1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Desktop from Ebay

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by amppatel, Jul 16, 2007.

1. amppatel

amppatel Member

Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

First of all, It's a good idea to ask here, then purchase it, but whatever.
    Your PC is 3.2Ghz not 6.4Ghz, he's doubled the figure because it's a dual core, not how it works I'm afraid. It's still a reasonable processor, but no 6.4Ghz!
    The techno-babbble on the article is laughably misleading, but nonetheless you've bought it. It isn't worth anywhere near £310 with those components (and has an awful power supply, beware of that, you may want to find something more reliable sharpish), but at least it's built for you. As for the OS, stick with XP. It's trusted and tested, and will cause you the least problems. You won't be gaming much with that graphics card, but at least you can guarantee the games you do play will be supported.

3. chubbyInc

chubbyInc Regular member

PENTIUM D DUAL CORE 6.4 GHZ

Is that a mis-print?

RAM and Hard-drive are a little low on specs for a machine like that, should have had 16MB cache on Hard-drive and 800 MHz for clock speed.
    But shouldn't notice too much of a difference

Stick with Windows XP, Vista is a memory hog.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

No he wrote:
    Well he's right, 3.2Ghz x 2 = 6.4Ghz, but that's a 3.2Ghz processor, not a 6.4Ghz processor.
    No matter how many cars you send down there, they'll only use two lanes and have a traffic jam, the other two lanes can only be used by another program. If that program doesn't have many cars, tough luck.

5. amppatel

amppatel Member

so this computer is pretty crap? why isnt the graphics card good?

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

It's not crap, but I think you paid more for it than it's worth. It's not a bad PC underneath, we were just making fun out of the rubbish that the guy selling it to you put on his page. The only thing that's bad about it is the power supply and the graphics card. A 7200 is the budget end card from last year, and cheap power supplies are usually very bad indeed. If you can upgrade the power supply to something decent like a Hiper, you at least know the PC should be roughly reliable. You can then work on upgrading the graphics. Evan a 7600GT will do, and they're well under £100 now.

7. amppatel

amppatel Member

does the power supply improve the preformance? what are the benifits of upgrading... and is a sapphire X1650 PRO AGP 8X good enough??

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That board's AGP? Wow that was cheap.
    As for the X1650 Pro, how much is that? try and go for a 7600GT, they're much better.
    The power supply won't improve performance but cheap power supplies have a tendency to go wrong and destroy PCs, so that's the first thing I'd advise you to replace.

9. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Man that seller is so misleading, double the speed lol. Are you into playing games? If not then get linux.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

What on earth? Where did that come from?
    I'd recommend Linux for a number of things, but at the very bottom of the pile would be gaming.

11. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Sorry that was not worded very well. I meant to say "Do you play games? No. OK then get linux.". The whole thing just got mixed up.

12. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

that is a pci/e 16 slot board not agp 8x.

13. chubbyInc

chubbyInc Regular member

I had a cheap power supply before, supplied with the tower I bought. Those don't last too long. Went and picked up an OCZ 520 watt. Yeah description says PCI express. I like the SATA slot on the rear, those are perfect for external hard-drives.

14. amppatel

amppatel Member

can i use the power suply from my old p.c its a Compaq S4500uk

cheers for all the help

15. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

How many watts is it? Even though they're cheap, I'd trust a Compaq power supply a lot more than what would come with a case, especially one like the one your PC's inside. I wouldn't recommend using it unless it's at least 350W, Pentium Ds suck a lot of power. If it's only a 200-300W unit (or less! :p) then I'd suggest you buy a new one.

16. amppatel

amppatel Member

the one that comes with the computer is 450, so what wrong with it? the one in my old computer is 250W

17. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The one in your old computer won't be sufficient. I say the 450W unit won't be sufficient, because it will be a power supply that came with the case. These are pretty much always very cheaply made, poor quality units. They never put out as much power as they say they do before they break, and they often break by themselves. When this happens, they destroy half the components in your PC, leaving you wishing you bought a decent power supply. It doesn't always happen, but it happens very often, so that's why I sawy upgrade the power supply before anything else.

18. amppatel

amppatel Member

so basically i need a new power supply and graphics cards, which do you guys suggest for a combined total of £110?? or lower (a graphics card that can play high end games)and what type of games will the gfx in the computer be able to play

Last edited: Jul 17, 2007
  19. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

20. amppatel

amppatel Member

ok, what if i upgrade it to a 8500GT 512MB??