1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did sony use cheap and sh*tty rubber for the analog sticks

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by smacyo137, Jan 14, 2007.

1. smacyo137

smacyo137 Regular member

Ok when i saw this i was like "HOLY SH*T"
    take a look a your controller layin on the ground and look at the top in side of the annalog sticks
    there is a pretty deep cut in to the analog stick from rubbin up aggent the edge
    is this true with you
    this did not happen with the ps2 controllers
    did they decide to save money by usein crappy rubber
    i have a feeling that with continues cod3 playin it may chop off
    think this will be fixed
    cux its getting deeper by the minute

2. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

Can you post a picture of what you mean? I am sorta lost!

3. Pangy

Pangy Regular member

I don't entirely know what you mean, but after playing Fight Night for four or five days, using the analog controls to punch, it felt like it was gonna fall apart.

4. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

Actually, now that you mention it, i do see a bit of a cut in the edges of my analogue sticks...
    Looks like some of us should start sending complaint emails to sony about it...

5. BobbyBlu

BobbyBlu Guest

LOL...Rubber is rubber...

6. bluejet

bluejet Regular member

More then likely they did knowing they need to save money

7. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

I see what you guys are talking about! I yjink I am going to call!

8. TuRDMaN

TuRDMaN Member

I also have been playing Fight Night, and after madly spinning my analog stick in circles to patch up my boxer, there is only a little wear noticeable on the analog stick. Also, I DID have this same thing happen on the PS2, but it never got serious and never caused any noticeable difference in the performance of the controller.

9. kae007

kae007 Member

They use cheap rubber. Yea my xbox controller used to be like that too.

10. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

So I emaild Sony and they replied, "We will look into this comen issue and respond within 5 days"

So I will post what I am told once i get a responce!

11. WierdName

WierdName Regular member

Good luck with that response.

12. Domreis

Domreis Regular member

I have playd my PS3 alot more and am noticeing it alot more now! I can see it on my Dul Shocks, but not this bad! Not even after 6 years of use!

13. TuRDMaN

TuRDMaN Member

Actually, after playing Fight Night some more, I can see the groove in the stick getting deeper, and now it feels like the stick is sticking to the edge and grinding a bit. Good thing I got an extended warranty on the system, I think I'll be goin through a lot of controllers >.>

14. dazila

dazila Regular member

I dont have a Ps3 yet till march.

but this has interested me what are the analog sticksa layerd with the same rubber as the Ps2 and Psone or the same rubber as on the Wii and Gamecube Joysticks the ones with rings on the rubber or is it a whole new Thinner layer of rubber to save money?

15. anubis66

anubis66 Regular member

this happens because the friction of the rubber on the plastic. its happening to me and my controllers. how do you get a replacment controller? maybe if we dont push so hard while playing. we arnt all dainty tho.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
  16. dazila

dazila Regular member

1grand (au) and they cant freaking put a proper rubber coating on the joysticks now that is cheap I wonder if the Internal Chips have the same quality as this?That wouldnt be a pretty site seeing a expensive machine die now would it?
    Im gonna regret this arent I as ive already paid 20% pre-order deposit on it and F1 champ ed.
    If they had used the same coating as they used on the Psone and Ps2 or the Nintendo joysticks it wouldnt be happening.
    Id think ring up sony tell them they send you a box you put it in tehre pay for registerd post then send it you recive a new or old repaired controler thats hwta I did for my ps2 console but it takes a few weeks round 3 to get it back so you better have a 2nd controler but then again it will happend again unless sony chnages its controlers.
    P.S
    I told you guys talking bout Batman would cloes that good thread but you guys said its about Hd vs Bluray.

17. smacyo137

smacyo137 Regular member

yeah its definitly getting deeper
    and if its getting stuck that really sucks
    i think they used diffrent rubber and plastic so it would be lighter
    but ive also noticed that the part that the analog sticks touch is accualy kinda sharp

its really hard to not make it worse espically in COD3
    cuz in online ur always moving and aimin
    plus to sprint you push in the L3 button while ur holdin up i can practically feel the rubber ripping off
    im gona be pissed when the stick breaks off cuz i dont kno if its covered but it should cuz its normal wear and tear

18. dazila

dazila Regular member

Boy'o'boy this is making me laugh and cry
    What makes me laugh?
    You pay 600us and you recive a controler with joysticks taht break of!LOL!
    I just wonder what the inside is made of l;ike the chips they most likely substatuded silicone with cardboard.
    What makes me cry?
    I pre orderd one and iam regreting it and i dont really feel like getting it which you ussually do since im playign the Wii and enjoying it so much.
    Sony have just screwed them selves and their reputation I mean it first the delays then lying satying that the ps2 will sell more then the Wii and 360 during the xmas holiday even though its 7 years old

They should im 101% sure.

19. SovMish

SovMish Guest

wtf are you guys talking about - the controller is normal quality... learn how to play "gently"...

I have put in a lot of hrs on Resistance, and I have yet to see any deformity in my PS3 controller.

Seriously, take care of that stuff, it cost you a cool $600.00.

20. TuRDMaN

TuRDMaN Member

While I don't want to come across as trashing the PS3, the analog sticks on the SIXAXIS definitely aren't the same as on the dual shock. And with games that require you to constantly be spinning the analog sticks in circles, that can be a problem (especially if you're really getting into the game). And I can actually physically feel a difference in the movement of the stick around the edges now, it kinda feels like it's grinding.