1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dell latitude password

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by sirenia, Oct 31, 2004.

1. sirenia

sirenia Guest

I am trying to get a dell latitude xpi cd laptop working, my bosses husband brought it to me to see if i could fix it, he is a teacher and one of his students did something to it so now it has to have a password. when you boot up it says system halted must power down service tag number 8t33b can anyone help.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

is password preventing from going in normal mode, how about safe mode??

Last edited: Oct 31, 2004
  3. sirenia

sirenia Guest

i can do nothing, the computer boots up and then says enter password, i have tried several backdoor passwords to no avail. it just says unsuccessful password attempts system halted! must power down service tag 8t33b i even tried to boot up with a system cd and it will not let me.

4. ddp

sounds like a cmos password not a windows password. what is model# of dell laptop, going to check dell support if you haven't

5. sirenia

sirenia Guest

It is a Dell Latitude XPi CD it has windows 95 (old laptop) on the botttom the model no says PPS
    P/N 82824 Dell Latitude LXPi CD M133ST it also has a white sticker that has a barcode that reads 8T33B and then in larger text 7217 I appreciate any help you can give me... Thanks Sirenia

6. ddp

7. sirenia

sirenia Guest

i tried this and it didnt work, i think it may be a hardrive password, i have looked up through various search engines and havent had any luck, i tried to call dell but was on hold for over 30 minutes, i guess i can try this again tommorro, its driving my crazy though... Thanks for trying to help me.

8. ddp

welcome

9. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey!

What does the screen look like when promted for password? Is it an operating system or the Bios?

10. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey!

I guess it's not an operating system if its Win 95.
    It has the worst security.Please describe the screen to me.

Thanks

11. sirenia

sirenia Guest

it is the bios it says Phoenix Rom Bios Plus Version 1.10 A05
    MagicGraph 128 ZV 48K SVGA Bios
    Dell Latitude XPI CD M133ST
    then it says type the password and press enter to leave password security enabled or press ctrl enter to disable password security. Then if i attempt to enter a password it says Password is incorrect system halted must power down Service Tag Number 8T33B
    It is a very old laptop issued to a teacher at a school he let one of his students use it and now this is what it does.. or so he says. I think it is a hard drive password and he has forgotten it and doesnt want anyone to know he forgot it. lol...
    But my Boss has told him that i will get it working for him,,, lucky me.. Please help if you can, it never hurts to score points with the boss.
    Thanks

12. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey!

I'm certainly going to try to help you but this could take some time!!
    Firstly, if it is a Bios password it can be cleared by using the CMOS CLEAR jumper or removing the CMOS battery.This would require you to open the LT so we'll try some passwords first.

You said you tried passwords before-- try these now...
    phoenix,PHOENIX,BIOS,bios,CMOS,cmos,DELL,dell, ALFAROME,BIOSTAR,biostar,biosstar,LKWPETER,
    lkwpeter,Syxz,Wodj
    setup,SETUP

Try each one and you may get lucky. There are more!
    IF we exhaust them all unsucessfully, you'll have to do surgery on the Dell.

Keep in touch.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2004
  13. sirenia

sirenia Guest

I believe it is surgery time....
    I am ready if you are. Thanks
    Sirenia

14. ddp

it is not the harddrive password, it is the bios password. the laptop if i am correct is a pentium 133mhz or a p1-133. to clear the bios we have to clear either by a jumper on the circuit board inside the case or by removing the battery that supplies the cmos chip that holds the time, date, password & other info with power. to get inside you have to open the laptop to get at the topside of the circuit board which has either the jumper or the battery. you have to remember there are 2 batteries in the laptop, one to power the laptop itself & the 2nd to power the cmos chip that is holding the password

15. sirenia

sirenia Guest

ok but i see no screws or anything to open the laptop. is there a trick to opening it? Thanks

16. ddp

2 ways of doing it , 1 is screws are on the bottom 2 is to remove keyboard from top

17. sirenia

sirenia Guest

which do you suggest? but i do not see any screws on the bottom.
    Thanks

18. ddp

does there appear to be plastic plugs(filling in holes) scattered around the bottom of case, more to the outside edge than inside

19. sirenia

sirenia Guest

no, there is a sliding door on the bottom about the size of a playing card. there are some hard plastic things around the edges but they do not come out.

20. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey!

Ok lets go...........

DDP there are no screws on this LT you have to go through the keyboard.

Sirenia here is a link that will help you.

http://www.electroblog.com:8090/laptop/

Post if you have problems.

I can see your boss patting you on the back right now!!