1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Decrypter -- Nero DVD9, won't play correctly. Why?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by bjorsa, Feb 24, 2007.

1. bjorsa

bjorsa Member

I used DVD Decrypter to copy my DVD "You Me and Dupree" to my HDD and then burned it all with Nero. It was in vob. format, or whatever it's called. I used a DL disc since the files weighed 5.89 Gb. Nero pop-up-warned me the disc might not play correctly, but then again, Nero does that a lot for no any apparent reason.

But the disc won't play past the selection screen, it just bumps back there after the logos if I click "play movie". My stand-alone player promptly spits the DVD out, never even presenting any menues.

I tried convert it all to an iso file using Folder2ISO. Nero refused it. However, DVD Decrypter is willing to burn it. But I'm reluctant to chance yet another DVD9 disc. Will that disc play on my stand-alone?

I'm such a beginner when it comes to this ripping stuff. But I have to learn it myself, because I plan to back up all my DVD movies. My trouble is that all the guides seem aimed at people who wants to compress everything - the more the better. (For whatever reason I don't know. HDD space is practically free and broadband standard. Still folks insist on burning a two hour movie on a CD!) I'm not about to defile my projector with compressed material like that. The plan is to use my back-ups and store the originals in a safer place.

Most discs presents no problems. I decrypt and Nero. But sometimes DVD decrypter complains about something and I have to chose "skip file" and sometimes the end result just won't play. Is there a fool-proof way?

What would a knowledgeable guy do?
    Thanks in advance!

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

My experince with Nero has been that if it warns you something won't play, it won't play. You need to correct whatever is causing the error.

First, the best DVD DL media is Verbatim:

[​IMG]

What I recommend is that you rip with Rit4me and burn with ImgBurn. Nero is not recommended.

Read the Ripit4me guide here. It's easy in the "1 click" mode'

ImgBurn is a much better DL burner than anything else and its free. Get it here. Look under downloads.
    You would open the ripit4me files in the build mode and create the ISO.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2007
  3. bjorsa

bjorsa Member

Thanks for the suggestions.

ImgBurn bluescreened on me twice in a row while burning. I can't afford to use that program any more.

RipIt4Me seemed nice enough. But what do I do with movies already on my HDD? I ripped them with DVDDecrypter and some of those DVDs are already at my brother's. Must I get them back, so RipIt4Me recognizes them, or is there a way to handle the vob. files so I can burn a compatible DVD?

As you can understand I'd like a solution that assures stand-alone DVD player compatibility, avoids ImgBurn, never compromises picture/sound quality and preferably also works with the films I've already ripped to my HDD. Am I dreaming or is this possible? Even if I'm a tad thick?

4. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

bjorsa,
    If the files are on your HD then use VobBlanker or FixVTS to correct the DVD structure.

If ImgBurn Bluescreened your Monitor or froze the computer then you are having computer problems and it is not software related.

There are a few programs that will do a D/L disk properly and they are Imgburn, CloneCD, PgcEdit and DVDDecrypter. Shrink, Nero and the other program have layer flag problems and most of the time improperly pad the ifo, bup files incorrectly which will cause you problems if you try to copy that copy.

5. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I agree with absolutely everything CarMike said.
    I would always want my PC to be able to run ImgBurn. If it's making your PC bluescreen then consider that as a test of your PC. not a failure of ImgBurn. You should mention this over at the ImgBurn forum or at least take a look at the ImgBurn FAQs.