1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deleting Windows Services

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Praetor, Jun 6, 2004.

1. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Anyone have any idea how to permanently delete windows services (i.e, Messenger) -- not just disable them? :)

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

There you go again! Always trying to kill something else in windows :p

Have you tried yet? Do the files magically reappear like when you try to delete WMP?

3. Praetor

I havnt the foggiest how to delete them ... i am pretty sure it can be done I just need a pointer :p

For the record I'm trying to get rid of the Messenger popups believe it or not hehe! I did exactly as I posted in http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/55290 and the messenger thingy wasnt one of the processes running and it sure as hell didnt track on my firewall (and my firewall does track it when it fires up). Ive only been getting these spam msgs after I brought that computer into the DMZ ... so I suspect that one of them blasted SVCHOST processes is the one feeding me this spam. Any ideas? :)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]ASUS A7N8X-X, XP2500+ OC'd to XP3200+
    Samsung 1024MB, PC2700 OC'd to PC3200
    480GB [3x160GB, 7200, 8MB]
    EVGA, GeForce4 Ti4600 128MB

Rules and Policies: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2004
  4. Xian

Xian Regular member

Praetor,
    There isn't a way to remove the Messenger service, only disable it. It uses services.exe as it's executable. Many other services use services.exe too, DHCP client for example. You can disable it by going to Control Panel/Adminstrative Tools/Services.

You won't see the messenger service as a process in your task manager, but you will see services.exe.

Since you moved it to your DMZ, that probably indicates that the NETBIOS ports 135, 137,138, or 139 is open there since the Messenger service uses NETBIOS broadcasts. It was probably blocked by your firewall before moving it there.

5. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

All that Message spam is brought in by the Inbound Net Bios-- hence a sure way and a definite one at that to stop that spam is to : If you use a single computer that is connected to the Internet directly (by using a cable modem, a DSL modem, or a dial-up modem, for example), install a firewall and block inbound NetBIOS and UDPbroadcast traffic on your computer.

6. Praetor

Thx ill give it some fiddling :)

7. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Topics like this really makes me wish I wrote that operating system with my first year university friends.

Stupid question, can you edit the name or the path of the specific executable used? After a redirection then deletle the whole thing. I used to do that back in DOS days with Win 3.1

8. Praetor

First year? The normal CS-CS and Math-CS kids do that in CS350 in 3rd year, us Softies and maybe the SysDe's do that in 2nd year -- not in 1st year because in 1st you are required to take either 13(1-3) & 134 and depending on the program you might have the option of taking CS245 (and a couple others) in 1st year

9. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

I was on a floor with geeks and we were all really pissed off with Windows 95. Yes it was 1997 when I was in first year. We were going to base is on something similar to what really became linux, as back then RedHat was still in low number. I think we came up with the idea during a 48hr straight Stars wars roleplaying marathon. None of us studied in first year, but from scratch it looked like it wouldn`t have been too hard to do. But then the bunch that were in 4th stream went off and we never got back to it. Also KDE for Red Hat is what I wanted. I just wish it was more commonly used.

Preator, you forget I am a Biochemist. Go to C2-172 (chem lounge) and look for my signiture on the UP and Atom board. I think I was mister drunk.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    I am not a number
    I am a Free Man[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2004
  10. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

It used to be that all us geeks had to be almost completely self taught and many could do things like write an OS at a pretty early age. I had a friend who taught himself assembler on a TRS-80 Model 2 while he was still in 7th grade, dropped out to go to college a year before he would have finished high school, and went on to head this project during the last year of his undergraduate degree: http://mathforum.org/epigone/sci.math.research/gringinfro
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life
    Backup A DVD With DVD Rebuilder & CCE Basic: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial.cfm[/small]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2004
  11. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Always disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP on the public connection. Of course on your local LAN you need it for name resolution, but almost always I find that the internet connection will be set 'Use NetBIOS setting from the DHCP server' (bad). I believe this holds port 135 open.
    Go to Properties of your connection NIC/device>highlight TCP/IP>Properties>Advanced>WINS>Disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP
    Steve Gibson at http://www.grc.com has some great little utilities to disable Messenger, DCOM, UPnP etc. and some security services (tests & such).
    I know, it's easy enough to groom manually but I find them very useful, time is money. Check out his DCOMbobulator, it 'alarms' on 99 out of 100 PCs I run it on!
    L8R

12. WonderBra

WonderBra Guest

I just read your post today while searching for an answer to the same question. I called my dedicated server hosting company and found the following:

sc.exe helps manage services, to delete a service:
    sc delete <servicename>
    to delete a service named mysql for ex.
    sc delete mysql

done :)

good day

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2004
  13. Praetor

14. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

That's great. I'm going to write this down (so I can lose it instead of forgetting it) and then I'll tell somebody so I can ask them later. 8D

But seriously thanks for the info WonderBra. I'm sure I'll get some use from it.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life
    Backup A DVD With DVD Rebuilder & CCE Basic: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial.cfm[/small]

Last edited: Jun 22, 2004
  15. WonderBra

WonderBra Guest

hehe, no problem guys, i'm sure i was just excited when i found out about it as you are now. :)