1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Devhook or OE firmware?

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by Mailyfesu, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Mailyfesu

Mailyfesu Member

is it better to use a Custom firmware than devhook on 1.5? Do Custom firmwares have HEN?

2. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Simply put, yes custom firmware like 3.03 OE-C and 3.40 OE-A are much better than devhook.

3. Mailyfesu

Mailyfesu Member

Which OE firmware is better?

4. Spark135

Spark135 Member

Thats a good question....Mine psp is fw2.71 installed with devhook 4x launcher ffor 2.71!!
    Can I possible ugrade to a custom firmware u're talking about so I could play the latest downloaded games..cause mine could play games but not the latest one...

5. Spark135

Spark135 Member

One more question...Pls explain whats the different between firmware,custom firmware and devhook...?? I believe custom Fw aand devhook could still play downloaded games right??
    Correct me if i'm wrong....

6. Mailyfesu

Mailyfesu Member

Firmware is simply the software that operates the hardware, custom firmware is unofficial software not made by sony, devhook is emulation of official sony firmware i believe

7. Spark135

Spark135 Member

Thats a good info... mine psp is Fw 2.71 with devhook 4x launcher for 2.71 so how do I know
    if mine fw is custom...??

8. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

@Mailyfesu
    The newest custom firmware 3.40 OE-A is the best custom firmware.

@Sparks135

Okay to explain the differences. Firmware in laymons terms is the PSP's operating system. Now firmware 1.5, 2.71, 3.50, etc. are firmwares made and released by Sony. All Sony firmwares except firmware 1.5 do not let you play homebrew, your iso's, etc. Custom firmware is a firmware written by a very intelligent programmer who goes by the name Dark-AleX. It is basically a mashup of Sony's latest firmware and firmware 1.5. With it you get the latest features from Sonys firmware plus you can still play your iso's and homebrew. DevHook is a homebrew app developed before the days of custom firmware to emulate/imitate Sonys newest firmware. Thus still being able to play the new games that required the new firmware on your old firmware 1.5 psp. Essentially a virtual machine on your PSP running a virtual PSP.

Also Spark135 if you have firmware 2.71 you can downgrade, and I can tell you how I just need to know what version motherboard you have. Use this picture to tell me...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2007
  9. Spark135

Spark135 Member

Wow...Thats the best explanation I ever hear....!!
    Thanks Pea!! Will get back to you on which motherboard I'm having on my psp...
    Cause I'm now working and my psp is at home resting... :)
    Thanks again....

10. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Thanks I was rather proud of my explanation :) But yeah just let me knwo what type of motherboard and I can walk you through everything.

11. Spark135

Spark135 Member

Hi Pea...check the back of my psp and only found IC6001 on the left side....Man,the wording is damm small...took me 1/2 hour to figure
    it out...!!!So wats the next step...And wat does this mean??

12. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Downgrade to 2.71

Files needed to downgrade...
    2.71 Downgrade Files
    Firmware 1.5 Update

Steps to Downgrade:

Note before your doing this charge your PSP to 100% just to make sure you won't run out of battery power any along the downgrade process. And after the PSP is fully charged leave the charger cable in for safe measures.

1)Format your memorystick

2)Copy all the files from the 2.71 Downgrade package to the root of your memory stick. Don't know what the root of your memory-stick is? Look below...
    [​IMG]

3)Now extract the 1.5 EBOOT.PPB from within the EBOOT_1.50.zip file and rename it to UPDATE.PBP. Then copy the file to X:/PSP/GAME/UPDATE folder.

4)With the AC adapter to the PSP highlight the PHOTO icon and then press Trianglethen Slideshow

5)One of two things will happen...
    *The PSP freezes, just restart manually and try again.
    *Red screen the process has failed.Reset manually and try again.
    *Blue or green screen the process was a success the PSP will reset itself.

6)Go to the GAME menu and run UPDATE X.YZ.
    *Note* If your battery is less than 75%, the PSP will not do anything. It will just restart.

7)If everything goes well then it will display something like this "Doing preparations and Extracting special PRXs"

8)After the screen will change to magenta or pink text Press X
    The PSP will show a percentage bar which is how far along the downgrade is.

9)When it finishes it will say to press X and the PSP will restart itself.

10)You are now at firmware 1.5!
    7)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2007
  13. Spark135

Spark135 Member

So after the downgrading I could play all games,old and newest games that need fw 3.11 and higher... Than wat about this custom
    fw 3.40 OE-A...Wats the different between both of it???
    Sori Pea,you will be getting a lot of question from me since I"m
    a newbie in this...Hope you don't mind...

14. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Nope don't mind at all. And sorry I didn't get a chance to add this bit info to my guide, but anyway after downgrading to firmware 1.5 you will want to upgrade to custom firmware 3.40 OE-A. Basically you can still play homebrew apps/games, and you have full support for the latest games. Any ways heres a link to a 3.40 OE-A Easy Installer. To install it first format your mem.stick and make sure you battery is charged up and of course keep the charge cable in it. No put your firmware 1.5 PSP into USB mode, run the easy installer, and after it is done copying the files quit the USB mode, go to the game menu and run the "3.40 OE-A Update".

3.40 OE-A Easy Installer

15. Spark135

Spark135 Member

Okay...So i hav to downgrade to 1.5 b4 I could upgrade to custom firmware 3.40...But wat about my devhook launcher and hanb?? do I delete it from my mem stick b4 i downgrade to 1.5...??

16. Spark135

Spark135 Member

hey pea...I can't extract the file from E_boot 1.50zip...
    It shows that file is corrupted...Need your help man!!
    But I could extract the 2.71 downgraded...!!

17. Spark135

Spark135 Member

WOW!!! All this step is sooo complicated..!!
    But I will try it...Hope it won't brick my psp if I get the step wrong...

18. Spark135

Spark135 Member

Hey Pea need your help..!! I already done as your instruction..
    When i go to game menu and run update x.yz it shows Doing preparations and Extracting special PRXs from pbp" and suddenly it shows cannot find UPDATE.PBP. and when back to the main page....HELP ME!! I went thru this process lots of time and it shows the same thing...I hav pasted the file (update pbp) in the correct folder as mention...but why isn't it showing ny percentage bar as no.8

19. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Active member

Well to begin with download the firmware 1.5 Update again, as it seems you have a corrupted download. Now delete the old 1.5 eboot you put on your memorystick. Now take the one you just downloaded, if you don't get "file corrupted" rename the file to UPDATE.PBP and put it in the UPDATE folder in the GAME folder. If you dont have a UPDATE folder go ahead and create one. Everything should work now.

20. Mailyfesu

Mailyfesu Member

Can the files be removed after the downgrade?