1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dell latitude password

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by sirenia, Oct 31, 2004.

1. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey!

I would not bother with jumpers. When you find the circular CMOS battery, remove it for at least 15 min to be on the safe side.
    Be sure to disconnect the main power battery or this will not work.
    Replace the battery and power battery and boot.

Good Luck!!

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

the battery might not be disk shape but clyinder shape like 2 AAA batteries in line. if cylinder shape gently disconnect power wires from motherboard connector(usually white) & wait 15 or so minutes like ianski7 said. the other possibilty is battery is soldered to circuit board

Last edited: Nov 1, 2004
  3. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey Sirenia!

It's been a long time since I took one of these apart so I can't remember very clearly. You may have to remove some other plates and pieces to get to the battery. Keep the screws seperate and replace them from where they came.
    i can't find the schematics of the motherboard so you'll have to poke around.

4. sirenia

sirenia Guest

that is not the same laptop i could do everything it said until it said unscrew the screw labeled k on the bottom of the laptop there is no screw at all on the bottom of the laptop and there is no blank key on the keyboard. any suggestions??

5. ddp

of course it is not same laptop, there is 2 generations between a p1 computer & a p3 computer as in the link so design has changed. does the keyboard move side to side slightly?

6. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey!

Sorry, your LT is seriouly old and that is the best I can do.You'll have to earn the pat on the back!
    Look very closely at the part you want to remove and locate where it is or could be fixed by screws.

7. CJC

CJC Regular member

Hey

Just been doing a bit of research

CJC

8. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey!

I too came across the EEPROM thing but the LT that I worked on abot 3 years ago had a battery-- I was hoping it would be the same. The EEPROM thing could possibly fry the chip. I also came accross a company that replaces them for about 100us.

We'll see how it turns out.

9. ddp

ianski7, what do you think they use on regular motherboards. besides instead of using a paperclip a jumper is put on the motherboard & we just have to move it when we want to clear the cmos chip

Last edited: Nov 1, 2004
  10. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey!

Then how do you explain the diclaimer!

Don't get me wrong, I have jumped machines to start,clear CMOS,IDE configuration problems....
    I just prefer the ways the engineers gave us.

Your not going to compare a shielded jumper to a paperclip held by a human generating an electrical field are you!

11. ddp

the jumper is not shielded, it is just a piece of shaped copper wrapped by molded plastic that makes it easier to handle thats all. the disclaimer is just in case you touch wrong pins by mistake & fry the chip & go after them. i worked for almost 4 1/2 years at celestica doing board work on sun microsystems, cisco systems, nokia phones & others so yes i know what i am talking about

12. ianski7

ianski7 Guest

Hey!

The plastic is to shield it from YOU! When you worked on boards were you grounded? I bet you were! I am not going to give you my resume but I will give you this:
    The purpose of this forum is to HELP people so let's get off our soap boxes and do just that!

13. ddp

ianski7, the plastic is there to make it easier for a person to extract that jumper whether by fingers, pliers, tweezers, dental tools or whatever. i am not on a soap box i am sitting in my chair stating a fact & whatever works for an individual might work for others. teach & learn that is why we are here for

14. CJC

CJC Regular member

You are suppose to be helping not saying i know more then you.

You are both right. It does shield the copper and it does make it eaiser to put it on and remove the jumper when making the temporary circuit.

CJC

15. ddp

we are all right & no wrong

16. baabaa

baabaa Active member