1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dell laptop battery not charging

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by squizzle, Jan 4, 2005.

1. squizzle

squizzle Active member

Hello. I just purchased a new battery for my Dell Inspiron 600m laptop. It came to me with a 20% charge and it won't charge up any more. It does work, I can unplug the charger and use the battery's power, but no matter what I try it just won't charge. Dell isn't giving me any help either. The charger is putting out the correct voltage. Also at work we have a Dell Inspiron 7000 with the same issue. Are Dell laptop batteries just sh*t? I heard something about counterfeit batteries. Any way to tell if this is one?

2. squizzle

squizzle Active member

3. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

squizzle

My wifes laptop is a Dell 5100 with a 96WHr Lithium Ion 12 cell battery. We've had it for over a year now and it works great allowing us to use it for nearly 3 hours depending on programs, etc. Two our our friends also have Dell's with no problems. Have we tried to fully drain the battery, then fully charging it like the old days with the nickle-cad batteries? Lithium's are not supposed to develope memory so maybe it is a counterfit. Also some of the markings on our Dell battery are: The Dell logo/tm, "Dell Battery Module, Model NO. BATDWOOL, TYPE:6T473, OUTPUT: 14.8V 6450MaH" Does yours have similar markings?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2005
  4. squizzle

squizzle Active member

Yeah, all the markings are the same, except on the "new" battery it says that I must use the newest BIOS version for proper performance of this battery, which I am. My old one is a Type 3R305 and my new one is a Type C1295. The new one is supposed to be a little better and everything I read says that it should work in my laptop. I'm thinking that maybe you're right that it's a counterfeit.