1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Debating getting a Mount/Stand for Tv, need help

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by moloo, Dec 2, 2009.

1. moloo

moloo Member

hi,

i'm currently trying to decide whether to use a mount/stand rather than my small entertainment system i've built but have a couple questions. how do these stands keep the tv on the wall because obviously i don't want the tv to fall. also how does the tv attach to the stand to be mounted?

2. dailun

dailun Active member

The answer is:

"It depends".

Wall mounts must be attached to the STUDS on the wall, what this means is there must be mounting studs on the wall in the position where you want to mount the TV. This is not practical for all viewing rooms.

For free standing TV stands I have seen two types:

1. The TV just "sits" on the stand, you will need to secure it to the nearest wall, or secure the TV to the srtand and the stand to the wall.

2. Stand mounts, which are essentially "wall mounts" on a stand. A vertical riser extends from the reaf of the stand and presents a "wall mount" bracket to which the TV is fastened. The TV is secured to the stand but the stand must still be secured to the wall or the floor.

3. moloo

moloo Member

thanks for the explaination. my house is really old so we don't have studs unfortuneatly but from what your saying mounting a tv seems like a lot of work. I think i'm just going to buy something from ikea once i get my apps and speakers.