1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dell powersupply

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by navskin, Jan 18, 2007.

1. navskin

navskin Regular member

hi i have bought a computer off a friend he said that the power unit has gone can i just change it for any or dose it have to be for that model.

thanks

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

take old psu with you to local computer store to get 1 of same size but higher wattage

3. qwerty977

qwerty977 Guest

I recently got a old dell and got a new power supply. I looked it up online and it seems that even though it will fit in physically the wires are different and it MIGHT fry your mother board. One site said that some pentiem 4 and some other models will work with any after market power supply. My dell 3400 is working fine on a after market power supply. I saw that there are some conversion wires to make any power supply compatiable with dell wiring if the wires are switched.

I don't even know if this is true I only got the power supply because on a site they said the 3400 did not have switched wires.

You might want to look this up online before you get the power supply.

If your not looking for power for a graphics card (I got a 500watt for my 7800gs card) you can get a power supply straight from dell for your model that will work.

4. paiger651

paiger651 Regular member

What model Dell is it?

5. navskin

navskin Regular member

its a dell gx520. its got

pentuin 4 ht
    512 meg of ram
    nvidia graphics card pci
    and a dual layer dvd writer

its not bad but my other pc it a lot faster i wish i could take the power sullpy out but its a laptop if you know what i mean.
    i rang dell to see how moutch a new power sullpy would be they said it would £150 for it, now thats a joke. so do you recmend anywhere i can get dell parts they dont have any on ebay.

thanks

6. paiger651

paiger651 Regular member

7. gtjr_ph

gtjr_ph Regular member