1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did I install my Wiikey right? Please help...

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by rog2e, Dec 6, 2007.

1. rog2e

rog2e Member

Hi I just wanted to know if I'm on the right track. I installed my Wiikey first try but I question my connections. However here's the thing, I made a boot disk and can see the Gamecube screen in the Wii channels however when I choose start to go to the channel I get the Disk error. My question is, is the fact that I can see the Gamecube channel proof my Wiikey is installed correctly even though I can't get into the channel (I'm thinking then maybe it's just bad media), or would I see the Gamecube channel from the boot disk even if say I never installed a Wiikey. I'm just trying to determine if it is just a media problem or if I should try re-soldering my Wiilkey. My original disks still work but I have no backups to test just the setup disk. I bought my Wii back in Nov. 06. Thanks...

2. jatruh

jatruh Member

It sounds like everythings ok, either try some new media or burn slower 2x-4x.

3. Sagadon

Sagadon Guest

Ya - A failed install wouldn't see the disk as a Gamecube disk. I use verbatim DVD-R at 4x and have no problems.

4. rog2e

rog2e Member

Well I went out and bought Memorex DVD-R because they didn't have Verbatims at Circuit City or Staples. I also got a hold of some TDK DVD-R. I tried burning at 2x, 4x, 8x and 16x all with still the same result that being I see the Gamecube channel on startup but when I try to start it I get the disk errors. Can the Wiikey be "half way installed?" or is it, it either works or doesn't. Anyway is it worth it to still try and get the Verbatim at this point? Also does the burner matter? I have an IBM laptop that is only about a year old with a Matshita burner and am running Vista. I used Imgburn to burn the setup disk. Thanks.

5. cincymike

cincymike Member

I had the same problem. Instead of burning the boot disc, try burning the 1.9 update. I bet it works. My wiikey plays burnt games flawlessly but never would read the boot disc. I can see the game cube logo and then I get the same disc error. Just burn the update and if it can read that I think your good.

6. rog2e

rog2e Member

Cincymike it worked! I was able to get the 1.9 update to read and do the update. Thank you! At least I can have piece of mind now knowing I installed my Wiikey properly. I actually went out today and spent almost 80 bucks on extra soldering tools and a multimeter incase I had to desolder and start over. I guess I'll still keep it for when I mod my sister and brother's Wii's.

I guess it is a media issue. Kinda sucks though as I won't be able to backup games yet. What kind of media and drive are you using and have you just decided you can live without the setup program?

Thanks again.

7. cincymike

cincymike Member

Its not the media, not sure why it does it. Just try to back up a game with whatever media you have. It will work. The wii isnt that picky. Just dont use some super cheap media. Good luck.

8. rog2e

rog2e Member

Hey Cincymike check out this link and download the guy's GCOS disk. He has a version of the 1.2 config set up on it. Needless to say I can back up my own disks now. There were other things I found on this forum about how to get the 1.3 config to work, something about setting the Wii disk to region free, but if you don't care and just want to be able to backup your disks just follow the link and download the appropriate file.

http://psx-scene.com/forums/wiikey/59745-gcos-versions-wiikey-1-3-config-disc.html