1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Decisions Decisions - Media Choice

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by PK44, Nov 12, 2004.

1. PK44

PK44 Member

Been using the 25 pack dvd-r bundles at best buy (the older ones before the newest cheap sale batch) and I'm running low and very hesitant to try the new ones everyone is complaining about, they're out of stock everywhere anyway. I'm trying to make a decision for the best media for my [bold]Lite-On SOHW-1633s[/bold] and have recently tried a test dvd Ritek G04 and it plays on the burner but not on the 2 Toshiba DVD players I have. My next option is Prodisc but I'm a little unsure because it seems that their media ID's have changed as of late themselves. Taiyo Yuden is my first choice but a little more expensive.

Here's my main question, when a dvd says it's 8x's, I realize that I can burn it at 4x for better compatibility but is there any difference in the media from 4x to 8x? Would I be better off purchasing TY 4x compared to the 8x, the 8x is a little cheaper and I'm hoping I can just burn it at 4x.

Let me know what you think, as well as my selections for media. My friend swore that Ritek would work but the disk locked up on load and I had to hit the menu button during the 2 seconds before lockup in order to get it to work, but I don't want to do that forever.

2. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Before looking too closely at the media, I'd recommend making sure you have the most current firmware for your burner. As far as the media itself goes, I've been using Ritek G04s almost exclusively for nearly 2 years and I'm very happy with them, however I don't think they're as much of a "sure thing" as they used to be so I'm probably going to be switching to TY the next time I order. Like you, I'm not worried about burning any faster than 4x (my first burner was a 2x so I'm not going to complain about 15 minute burns) and I think the $0.25 - $0.40 per disc price difference is easily justified by going from a good disc to a great one.

Now that I've decided to make the switch I also have a selfish interested in convincing others to do the same. The more of us there are buying them, the better the prices will be.

3. PK44

PK44 Member

Thanks for the feedback. Last night I upgraded the firmware, it seemed to go from letter A to K so hopefully it will be compatible with more. Unfortunately, I didn't test that RitekG04 with the new firmware. I've come to the point where I want to be sure I have media that will work with any burner or dvd player it's put in, TY seems to be the answer (funny as it is also my son's name). So if I understand, the difference between 8x and 4x is nothing that I should be concerned with as far as quality or media code, just preference in burn speed? I don't care about 4x-8x difference, I'll burn with 4 if I know it's better off that way. The media will be just as reliable as a 4x?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2004
  4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

PK44,
    Lite-ons prefer dvd+r media. The best budget media I have found is branded Ritek Ridata dvd+r (media code Ricohjpn R01 preferably although the Ritek R03's aren't bad). These are all I use with my SOHW-832S and play on everything I've tried since I booktype them dvd-rom.

There is no reason why you can't burn 8x media at 4x and actually most will tell you for vidio, to lower the chance of write errors, burn at 4x or below (with a few exceptions).

5. vurbal

There can definitely be differences between 8x and 4x media as it should use a different dye formulation, but generally speaking, a quality manufacturer will make quality media at any speed (although you can't always assume a manufacturer that starts making good dye for a given speed has always made good dye).

One thing I didn't mention about TY is that they don't sell different grades of media. Where Ritek will sell media that doesn't pass quality control tests as B Grade or lower (but they won't sell it under their name which is why branded Riteks are recommended), TY throws away any media that doesn't pass muster. That means every TY disc at least starts out equal. Of course you still have to consider how it was handled between TY's factory and your door (and watch out for fakes), but you don't have to look for the grade in the fine print.

6. catfreak

catfreak Active member

Last edited: Nov 12, 2004
  7. vurbal

Good price? I think that's the best I've ever seen for TY - by a wide margin!

8. PK44

PK44 Member

Mort81 you said the LiteOn prefers +R, why do you say that? I've used both TDK +R and -R with no problems, my dvd player favors the -R so that's what I stuck with.

http://www.supermediastore.com/taiyo-yuden-silver-thermal-8x-dvd-r-media-100.html

you guys recommend RIMA over Supermediastore.com?

Hopefully I won't need to but I'm just thinking if I need to return these for whatever reason.... any experiences with RMA's and refunds?

9. catfreak

catfreak Active member

... I use a lot of media in my set top LiteOn LVW-5005, and I've found that the DVD+R discs I create are playable in all of the players in my house (all 6) while the DVD-R media balks from time to time ... The recorder also tells me "no disc" from time to time with the -R stuff ... I haven't tried the TY media, however ... I go with the RICOHJPNR01 coded RiDATA ... good stuff ...

10. vurbal

The Ritek +Rs with Ricoh dye are probably a whole different can of worms anyway. Since they're actually Ricoh discs I'd guess that Ricoh sets the quality control standards and therefore it's up to them what gets done with discs that don't pass quality control. This is an educated guess based on the fact I've never heard of B grade discs with Ricoh dye. If I'm right that would certainly be a good reason to consider discs with that dye at least a close second in quality to TY, if not just as good.

11. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

PK44,
    I'm just going by research I've done on Lite-on dvdrws, something to do with the lasser wobble when burning. I'm not saying they won't work with -r media, just they perform better with +r and from personal experiences, I've had much better success with +r (Ricohjpn) than I have had with -r (Ritek G04).

If I want fail proof backups I go with Taiyo Yuden dvd+r booktyped dvd-rom although the Ricohs are a close 2nd.

12. kchev

kchev Regular member

I have bought 300 of the TY's from Rima without one coaster. I have scanned several and they all scan perfect. That is the only place I will buy me TY discs from.

As for returns, I recently got 2 bad spindles of G04 Ridatas. I just e-mailed them with problem and they sent me an RMA number within hours. No bullcrap runaround whatsoever. They let me exchange them for anything I wanted.

If you get the TY discs, you won't have to worry about returning them.

13. PK44

PK44 Member

you guys rock. seriously.

now it looks like I'm back where I started!!!! +R/-R

14. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I did manage some descent burns on the G04s if I burned them at 2x and then it's still no guarantee. I think they're having some consistancy problems because my first batch all burned fine at 4x. No problems with the Ricohjpns what so ever.

15. ERA2000

ERA2000 Regular member

I just made the switch to Taiyo Yudens and I love 'em
    Got a 50pk of printable DVD+R 8x for $40 +Shipping from RIMA.
    Can't beat that.