1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Demux subtitle stream

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by justinyee, Oct 12, 2004.

1. justinyee

justinyee Member

This may be a good topic here. I have an AVI movie file that has French subtitles, yet there is no additional subtitle file to it. Playable in Windows Media Player 10, when i choose the option to turn off subtitles, it will not turn it off (as i suspected). The subtitles look as though they are seperate from the video.

What i'm trying to do is extract the French subtitles from the video, and translate them into English. I think the process for this would be to "demux" the video into it's three parts (video, audio, subtitle), edit the subtitle file, then "mux" the file back together.

I've tried using the following programs to extract or edit, however, to failure:
    VobSub
    VirtualDub
    VirtualDubMod
    bbTools
    dvTools
    Subtitle Workshop
    Hex Workshop

with VirualDubMod, i can see the report for the streams available in the file:

---== Video stream ==---
    Source : [Input AVI file]
    Description : AVI video stream
    Length : 01:05:30.722

---== Other stream ==---
    Source : [Input AVI file]
    Description : AVI audio stream 1 [tag 0x0055, MPEG-1 Layer 3 (MP3)]
    Length : 01:05:30.720

note, there's no subtitle stream listed. Does this mean i'm at a total loss? Can anyone help?

2. player200

player200 Member

Yes, I think you are indeed out of luck. Subtitle streams can be demuxed from DVD VOB files.

However, in your case with AVI the subs have probably been burned permenantly onto the video so now part of video stream...that's why other software apps can't see the stream and why you can't turn if off.

Also, language translation of subtitles is a little tricky since subtitles in DVD movies are actually saved as subpictures. Subrip program for example can rip the individual subpictures to bmp or you can also create subrip file but the prograsm must run everything through OCR and have to do quite a bit of trial and error for the program to learn and remember the characters.

Then, still have to translate the text in the subrip file and then remux.

3. justinyee

justinyee Member

rad. thanks!

4. nrosrgn

nrosrgn Guest

I have a similar problem except the subtitles are selectable in my .avi file, but the stream doesn't show up in virtualdubmod. this is all i get:

Source: Input AVI File
    Desc : AVI audio stream 1 [tag 0x0055, MPEG-1 Layer 3 (MP3)]
    Length: 00:20:41.817

Anybody have this problem as well and know how to get the subtitles out?