1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

decrypter or intervideo dvdcopy3 problem

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by dickdast, Mar 10, 2005.

1. dickdast

dickdast Member

Hey,
    I have copied a few movies, but have noticed that if decrypter does not find the title of the movie,(names it DVD_VIDEO instead) dvd copy burns the movie, but seems like it doesn't finalize. There is usually visible line on the disk after burning and it and it won't play in a regular dvd player.
    If decrypter finds the title it will work fine.
    Anyone have an explaination for this? any ideas?
    thanks

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Yeah throw Decrypter to the curb and use AnyDVD with DVD Copy3... Sorry that the only way I know to fix that problem, and I am not sure why that happens.. We need Brobear for this one he is a DVDcopy3 expert :)

3. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i may be barking up the wrong hosepipe but doesn't decryptor use nero under the hood. i have nero installed anyway but im sure thats what i've read. sounds like thats where ya problem is anyhow

Rich

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Decrypte does not no way use Nero for anything.. I believe you are thinking of DVD Shrink

5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

oh yeah doh i knew one of the 2 proggies could burn under the hood!. plus i didnt see the giveaway hint 'dvd copy' used to burn as it didnt stand it in original post

tired eyes :)

Rich

6. dickdast

dickdast Member

thanks bbmayo.
    I'll have to try anydvd.
    I was hoping I just needed to tweak the settings.
    Ever make a dvd image using decrypter?
    Wondered if that would make a difference.
    So how do I get ahold of Brobear anyway.:)

7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I will get him to come here... :)

8. brobear

brobear Guest

Hey BB.

@dickdast
    I recognize what you're saying about DVD Decrypter assigning a default name for a folder when the studio that pressed the disc didn't insert the name. That doesn't have anything to do with ripping and transcoding the Video_TS folder, as you can go into the folder and select Video_TS to open the movie files for recording. That way "DVD Video" only becomes part of the path. (DVDCopy3 is one of the programs where one can choose the folder or the Video_TS movie file in the named folder to do the recording. In some programs the folder has to be opened and Video_TS selected or it won't work.) I've seen many DVDs that are named DVD Video and have had no problem backing them up with DVD Decrypter and DVDCopy3. PCs see this as a binary code anyway, it only interprets to English so the user understands what's going on. I guess I was being a bit verbose in saying that the default naming of a folder has little to do with the burn completing successfully. There has to be more to it. The circumstances with named files sounds like it is just a coincidence.

I've done a lot of backups with DVD Decrypter. Over the past several months, I've been using AnyDVD as well. The only time I've run into rip problems has been with faulty discs and the new structural encryption. So, I doubt the problem is with DVD Decrypter. If there was a problem, we would have heard about it before now and I would have probably encountered it as well. As far as DVDCopy3 goes, it isn't infallible. But, it doesn't suffer from not being able to read paths to a folder once it has been selected. (You shouldn't allow Decrypter to rip to a "DVD Video" folder that has content in it. I once pressed the wrong buttons and allowed it to happen.)

BTW, Visible lines are usually where a disc isn't burned. I get these all the time at the beginning and end. When the content of the file is noticably smaller than the capacity of the disc, there will be a very noticable line or band where the laser doesn't burn the disc.

We'll start off with a few questions. You said the backups won't play on a regular player; [bold]does that mean they will play on the PC or won't play anywhere?[/bold] I had one problem with DVDCopy3 not transcoding properly. It burned, but only the titles and menus (however, the limited content played ). It was one of the newer movies with structural encryption. Transcoding to the hard drive, I could tell the entire movie folder was there. Then I burned the folder with a separate burning program (quicker than going back into DVDCopy3 to use its built in burner). That was one in hundreds and a special situation created by the studios with structural encryption. [bold]Here's the rest of the questions, what is the brand and model of standalone player you're trying to play the DVD backups on? What brand and format is the media you're using? Are the discs that play, with the named folders, recorded on the same media? What are the names of the DVDs you're trying to back up that don't play? Are the DVDs that don't play properly backed up from factory DVD ROM movies?[/bold]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2005
  9. dickdast

dickdast Member

Wow! Now I know why bbmayo recomended you Bro bear.
    You really know your s**t when it comes to dvd backups.
    Thanks for writing back.
    Here are the questions you asked with my anwers. Thanks again for your help.
    You said the backups won't play on a regular player; does that mean they will play on the PC or won't play anywhere? Yes they will play on pc. Will not play in dvd player recorder.

what is the brand and model of standalone player you're trying to play the DVD backups on? panasonic dmr-e80h recorder

What brand and format is the media you're using?Teon dvd-r 8x

Are the discs that play, with the named folders, recorded on the same media? yes

What are the names of the DVDs you're trying to back up that don't play? The_Forgotten ,The_grudge are two that I can think of.

Are the DVDs that don't play properly backed up from factory DVD ROM movies? yes factory movies
    thanks again

10. brobear

brobear Guest

Teon media is one of the ones I know nothing about. In fact it isn't one of the ones listed in sites I frequent. But, if the others play, then media probably isn't the current problem.

You just named two of the most difficult movies to backup due to the new encryption systems being used. In fact The Forgotten, if I remember correctly, was the movie that caused DVDCopy3 to do the partial transcode and burn. I'd suggest going ahead and downloading the AnyDVD trial from Slysoft http://www.slysoft.com . Read the product description to understand how the program works. Let it run all the time during the recording process. I let it run while ripping.

I forgot to ask, what software are you using to transcode and burn the DVDs?

Download and install DVD Shrink if you don't already have it. http://www.dvdshrink.org Good virtual quickstart guides for Shrink can be found at http://www.dvdshrink.info . With AnyDVD running open the disc in Shrink. Select No Compression in the Video section on the right of the Shrink window. When you click backup choose the Create Hard Drive Folder as the burn option and rip the DVD to the hard drive. Then use your backup program of choice to transcode and burn the ripped files.

I did these with AnyDVD and Decrypter, but Shrink may be easier. Post back and let us know what happens. If you try the Decrypter route, there are error warnings involved, that's why I suggested ripping with Shrink and AnyDVD. Shrink corrects minor structural flaws caused by the structural encryption of these DVDs.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2005
  11. dickdast

dickdast Member

Sorry took so long to respond.
    I tried what you said and had no luck.
    I did upgrade dvd decrypter so I think I'll stick with
    that until I learn more about these other programs.
    thanks again for all your help.

12. brobear

brobear Guest

Sort of wondered what happened to you. Read my post over and answer the questions if you still need help. All I know from your post is that you have a problem and you updated your version of Decrypter, which they've been doing updates on just recently. It's now 3.5.4.0. You didn't tell me anything about your software setup except that you have DVD Decrypter.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2005