1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

device buffer woes - external usb 2.0

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by trancer70, Jan 4, 2005.

1. trancer70

trancer70 Member

Ok - here's the specs : PIII 700 MHZ, 384 MB ram, 40 GB HD, NEC ND3500AG DVDRW connect via external IDE to USB 2.0 enclosure and pcmcia USB 2.0 cardbus.

When I try and burn DVD's with nero or decrypter - I notice the device buffer dropping off a lot (as if DMA wasnt enabled if it was a IDE device) but since its USB 2.0, DMA obviously isnt there. For eg. when I burn at 2x, the buffer usually stays at around 94% but every few mins takes a dive to zero and climbs up again. This has caused a problem sometimes when viewing the movie on a standalone player. It gets worse at 4x - the buffer jumps up and down during the whole burn. Now when I read (or decrypt) from a DVD, the seems to be no speed issues at all. The notebook only has one usb 1.1 port but I use a pc card that has usb 2.0 ports on it, plus the drivers for the card are installed and does list the enhanced host controller with usb 2.0 mass storage device in device manager.

I am trying to figure out what is causing the device buffer to drop off like that - I was thinking there might be a problem with the USB 2.0 speed and maybe its only working at usb 1.1 transfer rates but I'm not sure even how to go about testing that speed. Anyone run into a similar problem or have a suggestion?

2. pulsar

pulsar Active member

What OS are you using? if it is XP you may not have enough RAM

3. trancer70

trancer70 Member

2000 sp4 installed

4. pulsar

pulsar Active member

You still need DMA as you are still transferring data to your HD when reading/encoding, & back through your HD to your burner. I do not know about enabling DMA in 2000, but I would have thought you still have it & it is in your BIOS.
    You do not have the fastest PC in the world, but it should still do it. You will still not get the times that most here get as most have faster processors & more memory. My specs are in my sig.
    Burning dvds is a high resource process, your PC just might not have the guts to maintain a substantial buffer. You could then end up with errors. This is accentuated as you are trying to burn at 4x. You may end up having to burn at 1x so your system can keep up.
    Hope this helps,
    Kind regards,
    Pulsar

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Your main problem is that of your processor. You are going to continue to run into problems with newer software with that PIII. I wish you all the luck, but if you can afford it you need to get a new processor and mother board more than likely. Using a 700MHz processor you need to absolutly make sure nothing is running on your system while doing this process and neve multitask.