1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did my laser burn out?

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Dab117, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Dab117

Dab117 Member

I have a V7 PS2 that's been giving "Disc Read Error" for CD's (PSx and PS2) but not DVD's (but long load times for PS2 DVD's). I've read all the calibration guides and have spun the white cog to every which way (tried it in just about every position.) At one point, it would read blue back PS2 CD's and PSX games but now DVD's wouldn't work. I replaced all the screws and was gonna give up for a while (and play a PSX game) but it went back to giving disc read errors... I spun the white cog back to the original position, all discs have disc read error. I tried PSX CD's, PS2 DVD and CD's, movie DVD's with the cog in all positions and now it won't load anything. I never touched the laser itself but if it was having a hard time with reading discs, could that have put enough strain on the laser to damage it? It doesn't have a modchip, and only recently got Swap Magic. When I put a disc it, it spins up a little several times(making a weird click each time) and then just stops.Once, it spun up real fast but still gave the error, ejecting the disc and putting it back in didn't reproduce the high speed spin. Going into the browser brings up disc read error. Sometimes, it will just nudge the disc and it only makes about a tenth of a turn and stops. And if the laser is screwed, would it be better to spend the $55-$80 on a replacement laser or go all in for $130 for a brand new Slim PStwo (and order a flip top for swap magic)??

Edit: Forgot to mention, I ran a lens cleaning disc through it and nothing. I VERY lightly used a cotton swap with a small amount of alcohol (I'm a bit paranoid about damaging expensive things) and it still didn't make a difference. Still clicks, still doesn't recognize anything. I also made sure the ribbon cable for the laser was on tight.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2007
  2. ps2wizz

ps2wizz Regular member

i didnt read ur whole post but ur laser probly isnt burnt out but it is waring out. You could probly make it work a bit longer by ajusting the pots but u will need a new one soon.

3. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

It sounds like your v7 PS2's laser is nearly dead like ps2wizz said, and you're better off getting a new PS2 laser. I personally have a v15 slim PS2, but I would argue against purchasing one (although it may be just lucky ol' me) because of overheating issues, which were never really present in the old fat PS2s, a very picky laser and more fragile than a fat PS2 through my understanding.

And are you trying to ask to buy a slim PS2 and purchase and install a custom flip-top for it for Swap Magic? You can simply do a tissue and tape mod without the need to buy anything else except the Swap Magic disc set. Check here.

4. Dab117

Dab117 Member

Sorry, I just got back from a small trip to Seattle. So the laser is most certainly near the end of it's life, if I can EVER get it in the right spot? (I got sick of it and LITERALLY tried adjusting ONE click at a time.)So Z3120, would you happen to know if there were any improvements to the V16 that have gotten rid of these issues? (gotta change the version number for a reason... or not)I'm was more inclined to buy a fresh new slim line than have to get repair work on something that's like 5 years old (and possibly more likely to have other repair work needed) but if the slim lines have there own set of complications... bummer. And it's bad enough to recommend not getting one? Wish they'd hurry up and make a ps3 modchip that allows for backups (or hacked firmware) but it seems this could be several months off.(then I'd get excited enough to save up for one)

5. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

If there is ever a v17 out there, I have no idea about it.

Anyway, I feel I'm the lucky individual who has gotten a v15 slim PS2 they're dissatisfied with or it's me having a very keen eye for noticing things that seem out of whack. I'm completely sure the freezes I've been experiencing on my original mint condition PSX Thousand Arms game when playing on my v15 slim PS2 is not the game's fault but rather the PS2 which I'm playing Thousand Arms on because even my aged v5/v6 fat PS2 with a crummy laser for reading CDs in general now can run Thousand Arms smoothly. And besides, I haven't heard anyone really complaining about glitches or freezes for Thousand Arms and if it occurred, their copies were like fine condition so I doubt my mint condition would suffer from this problem.

I've heard of a few happy v16 slim PS2 owners that haven't encountered the problems I've been faced with PSX games, and they didn't have to give special treatment to their slim PS2s either although I'm not quite sure about their answers either. You could try asking personal opinions to any v16 slim PS2 owners and see what they'll say, but I think you'll be better off asking in a few forums rather than rely solely on the afterdawn forums for a quick and many responses.

In regards to playing PS2 games on the slim PS2 I have, they've been playing fine for a decent two hours with no problems. It's not until you get above that 2 hour mark where you'll see some difficulties that was never in the original game so I don't play for no more than 2 hours. If I do play for more than 2 hours, which I do rarely nowadays, it's only to see if something apparent will happen which does occur as I expect it to.

Could always replace the v7 PS2's laser you have since you know how to do so. I'm so worried about replacing my PS2's laser myself, I'll probably go to teammodders one day for someone there to do it for me.

Edit: I've used Thousand Arms as an example. Not basing the problems of my slim PS2 on one mere game of course. Just felt I needed to clarify that.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  6. Dab117

Dab117 Member

Thanks for the response, Z3120. You give nice detailed responses, I appreciated it. I'll start asking in some forums about what others opinions are of the v16's.

7. Z3120

Z3120 Regular member

No problem and wish you the best on what you decide to do. I believe there are a couple of v16 slim PS2 owners that frequent these forums although it's more of an occasional outing rather than regularly it seems whenever they decide to appear.