1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Definalize my DVD+RW disc?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by ashroy01, Jan 9, 2005.

1. ashroy01

ashroy01 Regular member

I just used my DVD+RW disc to burn a movie for the first time. I had no hardware problems burning or playing. When I went back to try and burn another movie on it, Nero said the disc was not writable.
    The "Finalize Disc" option was checked so I'm thinking maybe I finalized it unknowingly the first time I used it. I'm trying to reuse this, I use it to test out my movies.

Can the disc be definalized somehow? I thought they had to be finalized to work in your player?

2. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

If it's a rewritable (+RW), just burn another movie right over it. Usually, if another burn program sees that there is already something on a RW, it will ask you if it's okay to erase it. You can do this first by using 'quick erase' in any burn program ( you don't have to use full erase). The finalize just means you can't write any more data to the disc, and it will create a TOC to the disc.

3. ashroy01

ashroy01 Regular member

Tried using the quick erase. It says the disc is not rewritable and therefore cannot be erased. I'm pretty sure it's rewritable. The disc has a somewhat rectangular "RW" logo on the right-hand side with "DVD+R" in small font underneath. It came with my Lite-On burner along with a single dvd-r.

4. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Your disk is not rewritable. Most + and - disks have that 'RW' logo on it. That just means they are blank media. The "DVD+R" is what counts. That is the type of disk you have.

5. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

It could be that the discs are defective. I had a few of Fuji and Memorex DVD+RWs that Nero just could not erase, so I know what you're saying. I actually sent them back to Fuji (because they are under lifetime warranty) and they sent me replacements. Memorex didn't even ask me to send the original. I don't know if it was a firmware issue, but maybe you can bring it over to a friend's house and try to erase it there. That's the only other suggestion I have. BTW, it happened when I did full erase, never when I used quick erase.