1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 2805 setup questions

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by ghost640, Dec 23, 2004.

1. ghost640

ghost640 Member

Hi all - I've just unpacked and mostly set up the Denon 2805 AV receiver - a very cool machine! But here's some comments on getting a BSTOCK version and a few questions for you knowlegable types. (you out there Raz?).

First, no power cord was included! I thought it was an oversight (and maybe it is), but there is no AC cord listed in the materials list. Very odd, a standard computer cord fits.

Second, it came with the instruction a manual for a 2105! I was sort of able to follow the manual to get things set up, but this was really pretty goofy, this would be complicated enough with the right manual.

OK so here's a couple questions: I hooked up the 5.1 outputs from my DVD player to the EXT IN settings. Is this the best way to connect it? The DVD player also has PCM and a digital output (Toshiba 4150) - which setup gives better audio?

2nd, I set up the CD input today, but it's only playing through the front sets of speakers. How do I get it to send the audio through the subwoofer and surround speakers?

I'll play around with this some more, and see if I can get them to send me a manual - you'd think Denon would at least have PDFs on their web site.

Finally, a real newbie question - what's with -db values as a sound level - are these deviations from a reference point? What is 0db, which seems like it should be silence...

Thanks and Cheers!
    Ghost

Last edited: Dec 23, 2004
  2. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Hello Ghost! I'll leave some of your questions for the more savvy but you can download the operator's manual from Denon's web site...I suggest you set your printer to black and white in draft mode because it's pretty lengthy. I have a Toshiba SD 5700. I did connect both the 2 channel at the Audio Input connections and the multichannel outputs in the "External Input Jacks". To be frank, the Denon has much better decoders than those in the Toshiba. Your remote will have an "Ext. In" button on the bottom to use the Toshiba's decoder but I'm sure you'll find that you don't use it. The Denon's is way better. I'm not sure what to tell you about the CD player: did you push the "surround" button or try the different DSP settings after you pushed surround? Well, I'd wait to down load the manual which will certainly shed light on things; I can't imagine trying to set up without it. I hope it all works out well for you. I just set up my 3805 and it does take some patience and head scratching! Merry Christmas to you and yours! ... Gerry

3. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

You can get your manual at <http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/pdfs/AVR2805%20DFU.pdf> (before that letter D is a zero, not an "O". Gerry

4. Razz1234

Razz1234 Guest

Ghost

Nice buy the Denon 2805, GREAT piece for the dollar!!!!

Now lets get you hooked up the right way....

First... you need to unplug your DVD from the "[bold]EXT IN[/bold].... that is for an "External Decoder" such as DVD Audio or SACD. and that is why you are only getting 2 channels of sound. Some DVD players do decode Dolby Digital and allow you to send it out to each channel, but there are 2 reasons you don't want to do that.

1. The Denon probably has better DACS than your DVD player, and will sound better.
    2. It's damn expensive to run that many "good" cables.

You want to hook up the digital output from your DVD player to one of the Digital inputs on the DENON. This will bring a straight digital feed from the DVD player into the 2805 and the 5.1 Dolby Digital will be decoded by the Denon.

Next. If you always want the best quality sound, don't even bother hooking up any "analog" rca jacks {right and left, usually red and white} Unless you have a VERY high end source. Try to run everything through [bold]"Digital Inputs"[/bold] That way the Denon does all the digital to analog converting. It makes a huge difference! The DAC's on the Denon are very high quality and sound great, so use em!

For example, I run everything i can into "digital inputs"
    Dish network PVR
    DVD player
    Multi-Disk CD player

If you want to have some fun one day, hook up an analog input from one of your sources like the Satalite or cable and go to one of the music channels. Now, since you have it hook up with both analog and digital, switch between the two and listen to the difference. You [bold]WILL[/bold] notice a big one!!!

Now if you have connected your CD player into CD in and are still only getting 2 channels of sound, go to your remote and make sure it says "amp" in active window and look for the "5/7 channel stereo" button. That should do it.

You really need to go to the link provided and get the manual... It's a complex piece you have there and the only way to take full advantage of it is to read the manual cover to cover....

