1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dell Inspiron 17R won't boot up. Please help!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by wheelstb, Mar 31, 2014.

1. wheelstb

wheelstb Regular member

A couple of weeks ago I was using my Inspiron 17R laptop and everything was working fine. Now when I attempt to boot up the laptop the three LED indicators above the number pad light up. In sequence and the computer stops booting. In terms of the LED indicators there are two gears, a wrench and a monitor with a line going across it diagonally. I don't hear any boot tones nor do I see anything indicated on the screen.

I believe the machine is going through the POST Test before shutting down. Because the LED indicators (I don't know what you call them) are lighting up in sequence.

I don't have the actual specs on the computer handy. Here's what I know.
    500 GB 540 RPM hard drive
    6 GB of RAM
    one optical drive
    second-generation Intel core I5 Processor

I know I have not been able to provide terribly specific information, but I would appreciate any advice anyone might have.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

is it still under warranty?

3. wheelstb

wheelstb Regular member

No it is not. I used to the Dell financing option, which I thought gave me a three year warranty. They are now telling me it was only a one year warranty. I'm not sure if there's much I can do, but I need to try because I don't have the cash for a new laptop. And at times I do rely hopefully upon my laptop.

4. ddp

try attaching an external monitor to the laptop to see if anything is on the screen. might have to press "fn" "f4" buttons to do that but not certain. had to do that with a customer's laptop with broken screen to access windows.

5. wheelstb

wheelstb Regular member

Okay, thanks for the advice. I will give it a shot and report back. Thanks again, I appreciate the help.

6. wheelstb

wheelstb Regular member

While I was trying to find a monitor to hook it up to, I pressed the power button, and the laptop just booted up. This was about a week ago. I have used the laptop a handful of times, everything is working okay. I am completely surprised it is working. I am not sure but, I think I spilled Gatorade on it. I figured I was pretty much out of luck. Thanks for the advice. I appreciate all of the pointers.

7. ddp

no problem, teach & learn.

8. wheelstb

wheelstb Regular member

I guess I was just really lucky. I thought because it was Gatorade and it would leave a residue that I would be completely screwed. I don't know if that caused the problem in the first place.

You're right, "teach and learn" is what makes this place great. I would hang out here more often if I had more money. Every time I start following the goings-on here, it makes me want to buy something. It's usually a computer or technological upgrade that I don't need.

9. ddp

i don't have that problem as last piece i bought was a new corded logitech mouse a couple of months back. still running an intel 3.2ghz dual core for the past 2-3yrs.

10. wheelstb

wheelstb Regular member

good for you ! stay strong