1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DENON 2807 starter setup help

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by korso55, Jun 23, 2007.

1. korso55

korso55 Regular member

hi, i just got my denon 2807 receiver today and i want to hook it up with my hd dvd player....everythings all connected but the instructions are very hard to follow i find. Could someone please give me the simple step by step on just how to watch a hd dvd movie on here???

thanks

2. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@Korso...I'm afraid I'm stuck on that one; mine is two years older and doesn't have HDMI. What kind of TV are you connecting it to? Are you using a cable box? Connecting units like a VCR or reg DVD player (not HD DVD) is useful because it will improve the picture quality but if its already an HD signal like your HD DVD player and HD Cable box, I would connect them directly to the TV but connect either the optical cable or digital coax cable from the HD DVD to the Denon. Connecting it that way, you can use it with or without the AVR. When great sound isn't important, you just use the TV with the TVs own sound; if you want all the various effects with great sound, then you use the AVR because you've got the digital cables connected to the Denon while you've got the analog connected to the TV. If you connect everything directly to the Denon, the problem is that you have to run the amp constantly.

You're going to need to be a little patient at first, its a pretty fancy unit and takes a little getting use to so its going to be a lot of trial and error at first. After a while, it gets easy because, all of a sudden, how to use it and set it up properly just all falls into place and its suddenly easy but it will be a bit frustrating at first but believe me, once you're use to it, it gets easy and make perfect sense ... I didn't have a clue how to use mine when I first got it; it was frustrating at first but slowly became easy.

Let me point out two basic things: 1) You'll notice that there are three power setting, not just two. When you have a green circle around the power button, the unit is "on". When you have a red circle around the power button the unit is on "standby" (which is what you want). You'll notice a smaller power button right near the one that lights up and that turns the unit completely off. Unlike old units that just had a couple of knobs that didn't change, this has all sort of electronic settings ... you need to leave the unit on "standby" (the red lit circle). It uses almost no power, but just enough to keep the settings; if its completely off for anymore than a couple of hours, all your setting will return to default. 2) Check the user manual for the words "activating the microprocessors"....you need to do that manually to activate the systems which produce all the effects. On mine, you hold down the pure direct & direct buttons until the green circle stops blinking; your's is probably the same but I can't say for sure.

Also, connect the monitor out to the TV so that you can read the menus properly; trying to read the options directly on the Denon will drive you nuts.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2007
  3. korso55

korso55 Regular member

I got it to work gerry thanks....but now i have a special challenge...im looking very carefully at the PQ of my hd dvd after it passes through my receiver...now i just bought any ol' hdmi cable(not the most "top of the line") i think it may have dampened the picture, it slightly doesnt seem as vibrant....does this mean to get the most expensive hdmi cable or should i not pass HD video through the receiver and instead just use monster component cables...because i really want that TruHD option....can i still achieve that with component cables??? what are my options if any?

I want the pristine picture and high def surround sound...please help me....can you help????

thanks

4. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

First of all, what kind of DVD player and what kind of TV are you using? ...are you sure it's an HD Television?? Does it have an HDMI input? I'm not sure how to answer you regarding the component cables because they can be used for hi def signals or just regular. Let me know what kind of DVD player and what kind of TV.

The receiver you have "upconverts" to a degree. I can't help but wonder if the video is simply "overprocessed" by connecting it to the receiver ...you don't need a top of the line HDMI cable. Try connecting the HDMI output of the DVD player directly to the HDMI input of the TV and I'm guessing the picture will be better but still, tell me what kind of DVD player and what kind of TV ... I'd like to check out a couple of things like the TV's native resolution etc.

There is a reason why you don't have an awesome PIC, we;ve simply got to find it; I doubt that its the cable. Again, try connecting HDMI of the DVD to the HDMI of the Television. I'll get into audio connections later. Don't forget to tell me the make and model of the DVD and TV. Don't get discouraged; its just a matter of working out the kinks ... I don't know what your other equipment is but you sure have one hell of an amp!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2007
  5. korso55

korso55 Regular member

I have a Sony SXRD Grand WEGA HDTV....with the toshiba hd dvd player and it also upconverts.

thanks your the best ger

6. korso55

korso55 Regular member

could there be a problem if they both upconvert? i hope so....how do i regulate that?

7. korso55

korso55 Regular member

is it a good idea to buy from axiom...thats where i got my speakers

8. eatsushi

eatsushi Regular member

korso55: I have the Denon 3806, a Sony SXRD and the Toshiba XA2 HD DVD player. This is how I have these hooked up. I get great 1080p and Dolby True HD from the HD DVD player:

VIDEO:
    XA2 -> HDMI cable -> Denon 3806 -> HDMI cable -> Sony SXRD

AUDIO:
    XA2 PCM output -> same HDMI cable as above -> Denon 3806

I have also tried this:
    XA2 5.1 analog outputs -> 6 RCA cables -> Denon 3806 analog inputs
    with the XA2 directly connected to the SXRD by HDMI for video
    with the same excellent results for Dolby True HD soundtracks.

If you have the A1 or XA1 or XA2 you can use 5.1 analogs and send the video signal directly to the SXRD by HDMI (bypassing the Denon).

If your HD DVD player is the A2 or A20 then you have no choice but to use the HDMI for both audio and video if you want Dolby True HD.

9. korso55

korso55 Regular member

I got everything working...but i need to know how to set it up where i have the TrueHD surround sound playing....im not sure if it is "DBS multichannel" or if it has a different name on the receiver, i have all the proper hook ups...please help