1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did i get ripped off?

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by tnbasser, May 11, 2004.

1. tnbasser

tnbasser Guest

I just bought DVDxtreme..after talking to the sales clerk..and them beating around the bush (because of a law suit) they informed me that the program will do what i wanted, little hints that i would have to search the web to find something that would complete the package. I have tried everything and nothing works..DVD shrink..dvddcrytor..the only program that works is nero and then when i try to burn to a disk it tells me that the program is too large. Can anyone help me out there, and before you answer, i am no puter wiz..just the basic guy trying to get something to work..so would appreciate any help..thanks guys

2. kaledrr

kaledrr Member

you need first to shrink the size of the DVD, you can use DVD Shrink, is good one where it make it smaller to fit any DVD+R, or DVD-R

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hi,

In answer to the thread title - yes, you did.

With a properly configured system and good media, there is no reason that Shrink or Decrypter shouldn't work. How exactly were they not working for you?

4. winco28

winco28 Member

Hi tnbasser, you might want to try dvd43

5. colw

colw Active member

Yes - you have been ripped off

Best combination of software for backups is:

DVD Shrink
    DVD Decrypter

Guides and downloads available this site.

Also advisable is Nero.

Also ensure that you do not have Roxio software installed on your machine - it tends to be problematic and conflicts with many programs.

6. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

tnbasser, I don't think anybody was buying the Ripper Free DVDXCopy Platinum, so DVDxtreme is like Platinum RF bundled with other 321 software. All you need is a ripper. Xtreme should do what Shrink does. But yes, if you compare it like this DVD Shrink & DVD Decrypter are free!

7. flip218

It's been almost a week since your first post. Did you ever get DVDxtreme to work? If I understood how it works it should go something like this.
    1)Rip the movie with seperate ripper(ie. DVD Decrypter)
    2)Decrypter will create video_ts folder
    3)Open Xtreme and what ever program is used to burn dvd's open that and search for that video_ts folder.

When I spoke to 321, the tech described it as being similar to Platinum RF, but with extras.

8. 321sucker

321sucker Regular member

TO:tnbasser

Dont think of it as being ripped off if you can get Xtreme to work for you. 321 makes good products if you can get them to work for you, although their products are temperamental. ANYHOW
    You can use the Decryptor program to rip the movie to the video_ts folder and use Xcopy RF to browse to the video_ts folder to burn. Doesnt matter about the file size, Xcopy will compress the movie to the size of the dvd.This will give you the results that you want.

9. mcalister

mcalister Regular member

Don't forget about Neros updates that you can find here or their main website. strone

10. tnbasser

tnbasser Guest

Hey guys, first of all thanks for your responses. Like i stated, I am a newbie to this and lost at times. I finally got ahold of 321 Studios, after being put on hold for a hour..i called their sales line..amazing they picked up on the first ring. Refund is supposed to be on the way..we will see.

I have tried dvdshrink and decryptor. The DVDshrink works fine however when i try to open the file with decryptor it will not open. The folder is there and all of the files are in the folder. I have downloaded their guide and went thru it step by step and no dice.

I am currently trying a trial copy of Clonedvd2, and it seems to be working fine. I use dvdshrink and then use Clondedvd2 to burn, and so far no problems after about 12 good burns.

Wish i could figure out Decryptor as it seems like there are a lot of great reviews on it, and of course you cant beat the price. If anyone has any ideas then i would appreciate it..Thanks

11. 321sucker

321sucker Regular member

Try ripping the movie with decrypter and burning the movie with shrink.

12. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

tnbasser ,
    I think this is what you are trying to do but are getting confused. Try it this way

1. Make a folder on your Desktop> call it Rip Movies

2. Insert Movie in either DVD burner or DVD-Rom and click cancel when it asks you what to use to open the movie

3. Open DVD Shrink> click Open Disc> Shrink does quick analysis

4. Movie Only Option

a. Go to Re-author and Click

b. Under Main movie slide the main movie to the left under DVD Structure

c. You can now remove the languages you do not want and the audio you do not want.

