1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Definate newbie here

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by hongkong, Feb 5, 2005.

1. hongkong

hongkong Member

I have 4.0.3.8 xcopy An xp w/ all minimum req. When i back up a disc it plays ok untill about half way in, then it freezes and jumps. I am using Phillips 4x dvd+r.

2. J_man

J_man Regular member

Most of Philips dvd media is manufactured by CMC.
    Poor quality media. Try some better quality media like (Verbatim,Taiyo Yudens,Tdk) to name a few.

3. Whitfield

Whitfield Regular member

Good chance it is the media but why noy use Shrink and Decryptor--they are free and produce better quality--try different media like Sony, Verbatim, Maxell--maybe get an RW disk for practicing--

Whitfield

4. hongkong

hongkong Member

O.K. I will try that is that probably the prob? The sells guy had tdk dvd-r's but no +'s. He said that phillips was high quality but maybe not huh? I was going to install a new dvd drive is this nessicary? Some one said that my laser may be getting old and not burning deep enough.

5. hongkong

hongkong Member

Whitfeild when I tried to use shrink when annalizing the dvd's (all of them) it would get about 95 percent though and then it would say unable to complete. Then if I tried to create a back up one from it same thing? I am sorry I am terribly new at this any info would be great.

6. J_man

J_man Regular member

How long have you been backing up dvd's with your current burner? What type(model#) of burner?
    How much free space is on your hard drive?
    When you said the dvd freezes and jumps does this only happen once in the middle of the movie or quite often as the dvd is playing.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2005
  7. hongkong

hongkong Member

J-man I am just using just the stock burner that came in my dell dimension 4550. I hope that is enough info, it has always had some trouble reading some disc's from cd's to some software( from the moment we got it home) could I have a bad drive? I have a new I/O magic extrernal usb 2.0 8X dvd rewriteable ready to install should i do it?

8. J_man

J_man Regular member

O.K you defintly haven't burned enough to weaken the laser,but that does not rule out a bad drive.
    Left click my computer to highlight then right click and select properties, then hardware,then device manager and then click the + in front of DVD/CD-rom drives and post what is listed.

You might need a firmware update as well.

9. Whitfield

Whitfield Regular member

I agree with J-Man--go to device manager and see what it shows--

10. hongkong

hongkong Member

O.K. It says NECDVD+rw ND-1100a, sorry I have only burned 2 dvd's but alot of cds maybe 50?

11. hongkong

hongkong Member

I have only tried to burn two dvd's both ok at begining then half way in starts to freeze up. Where could I get a firm ware update as well? My drive is NEC DVD +RW ND 1100A

12. J_man

J_man Regular member

Here is a link to the firmware for your drive.

http://support.necsam.com/oem/downloads/flashfirmware/readme.asp?ID=1

If this is confusing for you then I would suggest getting some higher quality media and try that first.
    Here are a few suggestions (Verbatim,Taiyo Yudens,Tdk) to name a few.

Also make sure you do a disc defrag on your hard drive,turn off antivirus when backing up a dvd and do not use or have any programs running in the back ground ( screensavers,internet ect.)

Then download the new version of DVD Decrypter. Try using it to ripp to your hard drive first instead of shrink.
    Then open shrink and do your compress or reauthring and burn once again with decrypter.

Get decrypter here:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_decrypter.cfm

Last edited: Feb 5, 2005
  13. hongkong

hongkong Member

OK I downloaded the decypter. Put in a dvd it did what it had to I quess. I open dvd shrink I hate to ask you to walk me through this but.... Will you walk me through this.... like I said it copied all the files on the disc I opened shrink what now?

14. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

The best way to learn is to walk it through yourself. ScubaPete has a great link that can do just that for you.

(http://www.dvdplusvideo.com/petesguide5.html)

Give it a try and keep it in your favorites for future reference.