1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Desperate RAM help

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by brum19, Jan 8, 2008.

1. brum19

brum19 Member

Hello,

I'm in need of desperate help, I sincerely hope someone can help me :(

Background:

I have an ACER computer which had 1GB (2 x 512 400Hz Kingston RAM) until last week when I bought and upgraded it to 2GB (2 x 1GB ~600Hz Kingston RAM). Due to lack of manual with the stupid computer, I have no idea what motherboard I have. The rest of the spec: AMD 62 x2 3800+ processor ans ATI x1650 g/card.

Now, all was well until a few games started randomly crashing to the desktop. After reading through forums, it appears that some games are sensitive to RAM and I therefore sought to underclock my RAM. However, it seems that in all their sh*ttness, ACER couldn't be arsed to let people with my BIOS tweak voltages etc.. so that was out of the question. So finally, I decided I'd buy a newer and more user friendly motherboard. In the meantime though, I wanted to be able to play my games until I go around to ordering the new motherboard - so I turned off my PC, pulled out the power cable, opened it up and popped the 2 sticks of 1GB RAM out. "Oh sh*t" I thought.. "I've forgot which way the RAM goes in.." so, after an annoyingly long time *forcing* the old RAM in, I turned my PC on.. it made a quick flash of power, then powered off. "Oooh sh*t I've put them in the wrong way", indeed I had. So I took the RAM out and put it back in the correct way, only this time, after many restarts of my PC, it gave continuous POST beeps signalling a RAM failure of some sort. While panicking I tried different combinations of the 2 1GB RAM sticks until I finally managed to get it to POST. It gave a healthy one bleep (when it felt like it..) but when about to boot up to the XP splash screen, it just froze. The hardware and fans were still operating, but in a steady dead-like state.

I spent more hours looking around on forums until I realised it may be down to the CMOS - apparently you should reset it via jumpers or taking the battery out when making hardware changes. Without the slightest clue were these where, I decided to try my new RAM back in again. This time everything worked fine and XP loaded up well.

This seemed very strange indeed, and I had a little nag in the back of my mind questioning whether I'd broken something.. maybe one of the RAM banks? So I right-clicked My Computer > properties.. and what did I find? "Memory: 1.0GB" ..

Oh.. dear..

I then rearranged my 2 sticks of RAM in the opposite slots to see if one may be faulty. I got into XP and checked it again and.. 1.0GB of RAM is shown to be available yet again.

This is the current situation I'm in. Please, please tell me there is the slightest possibility that it may be displaying the RAM size wrong, and in actual fact there is 2GB of RAM available?

Have I wrecked one of my RAM slots?

:(

Thanks for any help in advance.

2. brum19

brum19 Member

By the way, I ran the program from cpuid.com and it shows that regardless of each of the two 1GB sticks being in either slot, Slot #1 is always "empty" while Slot #2 always has RAM in it. This pretty much means I broke slot #1.. right?

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That seems like a sound diagnosis.