1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Decoding a PS2 from Region 1 into a multi-region player

Discussion in 'PS2' started by IRC, Feb 8, 2005.

1. IRC

IRC Member

Hi,
    I moved from the US to the Netherlands and cannot play local Sony games on my US Playstation. Does anyone know how I can decode it to allow me to play games from all regions please?
    Thanks for any suggestions!

2. nep14432

nep14432 Member

what type of ps2?

3. IRC

IRC Member

Thanks Newbie. It's just a standard kids'PS2 you can buy at Best Buy etc. The model number is SCPH-50001. is it possible to carck the code easily - I'm not very computer-literate I'm afraid...
    Look forward to hearing from you once more!
    Thanks.

4. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

you need to mod your ps2 with either a modchip or use swap magic discs and a fliptop/slide card.

5. IRC

IRC Member

Is that easy to do Sly? I don't want to damage my kids' Playstation, they just got it delivered here after waiting 2 months for it to come by vessel from the USA!! Pls advise and many thanks for getting back to me!

6. nep14432

nep14432 Member

There are two ways to mod the ps2

either by something called swap magic, or by using a mod chip

go to modchip.com

The swap magic is easyer to do, but is a little annoying to do after sometime. Everytime you want to play an import you have to set in the swap magic disc then take it out and putt the import in. This can be harmful to the laser after some time. And you will also need to buy a tool called a slide card to use to open up the disc tray, while it is still spinning.

The modchip is harder to install, but once installed you need to do nothing to play anything you want, except for putting the disc in. And this way I would recommened to you. But it requires soldering, but there are plenty of places on-line where you can find tips on how to solder.

Try chipzone.com they have a good amount of info on modding consoles. chipzone is the place where I bought my modchip, they are really fast at shipping and have good prices. Good amount of useful tips for newbies too.

7. messup000

messup000 Member

Make Sure if you do get swapmagic disc get the pal version form europe so it plays on your ps2

Last edited: Apr 9, 2005