1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Desperately seeking help burning dvds

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by jimisan, Dec 30, 2004.

1. jimisan

jimisan Member

Ok, Before we begin, this is long, but i wanted to cover everything, every step i have tried. I am at my wits end..i think. I got a Benq 1620 dvd burner for xmas. It cane wuth Sonic software and both hardware and software have been installed. A friend gave me the movies "elf" and "day after tomorow", both of which are burned copies on memorex dvd-r. I purchased maxell dvd-r and tried to burn the movie elf with the sonic software. It works on the computer but on my pioneer dvd player, it states "can't play disc"....which the burnt source movie works on the pioneer. I then downloaded anydvd and nero 6, and still no luck. I tried clone dvd2 and gets the same thing. I tried shrink dvd and same. I even got memorex dvd-r and it still didn't work. Somebody told me to make sure that I "finalize" the dvd. I have never seen that option on any of the programs. I noticed on some of the programs, it states 'make a copy". should i try that instead of "burn"? Another person said something about copying images to the disk? I have tried burning at the software max speed and at 4x only. I have winxp as my os, on a hp computer, 256 ram and still lots of disk space. I think that covers it all. Help! Thanks, Jimi

2. hursty

hursty Active member

basically you dont know how to copy a dvd??? try this.
    1.download shrink dvd decrypter this what you will be using (dvd shrink to compress movie onto 4.7gb disc) (dvd decrypter to burn movie)
    2.open shrink.click EDIT>PREFERENCES>(now..target dvd size to custom...enter 4360mb..)
    3.EDIT>PREFERENCES>FILE I/O>untick the box "enable burning with nero" (we are not using nero)
    4.back to shrink main screen...ensure the full disc option is selected.
    5.click on "OPEN DISC"(MAKE SURE YOUR MOVIE IS IN DRIVE!!!!)
    6.the disc will be analysed(about 2 mins)
    7.you will now be shown a breakdown of the movie..untick anything you dont want,the more the better,get rid of subtitles etc.you can leave them there if you wish,but i prefer not to keep them(less movie to compress onto dvd blank)
    8.once you are satisfied,click "BACKUP"
    9.the movie will now be backed up onto your hardrive.this will take 1-2 hrs depending on file size
    10.once completed,dvd decrypter will automatically open(providing you have chosen "shrink with dvd shrink and burn with dvd decrypter)
    11.click MODE>ISO> tick WRITE
    12.the file you have just shrank should already be listed...enter the correct destination driver(dvd writer) you can use the same driver to shrink and burn if you like,it doesnt matter.
    13.untick "test mode & verify" we just want to burn copy.
    14.enter your desired write speed..dont go for anything higher than x4.
    15.thats it....click on highlighted symbol at bottom(the one with the drive/arrow/disc on)the movie will burn.
    16.there are other settings you can play around with,i.e eject when finished,shutdown etc..but these are the main requirements for hassle free copying.
    REGARDS HURSTY. let me know how you get on.
    P.S MAKE SURE YOU HAVE AT LEAST 5GB OF SPACE ON YOUR HARDRIVE...IF THIS DOESNT WORK..YOU HAVE POOR MEDIA.

3. rroettger

rroettger Regular member

DVD Shrink is not needed to copy a copy.

It is not just a function of file size, but compression and CPU power. My backups (with deep analysis) take around 30 minutes with a P4 3.2 GHz HT. If it plays on your PC you have made a copy. The stand alone is a compatiblity problem.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2004
  4. hursty

hursty Active member

i know it doesnt...but it will allow for you to edit the movie.and this info will allow him to copy originals in the future as he so wishes.

5. hursty

hursty Active member

bully for you,but we dont all have p4 3.2 ghz,my car probably goes faster than yours..but who cares???,this forum is for helping people,not for picking faults with peoples posts.there are varations in everything,this is just an example

6. zippyd

zippyd Active member

I think I remember reading somewhere that Maxell -R discs are crap as far as quality goes and their +R are good. Different supplier contracts I guess.

I would try different discs first. Here's some info on disc manufacturers and their quality.....
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

When you are ready to try again, I would use Nero. In Smartstart menu of nero, select copy and backup, and then DVD.

