1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

details on PSx boot sector

Discussion in 'PS2' started by smith1024, Jun 21, 2004.

1. smith1024

smith1024 Guest

I have seen many posts talking about not being able to copy the encrypted boot sector of a PS2 CD. I have also seen how you can make a CD-R bootable (for example for XP). But I have not seen any guide or post describe why can't it be copied to a CD-R especially since someone non-Sony can reproduce it for the swap method... pointers someone? anyone?

2. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

well in xp boot disk you a file that boots it up... when it comes to ps2 you got the same but only in a diffrent idea... when xp got a file.. ps2 got the code PRINTED on the media surface... you cant burn it you cant read it...

3. smith1024

smith1024 Guest

Is the concept here that prior to any 'markers' denoting the first sector there is data that the PS executes as boot code? If so, how does the PS locate it? (It's own my-sector-signature?)

4. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

the lens on the ps2 moves futher to the inner ring... allowing it to reach the code and check the barcodes and the sony sginature... the codes are NOT data... if they were you would have been playin backups w/o chips by now...

5. smith1024

smith1024 Guest