1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Devices: Plextor PX-M402U, Plextor PX-M401U and ADS Instant DVD 2

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by bocko57, Apr 27, 2004.

1. bocko57

bocko57 Member

Ok, I am on the search again since I recently got my DVD Burner. Now that I have a good feel of the device, I want to start converting my HI8mm to DVD. Taking a look at tigerdirect.com I found a few devices under $150 (see above). And my questions are: any recommendations regarding the above devices and is there something better than the above for $150 or less?

Thanks
    Chris

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Those Plextor or allmost any USB device is going to Be Crap...They have just not perfected the USB Capture technoligy, well actually they have But the Ones that are any good run at least $300 and aren"t Made By Companies Like Plextor or Pinnacle or ADS...
    I have Heard Nothing But Bad things From every one who has gotten a Plextor ConvertX Device...If you Look Back through Old Posts you will find some very un-happy Plextor customers...You should either Go from a PCI Device or if you have to go external then double the Money you have to spend and Look at something like the "Canopus MpegPro" ,OR go with a Firewire DV Device Like the Canopus ADVC-50/55 or ADVC-100....Trust me USB is generally NOT a good Idea unless you have the Money to buy a Good Quality hardware Mpeg encodeing device....

3. bocko57

bocko57 Member

Thanks Minion! I value you advice. Going to continue my search.

Thanks again
    Chris