7. jimisan

jimisan Member

Hursty, Thanks for the info. When i do the custom compress in shrink to the number that you gave, on the main screen, it shows it as being 97.5% to compress. is that normal? When its done backing up, it creates two folders. 1.audio_ts 2. video_ts. I did everything as stated, tick this, untick that, and when it comes time in decrypter to burn the folder does not show automatically and when i try to select it or the files in it, a box pops up, "invalid or unsupported video file". oh and btw the audio folder has nothing in it. Did something not compress correctly? Now i am at decrypter and get get it to burn becuase it does not recognize the stuff i just compressed. Sorry, Jimi

8. hursty

hursty Active member

basically the 97% means no compressing is needed,you will not nessacerily need shrink as "ROETTGER" pointed out,i just put shrink on there as this is what you normally use to compress a original dvd.try this.
    1.open up dvd decrypter
    2.click on MODE>ISO>WRITE
    3.select source drive
    4.chose your destination.i.e hardrive.C
    5.click on highlighted symbol
    6.the movie will now be transfered onto hardrive
    7.once done,click MODE>ISO>WRITE.
    8.select the file from your hardrive.(MDS)
    9.select the destination drive
    10.click highlighted symbol.
    if this doesnt work,i would change the media your using

9. jimisan

jimisan Member

Thanx hurtsy

I will give that try when i get home. damn this a challenge for me!! i love it!!!
    jimi

10. jimisan

jimisan Member

hursty, I tried that last trick of yours, but the source disk won't 'recognize' the .ifo files and wont allow me to copy them to the hard drive. I did manage to get them to the hard drive with another program. When i try now, and select the folder that has the dvd files, a popup comes up, "unsupported or invalid image file format". and i can't get past that. The files that come from the source dvd are .ifo & .vob & .blp is that normal? It doesnt matter what the program is, i can't seem to get the write format going. Arggh Any suggestions, anyone?
    Jimi

11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

hursty,

This forum is also about learning - AND it's about respect, you need to show some to those who have earned it -
    jimisan clearly asked how to copy a copy and you very clearly did not answer his query. You went off on a tangent that was not required.

When your posts aren't clear OR as in this case, were in fact not what was asked for then you will get corrected - Get used to it UNLESS you are so almighty great and can do no wrong, know far more than anyone of us here -lose the attitude -

It's going to happen - deal with it -

You owe rroettger an apology -

He corrected you and your response was - "I know it doesn't...but "

There is No "BUT" - you demonstrated that you're not so almighty -

Again, you need to lose the attitude and apologize to rroettger -

Pete

12. rroettger

rroettger Regular member

thanks pete. I was not trying to say look mine is bigger, just we have no clue what the system that was involved and thus no way to give any time frame. Even on my own system I am somtimes surprised by time changes.

13. Furd

Furd Member

Hey jimisan:

To burn with Decrypter it needs an ISO file, not .ifo. I think that is why you are getting the file type error.

Try ripping your original with Shrink with output file set to ISO. When it is done, look at the file on the hard drive - it should be of type ISO (not a folder). If it is, just couble click on it and Decrypter should launch and burn.

Good Luck

ff

14. jimisan

jimisan Member

Thanx furd, i will give that a try with smart ripper. So, maybe that is what the problem is, wrong extensions like i listed earlier?
    jimi

15. Furd

Furd Member

Actually it's not just extensions. It's the actual file type. An ISO file is a track by track image of the data that Decrypter will burn onto the DVD-R. The VOB, .ifo, and .bup files are the actual files used by the DVD playback software and are more or less independent of where they are on the disk.

If smart ripper can output an ISO file, then you can burn it with DVD Decrypter. I've not used smart ripper myself so can't comment.

Good Luck

ff

16. jimisan

jimisan Member

hip hip hooray! I got it work. From the time that i installed the benq burner, i noticed that the hardware device was listed as being atapi .... i was told by someone that that was normal. during this whole thing of different burner software and different dvd's, in the back of my mind, i still wasn't comfortable with the device be listed as atapi.... After a long search i was able to get the latest firmware for benq and gave it a whirl and now my system reads it as being benq. Since then it been BURN BABY BURN!!! I want to thank everyone for the input and their help. I am sure that i will run into a snag, and when i do, i will be back for your great advice. Thanks everyone. Jimi

17. acebailey

acebailey Regular member

I am having the same problem as jimisan, and found that I saved the file as an IFO file. Is there any way to change that file now that it is already saved or do I have to go through the whole process again? Also how do I change the stting to save it as an Iso file in Shrink? or would that be done in DVD decrypter? Thanks for any help

18. Furd

Furd Member

You have to re-rip your movie and save as an ISO file. You do this after Shrink has completed it's initial analysis.

After you select "Backup" from the top toolbar in Shrink, select "ISO file" from the "target file" drop down menu. That will save your output file as an ISO file.

If you have Nero or another DVD burning program you can burn VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS files directly onto a DVD. Decrypter won't do this however.

ff

19. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

I so love it when they say that - I haven't seen one yet that has the "Same Problem" -

They always do something different and we have to divine what it was - Lol What a world -

20. bill1996

bill1996 Member