1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denon 2807

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by korso55, Jun 13, 2007.

1. korso55

korso55 Regular member

2. JVC

JVC Active member

4 ohm speakers, hooked up to an 8 ohm receiver, will put a very heavy load on the receiver. Can make the receiver run hot, and go into "protection mode", and shut down. Under normal conditions, it will be ok. (I know a guy that runs Polk LSi9's, with Denon 2803, with no problems) But, if you listen at loud volumes, especially for long periods, you'll run into problems.

3. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Yeah...what he said :) Axiom's are great speakers but stick to eight ohms, don't do something you'll later regret and my apologies; I should have looked closer at the impedence. A good observation Korso ... see what you've learnt already LOL!

The load value (in ohms) that the speakers present to the amplifier —the amount of resistance to the flow of current. While playing music, a speaker's actual impedance constantly fluctuates; however, speakers are usually given a single nominal impedance rating for easy comparison. Low-impedance speakers (4 ohms or less) can cause problems with receivers or amplifiers that are not designed to deliver large amounts of current.

Also, korso, you're doing some serious overkill there. You don't need 500watt speakers! You're adding substantial cost for power ratings that you'll never use in a home setting.

Your receiver: Amplifier Output Details 110 Watt p/c - 8 Ohm - 20 - 20000 Hz (the max of the human ear) - 7.1 channels

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2007
  4. korso55

korso55 Regular member

5. JVC

JVC Active member

Yes, looks like it to me.

6. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Those would be perfect. Excellent quality and beautiful looking too.

@JVC ... don't you have axioms?

7. JVC

JVC Active member

No gerry. I've never even seen any, except for pics. I have Allisons and Sony.

8. korso55

korso55 Regular member

what kind of speaker wire is the best for this set?

9. JVC

JVC Active member

12 AWG. or 14 AWG. will do great. They sell 100 ft. spools at Lowe's and Home Depot. I use the 14 AWG., from Lowe's.

10. korso55

korso55 Regular member

what are the differences between the gauges of speaker wire....12 AWG. or 14 AWG or 16 AWG? is there also any difference between the types of HDMI cables, they all seem the same to me?

11. korso55

korso55 Regular member

12. JVC

JVC Active member

should be fine...............
    I'd use at least 14 AWG wire. For long run of wire, use 12 AWG. Just about any HDMI cable will work fine.

13. korso55

korso55 Regular member

but what does it all mean? shorter guages are better?? i have some old 16 guage somewhere....should i get a shorter gauge?

14. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

The smaller the number the thicker the wire and the more smoothly and efficiently the current flows to your speakers without resistance to the current which smaller wire would produce ... produces a "cleaner" sound and less stress on the amp.

You needn't spend a fortune of speaker wire ... JVC mentioned LOWES...all the "legit" stores will sell it (even the heavier gauge Radio Shack speaker wire is adequate) but at the same time, you want to avoid no-name cheapo products like the plague ... a 14g wire is still useless if the wire in 75% tin! (Not a joke, the no name cheapo brand do stuff like that!)

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2007