1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deliberate Bad Sectors

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by staytrue, Sep 1, 2007.

1. staytrue

staytrue Member

I'm New...
    Yeah, so here's my problem.. like everyone else who isn't great at ripping, or hasn't figured it out yet, i'm having trouble with the "this dvd was mastered with deliberate bad sectors"
    the movies that have that warning from mac the ripper are blades of glory, and the prestige.

i can rip blades of glory, and the prestige just fine... all i do is rip with mac the ripper version 2.6.6 full disk extraction, and it works... Some dvds just have "bad Sectors" and once you play them back, you can usually burn without problems.

My NEW PROBLEM- with DELIBERATE bad sectors, everytime i try to play it on a real dvd player.. i get a black screen if i just press PLAY. Even though the rip is complete, and i have the full movie, the only way i can get it to play correctly is to go to SCENE SELECTION, and choose like chapter 4, and then scan BACKWARDS to the begginning, and just let it play...

I know about the 0.00 Cells... But i'm not familiar with DVD2oneX.. I have 1.3.1 version...

Do i have to rip in Arccos Mode, Full Or Main Feature only>? and how do i use dvd2onex to Join, or copy full movie??

All i want is to burn the movie... put in the dvd player, press play, and let it play like the dvd i own>>>???

Any help would be appreciated!! sorry for the long post, but i'm fairly new at this whole thing.
    thanks again.

2. terryxpre

terryxpre Member

Honestly, you have to expect problems if the world of DVDs grows more sophisticated (if you know what I mean), and you are using out-of-date software. MTR has been updated to MTR3 bulid 14 and can be downloaded at :

http://www.divshare.com/download/572318-473

DVD2OneX is now 2.1.3 and you're using 1.3.1.

Do two things:

1 Get both pieces of software updated

2. With MTR , always do a Full Disc rip - use it as a ripper, not as an extractor.
    Don't touch any of the Arcoss etc settings. MTR selects these automatically. The only thing you have to watch for is:
    As a one-off, go into Apple Menu: System Preferences, go to Hardware/CDs & DVDs. Make sure that the second listing, “When you insert a blank DVD” says Ignore. This saves having DVDPlayer open, and worse, start competing with MTR to read the disc.

Create a new folder on your desktop e.g. NewMovie
    1. Put the DVD to be ripped into your disk tray and close.
    2. Click/Open MTR
    3. MTR will whirl and do some preliminary reading and info will appear in different parts.
    4. The section you need to bother about is the bottom of the “TV screen” – the greenish window section.
    a. (i) on the left, Disc RPC will tell you what Region(s) the disc is authorized for
    b. (ii) on the right, Disc RCE section is VITAL : if/whenever it says “Clear” you can go straight to GO and MTR will prompt you where to save it (the folder you created above)
    (iii)If Disc RCE section says “Detected” then go down to bottom right to RCE region, and choose the exact same Region from the roll-down menu as indicated in Disc RPC. Then hit Go.

If you've updated, have a go then with DVD2One 2.1.3 if you like though I think those bad sectors will still give you trouble...but I can't proceed until you update the software, and DVD2One now is not free. Update it, and then come back and again say what is happening when you try to extract with the updated software.

3. staytrue

staytrue Member

I updated to MTR3.0, i tried to rip blades of glory full disk rip.... i'm familiar with how mac the ripper works..

When i put the dvd in, MTR3.0 automatically gave me a warning saying "this disc has Arccos Protection"

When it finished, i tried to play it.. and it didn't work.. just black screens when the main feature starts. I KNOW it has to do with the VOBs having 0.00 cells that hault the play.

I was told version 1.3.1 dvd2onex is the version you need to delete the cells... and i've tried to delete them, but i'm really confused on that side, and getting the full movie after i've gotten rid of the 0.00 cells from dvd2onex.

I don't have any problems ripping dvd's that are clear, or have a file structure that can't be read... i know how to use MTR so you don't have to explain how to use that part, and reigons are easy to get past...

With Deliberate Bad Sectors, it gives you 0.00 cells... does anyone know exactly how to fix that, so the dvd can play perfectly in any dvd player

4. kelbelle2

kelbelle2 Guest

I am having the EXACT same problem! I've been trying to rip Blades of Glory for days now to no avail. I'll let you know if I EVER figure something out! Good Luck!

5. staytrue

staytrue Member

GREAT! GOOD LUCK! i really hope someone can explain exactly how to fix this, step by step

6. staytrue

staytrue Member

I figured it out

1. You have to get MTR 30 R-14d
    2. It will say dvd has Arccos Protection, but RIP the MAIN FEAT. Only
    3. The new thing with MTR 3.0 lets you get around this problem by choosing the files you want to rip, so while you've clicked on main feat extraction only, it will open up a title list.
    4. CHECKMARK only TITLE 1- approx 1hr 33min long
    5. Press Go (start Extraction) and it will work perfect. no lack screens

7. staytrue

staytrue Member

sorry, the above post was supposed to say NO BLACK SCREENS.. and that is only for the movie BLADES OF GLORY.

After MTR burns the the dvd, it fixes the vob's and re finishes it.. so it works..

i'm going to try it with the prestige, but theres still more to learn about it. here's a link to help you out

http://www.ripdifferent.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=133

8. kelbelle2

kelbelle2 Guest

Yeaaaa! Good for you! When I eventually get my MTR3 to work I'll give this a whirl!

9. kelbelle2

kelbelle2 Guest

grrr...that didn't work for me. When I try the Main Feature Extraction - it shows all the titles at 01K. I hit Go anyway - I got 2 errors saying that it failed to generate something and the next was that the Mirror of DVD Main Feature Failed.

Will I ever get this to work?? lolol

10. staytrue

staytrue Member

if you are using mtr3.0 and you scan blades of glory when you check to rip main feature... pick the file with the largest size. there are probably like 23 titles or somethin, but just pick the one that is the biggest. if every file is at 1k, then that's a problem with somethin else.. maybe you can take off pre scan, or change some setting.. i'm not sure.... just keep reading posts.. but if you have any other questions, write them in detail, and i'll try to explain in detail. it worked perfect for me with the prestige also..

11. kelbelle2

kelbelle2 Guest

Ok. For some reason it's just not working for me. Maybe it's a setting in MTR3, I'm not sure. I have ripped another movie (with full disk extraction) so I know that the program actually works. For Blades of Glory - I go to the Main Feature Extraction mode and it shows 36 titles...Title 1 being the main feature - which is already checked. BUT all of the titles show no time, and are all 01k. When I highlight one it shows 0GB in the main window of MTR too. I have no idea why this is happening. I did rip the movie with Full Extraction (of course it didn't work) but it did rip the total of 6.97.

I disabled the File Size Calc Method, the Overwrite Warning and the UOP's Warning. Am I missing something???