1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Determining Mpeg codec

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by H0ek, Apr 3, 2002.

1. H0ek

H0ek Member

Hi all,

I recently obtained a file with a .mpg extension. I realize extensions mean nothing, so how can I find the real encoding of the file?

My problem lies in that I cannot view this file on most Windows machines using the Windows Media Player. The one exception is my personal machine where I have WinDVD installed. Seems a codec has been installed that does the trick. Unfortunately, the codec doesn't describe the file format, so I'm no better off.

Here's the funny bit. I can use ImageMagick on Linux to convert this file (whatever it may be) to MPEG. Once converted, WMP allows me to view the video and audio fine.

That could be the solution, but all Image Magick tells me is "MPEG-2 PES packet". Not very descriptive.

So, rather than convert this nice, high quality video file just to view it, is there an easier way to find the appropriate codec and install it?

Thanks in advance.

2. johnbmx

johnbmx Member

maybe its an svcd format mpeg2 or a dvd format mpeg 2? anyway the closest thing that i found that will tell the insides of an mpeg is a program called "mpeg properties" found on vcdhelp.com i think it was under "tools"it tells stuff like the audio frequecy mpeg 1 or 2 etc..hope this helps a bit.

3. Ketola

Ketola Turned ninja Staff Member

It's most likely an SVCD MPEG2 file, like John said. You can try playing it with PowerDVD.

There's a software called Bitrate Viewer that also tells you the used MPEG compression. It's available at:
    http://www.tecoltd.com/bitratev.htm