1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dela or anyone else with brains

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by 89stang, Mar 3, 2003.

1. 89stang

89stang Guest

I use dvd2svcd, encode with TMPGEnc, burn with Nero 5 at 4x and even 2x as I have an older burner. I am backing up my own dvd's. I notice that when playing in my Cyberhome dvd player that the picture looks a bit "grainy" especially on darker backgrounds. It's like the pixels are augmented or something. The quality is pretty good but when you are reasonably close to the tv, you can really see this grainy effect. Does everyone see this? Am I being to picky?

Thanks,
    89Stang

2. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

I know exactly what you mean, your problem is TMPGEnc, its not as good as an encoder as CCE SP for mpeg-2. I create vbr svcd with DVD2SVCD and CCE SP all the time and the quality is amazing!

3. 89stang

89stang Guest

Isn't CCE SP like $200.00. Although I guess you get what you pay for. Thanks for responding I was begininng to think that I was crazy or anal retentive. ;0)

89stang

4. Dela

lol np!

5. dbecker

dbecker Regular member

actually CCE is $2k.. but to help your picture, in the advanced settings of tmpgenc, select 'highest quality' for motion precision. This helps a lot. Also, the higher the biterate the better quality..

6. 89stang

89stang Guest

Hey thanks alot guys! Incidentally, what do you suggest for number of passes and the "rate control mode" settings on TMPGEnc?

Thanks in advance
    89stang

7. Dela

Well if the file is going to be a vcd then it has to be constant birate (1150kb/s) so the pass question doesnt matter. However for SVCD, 2 pass VBR will have the best results guaranteed! (for TMPGEnc that is, 6 pass CCE SP is the best IMO)

8. 89stang

89stang Guest

Thanks Dela! :)

9. Dela

No Problem =)