupted, i phoned customer services, and they sent one out within 2 days.... not even a mention of receipts or anything.

15. wnyzfine

wnyzfine Member

umm if you paid with a credit card.. why not going back to the gamestop you purchased it, i am sure they will print a copy for you

16. wputnam1

wputnam1 Member

Gamestop stores CAN NOT print copies after 30 days. They told me; They do not trust the employees.

So I called the Gamestop corp. customer service; They have no way to print from the software that access's the database.

I am hoping that SONY will just repair it under warranty since they can tell from the serial number that it only 2 months old...

17. wputnam1

wputnam1 Member

Bank says that since I used a DEBIT card, very little details are available. If i had asked them to charge my debit as a CC, then the merchant reports an itemized list...

So I called back to the Gamestop corp. office customer service, and this time, I got someone that was willing to e-mail a copy of my purchase... (They claim they can't and have no means, yet they do.)

ADVISE TO ALL;
    1) Purchase items using Credit Card or Debit as a Credit Card
    2) Keep receipts - (Normally we don't loose them like in this case)
    3) When buying a PS3 or any game console, BUY THE $50 protection plan!

I posted so find out from others ideas and to share with others so we all learn. Hopefully, this info helps someone else....

18. wnyzfine

wnyzfine Member

heere is what you do,

Call Up Sony Again, be nice (do not be an ass)
    Tell Them Your Situation, DO NOT MENTION YOU LOST THE RECEIPT!! if they do not ask you ..

if they ask you for the date of purchase merely say a date within the date you bought it
    (e.x if you remember it was towards the end of oct) you can say October 28, tell them where GAMESTOP.

If they start asking specifically for the receipt just state that you can't find the reciept, but stress that the PS3 Verison you own came out 3 Months ago, and you can certify the order with a Bank Statement, just make a quick cute joke "who spends $700 at games stop, for used games lol"
    but seriously, this should be the ok, they may ask to hold a credit card until they receive your ps3.
    if they keep being annoying ask to speak with a supervisor, and explain to him, why do you need a receipt.

IN END ,, Get the supervisors name/location/ or badge id.
    let him know you will be filing a complaint with your Attorney General,

/Call Gamestop Corporate, tell them your store refuses to process a receipt - and major retailers like TARGET/CIRCUIT CITY/BEST BUY/WAL-MART can pull up orders from credit cards for UP TO SIX MONTHS! It's implied that Gamestop can do the same since they are a national brand, and you will make a complaint with the Attorney General.

This is misleading the consumer, and illegally waiving rights, most states should have common sense laws, in this case you have a ps3 that was released 3 months ago, obviously you haven't surpasses the 12 month warranty. AND DID YOU KNOW, Your warranty could be extended by 90 Days per return, in most states.

19. wputnam1

wputnam1 Member

Thanks... We did call back to Gamestop corp. customer service and someone did a print screen and emailed it to us.. So now we wait for the SONY - Return for repair Box...

My kids are poking me that this is taking so long... I just tell them to go play with the 360 & Wii....