5. Click Backup and go to burn setting and disable Nero if you have Nero

6. Click SelectTarget Drive> click Iso Disc Image

7. Select Target Image File> Browse>Desktop> Rip Movie ( file you made)

8. Make sure to check the box Launch DVDDecrypter to burn the output image

9. click O.K

10. It will now do analysis and then encode the movie and automatically burn with DVDDecrypter

13. flip218

Doesn't shrink create video_ts files if you don't change the target destination to "ISO"? And can Decrypter open video_ts files? I've only used decrypter to open ISO Image files.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Dell 8250, Pentium 4 2.80GHz
    1.5 GB RDRAM, 200GB HD
    TDK 840G, Sony DDU-1612 DVD-ROM
    XP Pro, ATI All-In-Wonder 9000 Pro

Gateway 450, Pentium III 450MHz
    384 MB SDRAM, 160GB HD
    NEC 2100A, LiteOn LTD-163 DVD-ROM
    XP Home, 16MB nVidia RIVA TNT[/small]

Last edited: May 20, 2004
  14. punx777

punx777 Regular member

what exaclty does the RF mean? i know ripper free but could someone dumb it down for me???

15. punx777

punx777 Regular member

what exaclty does the RF mean? i know ripper free but could someone dumb it down for me???

16. flip218

the software will compress and burn. It just won't rip(extract the files). So you need a seperate ripper program. Then once you rip the files, you can then compress to fit dvd +/-r, and then burn. Hope that made sense.

17. flip218

oops wrong thread :)
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Dell 8250, Pentium 4 2.80GHz
    1.5 GB RDRAM, 200GB HD
    TDK 840G, Sony DDU-1612 DVD-ROM
    XP Pro, ATI All-In-Wonder 9000 Pro

Gateway 450, Pentium III 450MHz
    384 MB SDRAM, 160GB HD
    NEC 2100A, LiteOn LTD-163 DVD-ROM
    XP Home, 16MB nVidia RIVA TNT[/small]

Last edited: May 22, 2004
  18. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

RF= Ripper Free

19. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

flip218,
    Q. Doesn't shrink create video_ts files if you don't change the target destination to "ISO"?
    A. Yes
    Q. And can Decrypter open video_ts files? I've only used decrypter to open ISO Image files.
    A. No

20. brobear

brobear Guest

Get a coke and a sandwich. And now lets all go back to school. Newbie class. This is a recorded offering (just kidding). I'll use a bunch of the terms and let you know what they are as we go. Most of the programs I mention are on my computer and I use then in various combinations. I like them all, some more than others. I'm a software junky. When I use words in a string, like ripper/decrypter/deCSS, that is because they are often used interchangably and for the education of fresh Newbies. Onward.

A 'Ripper' is software that removes the encryption from a file/movie so that software programs called 'Burners' (writing programs) can burn/write the ripped/deCSS/decrypted (de-encrypted) file/movie to a disc. It takes an editing software program to edit and compress a large file/disc (new movies are near 8 Gigabytes) to copy to the 4.7 Gig DVD R discs.

The multi-task software programs - Rip, Edit, and Burn. So called one button programs do the job on their own and some programs only do a couple of tasks. The Xcopy Xpress was a true one button deal, it ripped, edited, and burned automaticly. The Platinum had advance editing features. Then 321 hit a snag in court and had to disable the ripper (decryptiion portion of software).

If you check the strings, there is a 3rd party fix mentioned for enabling the ripper in the XCopy RF (ripper free) here on AfterDawn. The bouducon.dll file from the old version is exchanged for the bouducon.dll file in the new RF. The gifted can do it manually and the the fix from tripod will help the others. No annoying backup disclaimers from the RF version.

CloneDVD2 is an excellent program, if you can stand the 'cutsie' screens. Clone is one of the programs that is ripper free. Meaning you have to decrypt/rip the file for Clone with another software program.

AnyDvd is an excellent program to run with Clone. It removes the encryption automaticly so any editing or burner software can use the encrypted files. AnyDVD runs automaticly in the background or can be set to be turned on manually.

Heres how it works. While the encrypted disc is running, the AnyDVD masks/removes the encryption so the editing and burning software (Clone) can edit and burn the disc. If you notice, ripper free programs (set not to record encrypted software)will inform you that they can't record the encrypted files. I just burned a 4.5 G movie with AnyDVD and CloneDVD2 in about 38 minutes at 4X. The movie ran 2 hrs and no flaws. There are other ways to decrypt for Clone, but AnyDVD is the easy one for the program. Rip, edit, and burn; keep it simple.

AnyDVD and DVDDecrytor are just two of the many ripper programs out there. Decryptor is free and AnyDVD is trialware. While I'm at it, let me say AnyDVD will even remove audio encryption in case you need to record any encrypted audio CDs.

