1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 2805 Set Up Debacle

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by acgoeller, Feb 14, 2005.

1. acgoeller

acgoeller Member

I have made it through the hook up process (about a week ago) and I am now completely lost. I have read the manual front to back and can't figure the problem out. I can hear sound out of all the channels when I perform the speaker test and set up, however, I have no sound when I attempt to play a CD or DVD. I have the Denon 1910 DVD player and my HD Cable box correctly connected to the 2805 via digital coaxial connections. Is there some set up feature I'm missing either throught the receiver or DVD player. Also, what is the abbreviation I should be using in the receiver set up for the HD cable box connection to the coaxial input?

2. WesleyHes

WesleyHes Member

There may additional settings on you DVD player and/or Cable Box.

I may be able to help on the receiver side though.

Denon, like many receivers, allows you to reassign the digital inputs to any component input you want.

According to your user manual on page 19, the defaults for the COAX inputs are:

CD - COAX1
    DVD - COAX2

What I've done with my Denon AVR-3803 is to try and use the default inputs first, i.e. plugged a DVD player into COAX2, etc. That way, I don't have to change any of the default settings.

So your DVD player's coax cable should be connected to COAX2.

Now I don't have a CD player but I do have a second DVD player. For my setup, I wanted to change the COAX1 default from CD to VDP.

I did this by reassigning the digital input. Check out page 37 of your manual entitled: Setting the Digital In Assignments.

In your case, you should try connecting your cable box to DBS and assigning CD to OFF (if your aren't going to use it) and then set DBS from OPT2 to COAX1. DBS I believe stands for Digital Broadcast Satellite but I could be wrong. In my setup, I have my satellite receiver connected to the DBS input. In my case, my satellite receiver doesn't have coax cable so I simply connected its optical cable to OPT2 on my Denon that way I didn't have to change the default like a mentioned above. LESSON TO LEARN: it doesn't matter what "abbreviation" you use as long as you assign it to the corrent digital input you are using. For example: you could hook your cable box to the VCR1 input as long as you change VCR1 to COAX1.

Unfortunately, Denon receivers (at least the ones I know about) don't allow for the inputs to be renamed like Onkyo and others.

I'm sure if you are getting a picture from your cable box and/or DVD player you already know about using the Component assign feature and/or used the defaults.

This may not solve your problem but it should get you started in the right direction.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2005
  3. ghost640

ghost640 Member

Hey Andy, did this work out for you? I agree that the manual is pretty unclear, but I was able to experiment my way through most things. I think you need to explore the "Digital In Assign" menu in the on-screen setup routine - like Wesley says, this is where you can map out your inputs.

And yes, I'd love to be able to rename these...

4. acgoeller

acgoeller Member

Thank you for all the help. I was indeed able to set my DVD set to COAX2 and finally get surround sound. I did have to tinker around though with the "mode" on the front of the receiver. Even though everthing was set to "digital", the receiver was still looking for an "analog" signial.

I am still unable to figure out how set my HD cable box to the receiver though. I set the cable box to COAX1, but still no luck. Any pearls of wisodom would be greatly apprecieated.