1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Demonoid shuts out the Dutch.

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by St4rLight, Jul 18, 2007.

1. St4rLight

St4rLight Member

You may have noticed how it was down a while back.
    Sure they gave a reason but it was hardly the truth.

And now I am unable to connect (nor can 2 of my dutch mates) yet my US friends can.
    It seems the staff are blocking Dutch ips now, maybe BREIN set them up to it. This sucks. Can anyone help a bro in need, give some advice please.

2. St4rLight

St4rLight Member

Funny stuff, I can't connect normally, when using a proxy however I get it but can't log on.

3. Headborg

Headborg Regular member

yeah, just be sure to use a proxy(outside of Netherlands...maybe outside EU)

4. tyrantdj

tyrantdj Regular member

Mine works fine,

I'm in the UK

5. minimind

minimind Member

It seems like Demonoid themself are blocking users from Holland and Canada.

- All the users experiencing this problem seem to come from either Holland or Canada, other users have no problems accessing the site
    - A trace route to Demonoid shows no problems and ends at Demonoids webserver
    - The favicon icon loads without a problem
    - The error pages load without a problem (try www.demonoid.com/error, to get an error page that clearly originates from Demonoids webserver)
    - The tracker works fine, even from Holland and Canada

This suggests that there is no routing problem!

- The affected pages (the ones that show up blank) seem to be only the dynamic (.php) pages (the error pages are probably plain .html pages which makes sense)
    - It is easy to include some code (read filter) in a .php header- or include file to check the IP of the visitor, and decide to either show the requested page or throw an empty page at the visitor.
    - They claim that the degradation of their speed (they even mention buying faster hardware) is due to a huge increase of visitors to the site, which I think is strange, since you have to be a member to access the site, and registrations are closed...
    - Checking the IP addresses of the visitors in their .php pages would slow the site down considerably, since the IP has to be matched against several IP ranges each and every time, and would thus explain this degradation in speed of their site.

- If an ISP would have blocked the IP ranges then the favicon, error pages, and the static error pages would not show up, and a trace route would dead-end

There have been several (really active) topics on the Demonoid forums about this, but the site admins never participate or even acknowledge the problem until one user mentioned that it might be Demonoid themselves that blocks these visitors. Their reaction to this was to immediately lock the thread...

6. St4rLight

St4rLight Member

LOL I saw that, they by know we are on to them and what they are doing.
    It's fine now, I hardy care I'm on as usual.