Another one of my favorites is DVDShrink. Shrink will do decrypting/ripping, editing, and burning. Shrink is set up to work with Nero as the burner. In fact that is the default when Nero is present. Shrink is free and Nero is trialware. Some people mention using DVD Decryptor to burn. Questionable when Shrink will do it, but works better with the powerful Nero burner. DVDShrink will work without Nero, but just not as well.

You can get the maximum speeds of your drive with Nero when using Shrink. So don't cut corners and get the Nero, at least for the trial. After the trial the Shrink will drop back to 2X if you don't get a license for the Nero. Nero can be a one button burner, alone, as long as you don't try to use files too large or encrypted, burns DVDs and CDs.

That said, DVDShrink will do the the job by itself. It can rip utilizing IFO, ISO files and Video_TS from the hard drive and disc drives (that's the reason you have the open disc and open file choice...more on that later), then edit, and then burn when you hit Backup (as I said, does best with Nero though the command to burn is given in Shrink). The easiest way to see it is that Nero is incorporated with Shrink and acts as a part of a single recording package. Rip, edit, burn.

When using ISO files it is nice to have an emulator program (gives you a folder on the hard drive that the computer sees as a DVD/CD ROM drive). Daemon is one of many, it's good and a freebie. With an ISO file loaded on an emulator, 321 Software will pick it up the same as a disc drive. In fact the computer designates a drive letter for the simulated drive. So once loaded, if you have to browse, you enter the letter assigned to the simulated drive and go as usual.

An emulator is nice to have with a lot of software (like play that ISO file from the hard drive like you would a disc on your dvd player to make sure you got a good file copy to burn and then there are all the different decrypted files you can burn on any number of editing and/or burner programs). I've not used the 321 Extreme, but if it is any thing like the older 321 software, it will recognize the emulator drive. There, we even touched on a solution for that problem. Decrypt to ISO, load on an emulator, and edit and burn. That combo goes rip, load, edit, burn.

Decryptor is a standalone ripper that works easily with various types of files. I have an affinity for ISO due to using the emulator, Daemon. It also does the TS in the File Mode and you have the IFO Mode. You can even write using the Decryptor in the ISO W (write) Mode. So that makes Decryptor a dual function software (rip and write). Most people just use Decryptor as a ripper and use the files with other programs.

AnyDVD is a ripper.

Shrink does it all.

Xcopy did it all until the RF.

CloneDVD2 is a editing, burner.

Now that you see what these programs are for, you don't want to repeat functions. You just want to rip, edit and burn. You don't want to do rip, rip, edit, burn or something like rip, edit, edit, burn. Repeating the same process through software programs is a big waste of time.

I like my version of Platinum XCopy. I have 2 versions loaded and both work flawlessly now. I did have problems to solve once. I like the CloneDVD2 with the AnyDVD. I like the battery of DVD Decrytor, DVD Shrink, Nero, and Daemon. I learned on these freebies and trialware while the 321 had gone south and I like using them in various ways. Together they are one of the most formidable recording setups/bundles I know and they sufffer little from software interference problems.

To conclude, let me say, "Lots of memory, big hard drives and fast processors do the best job with video recording." Those of you near the minimum requirements will have more problems with software interference. What you don't see will hurt you.

There are programs and processes that run in the background that a lot of people are not aware of and that use memory. You can check it out and hit start, run, enter msconfig and turn off/disable a lot of the background programs and processes (conserve memory).

You need the big drives because you need about 16 Gigabytes free to record properly. The faster processors just do a better job with streaming video. So, I am an advocate of bigger is better in this case.

Finesse does need to be observed when recording though. Another point, try to make sure the recording software is the only thing running (even on the big machines), it makes a big difference in the quality of the movies (like lower the likelihood of those tiled screens and the jumps).

Hope this has been of help. Shows what the bundled software does and the ease of the one button software and how the bundles acheive the same end: rip, edit, burn. The one button deal is easy and the advanced edit programs deal better with compression. A lesson for a later day.

One button is best for Newbies and as you learn, advance into editing. You see, there is a place for different types of software and a lot of criticism is usually about improper use and setup or computer problems. Granted, there are the software interference problems like 321 had. By the way, a strange connection: bigger drives and more memory have fewer problems with the older 321 software.

321 got a bum wrap because they were dealing with the courts at the same time they were doing the fixes. My hat goes off to 321 because they were among the first and they are still fighting for our rights to backup our purchased merchandise. They solved all my problems in a timely manner. I know, I've heard the horror stories of hours of waiting. Wonder why people have a tendency to call on the same days and at the same time(think work schedules)? Lest I editorialize...

Good luck and happy burning