Have Fun!!!!!!!!!!!!
    and Merry Christmas!!!!!1

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2004
  5. ghost640

ghost640 Member

Gerry, thanks for the link to the manual on Christmas Day - you must be a true audiophile! I did finally get all the speakers working with my audio CD input, but found that the system has to be turned up pretty loud to get the subwoofer to kick in. Looks like I need to spend some time playing around with the calibration. I'm assuming that there's some way to independently adjust volume levels on individual speakers.

Unfortunately, I got my system set up, played around a bit, was blown away by a few DVDs, and then left town for a week! Relatives are great and all, but I'm looking forward to getting back to the home front (and the HT)

Razz, many thanks! I'm pretty sure I have a digital out on the CD player (never had a reason to look before...), and maybe one on my UltimateTV (the Beta of the Tivo world). Is there the same difference among digital cables as among analog? Seems like if they're just pushing 1's and 0's, it wouldn't have the signal quality issues of analogs.

Cheers, and Merry Christmas to you guys as well!
    Ghost

6. Razz1234

Razz1234 Guest

Ghost,
    yeah, check them manual, there is a way to adjust each speaker level independantly.

Your right about the 1's and 0's. And you can spend stupid money on analog speaker cable. My father-in-law has an 8 foot pair that cost him over $800. And people swear by certain analog cables and wires. BUT,
    You can waste lots of money with digital cables. All you really need is a decent cable with secured ends. I have seen some go for over $100 for 3 feet and that is just stupid when it comes to digital. I even have seen cable makers boasting about the improved sound quality, improved "bass" and "high-end openness" you will get with their digital interconects. That is SUCH BS!!!!!!!!!! it's transfering 1's and 0's!!!!! How can a digital cable and the transfering of 1's and 0's improve bass???????
    IT CAN'T....

sorry for rambling on, but that kind of stuff really bugs me, lol....

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2004
  7. ghost640

ghost640 Member

Maybe they improve the bass by adding more 1's at the bottom end... :)

I was surprised about the decoding bit though. I had assumed that 5.1 DVD's use 5 independent tracks, each routed to one of the EXT outputs; seems like it would be tricky to do that over a single cable. I guess track ID's must be encoded as well. Can't wait to get back and play with this thing!

8. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Hello Ghost and Razz! I guess I am a true audiphile and I do boast of a rather discerning ear but being a techno-dunce and an audiophile is an unfortunate combination given the sophisticated nature of today's equipment! I'm so grateful, Razz, for sharing your expertise!

I'm intrigued by some things you mentioned to ghost: I have a multi disc CD player which I seldom use any more and which is just collecting dust; I play all my CDs through my DVD player because of the far superior sound and your words to Ghost seems to explain why. I can connect the CD player and the TV's audio out to other inputs? Since we both have the same receiver, which inputs can I safely connect them to? I guess I'm so fearful of damaging the unit that I would never have dared attempt it. As always, thanks for sharing your expertise! ... Gerry

9. Razz1234

Razz1234 Guest

If I understand you clearly, you want to "input" both a CD player and your TV's Audio to the Denon but in differently marked Inputs on the Denon.

If so you can use any of the following Denon inputs from audio sources of both your TV and CD players.

DVD
    VDP
    TV
    DBS
    VCR-1
    VCR-2

I beleive these are all equal in quality and have an input sensitivity of 10Hz - 100kHz. This is FAR more of a dynamic range than any DVD, CD, or TV will give. These also all have the same distortion level of 0.005% (20Hz - 20kHz).....NICE

of course you could use any of your assignable digital inputs too,
    opt-1
    opt-2
    opt-3
    opt-4
    coax-1
    coax-2

But, do [bold]NOT[/bold] input them into,
    phono
    CDR/tape
    these are very different types of inputs.

10. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Thanks Razz but I'd misread what you wrote to Ghost. My CD player was top of the line in its day but it is older and doesn't have a digital out. Lord, it sure makes a difference though; I was astonished the first time I played a CD through my DVD player. I always buy a new toy at income tax time so I suspect that will be my next addition. I took a look at that Denon Link 3 just for the heck of it and while it got great reviews, I'd have to win the PA lottery to afford such a component ... I only took a quick look though. Have a great New Year Razz, Ghost and all...Gerry

11. ghost640

ghost640 Member

Hi, and Happy New Year! After spending 26 hours to take a 6 hr trip, we're back home.

