1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dead Xbox?

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by ranchdip, Jun 10, 2004.

1. ranchdip

ranchdip Member

Dead Xbox?

I just installed my first Xecuter 2 lite mod chip in my xbox. I bought the solder version because I feel pretty confident with a soldering gun. Well… I’ve got, what appears to be, some serious problems.

Here are my specs:

Ver. 1.0 Xbox
    Xecuter 2 lite mod chip w/Cromwell 2.28
    Thomson Drive (I know it’s a piece of crap)
    Original hard drive

My buddy and I installed the chip per the instructions, fired them up and everything looked great. Both machines got the “Insert CD…” message. We built the Bios flash CD, put it in my friend’s xbox (v1.1, Thomson drive) and the CD-RW loaded the bios without a hitch. I then loaded the CD into my drive and to my surprise the disk didn’t read. IT spun up like normal but it didn’t read. I tried at least a dozen times. I burned a DVD-R and RW with no luck. (I think my first couple DVD’s didn’t have the correct size bios.bin file)

I decided to pull my buddies Thomson drive out and hooked it into my xbox. I thought for sure that it was my drive. Well, that didn’t work either. His drive, which loaded fine on his xbox, didn’t work on mine. I began to get concerned that there was something wrong other than my drive.

I decided to boot up to the normal xbox bios bypassing the mod chip. All I got after the standard boot up sequence and “Xbox” logo was the “…Xbox requires service..” message. Note: I made sure all of the switch settings were correct at every stage of testing.

I’ve read here and searched post on this subject and read that that it could possibly be that my hard drive got “unlocked” or I might have a bad solder connection somewhere. Also, if my hard drive is locked and I don't have a bios installed, how could I lock it back? (If that's what's wrong with it) Are there any other considerations as to why I can’t load either the bios CD or boot up to “normal” xbox bios? Keep in mind, my friends xbox modded fine and I even tried using his CDROM drive. Could this also possibly be a bad chip?

I actually pulled the chip out and removed the d0 connection and tried to boot up to the original xbox and it still hangs after the Xbox logo. The eject button flashes red/green/red/green and the message on the screen says "Xbox requires service." Is this a hard drive frag?

Thanks in advance!

Kyle

2. lcarbutt

lcarbutt Regular member

yes thats a frag, and its your wireing thats causeing it not to flash, just re solder it and try not to put to much solder on it(this causes the circuit to become to long)

o and it has NOTHING to do with your hard drive, the BIOS gets stored on your chip not the HDD.

3. ranchdip

ranchdip Member

Thanks so much for the response.

Does that mean I would have to reflash my Xbox bios too?

I pulled the chip out and desoldered the d0 connection and still got the "Xbox requires service" message.

Thanks..

KS