So I'm looking at the digital outs on my DVD player - I misspoke above, I have the Toshiba SD-5700, just like Gerry (good choice Gerry!), so we have pretty similar setups

The DVD player has 2 digital out sources under Bitstream/PCM- one is a 75 coax cable, the 2nd calls for an Optical Digital cable, which has the small square connector similar to the inputs on the Denon.

The manual says I can use either, but is there any reason to select one over the other? My instincts tell me to go with the optical, only because coaxial cable sounds so 1980's... Maybe there's a more acoustically correct reason?

Cheers!

12. ghost640

ghost640 Member

13. ghost640

ghost640 Member

Wow, I've stumbled onto quite a lot of discussion on this topic. The bottom line seems to be that there is little perceptible difference between the two (expected, since they're both sending the same data).

The optical cables seem to be more sensitive to bending or damage, but free of any kind of interference problems. The coax versions are sturdy, but more susceptible to potential interference from other electrical sources.

I'll head to Best Buy this afternoon and see what they have on the shelf, leaning toward the coax input. But I notice the 2805 gives 4 optical inputs, but only 2 coax. Still, nice to have plenty of options!

14. Zooboy

Zooboy Member

Another newbie here. I bought a Denon 2805 a couple days ago. It's all set up and seems to be working (and sounding) just fine. However, I'm confused by the Zone 2 option. I am set up for 5.1 and decided to use Zone 2 to power my outdoor speakers. I can switch to Zone 2 and hear sound outside, but I can't figure out how to have one source playing in Zone 2 and another in Zone 1. Am I just misunderstanding what this feature is supposed to do?

Also, when I'm finished listening, should I turn the amp all the way off or put it on standby? Any difference (except for the remote)? Does the standby mode generate heat? My brother-in-law has some high end Boulder equipment and he never shuts it off, which seems odd to me.

Thanks for any assistance!

15. Razz1234

Razz1234 Guest

Hey Zoo,
    I'm sorry to say this but using differnt Zones is a little tricky, you really need to read the manuel and go step by step. You will be able to play what ever you want in each Zone or play the same thing in each. Play around with it and expirement, you're not going to hurt it!

I believe your 2805 remote is similar to my old 3801, and so is the reciever. What I did with that one was hit the "amp" button until "multi" appeared in the digital display. Then selected the "source" to play. then had to turn up the volume (while "multi" was listed in the digital display)and only the outdoor speakers would turn up. Now, you don't turn "off" the multi Zone. What you do is turn to volume all the way off. I know that is a little wierd. But it was the easies way.

About the "off" button and "stand-by". Don't use the "off" button. Keep it on "stand-by". Basically, turning the system to stand by shuts down almost all the power. It will send a very small amount of power to the amplifier keeping it "warm".... not to the touch but ready to use. Only turn the whole system "off" if you are leaving for a week or two.

Congrats, on buying a great piece of equipment!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2005
  16. ghost640

ghost640 Member

Hey Zooboy, what kind of speakers are you pairing up with your 2805? I've been looking seriously at the Monitor Silver line (S2s, FXi's, and maybe a center speaker), but am looking for folk's experience.

Not much need for outdoor speakers, it was -32 this AM...

17. Zooboy

Zooboy Member

Thanks for the input Razz. I will do some experimenting later today. Ghost -- I have a fairly small 5.1 setup due to room size. All 6 speakers are from Cambridge Soundworks: Model 6 in front, Center Channel Plus, a 10 inch subwoofer and their 'classic' surround speakers with the bi/di switch. Certainly nothing very exotic, but the sound with the Denon is very clean -- quite an improvement over my old Yamaha RX-V692. I'm running a small (only 4 feet tall) pair of Magnaplanar SMGs in another room off of the main speaker B output. These are very nice in the mid and high ranges, but benefit from a subwoofer.

My outdoor speakers are safely stashed in the basement for the next 3-4 months. About 10 inches of snow expected here in the next 24 hours...