1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did you ever wonder how the election turned out ?

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by ScubaPete, Nov 5, 2004.

1. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

While looking at a house, my brother asked the real estate agent which direction was north because, he explained, he didn't want the sun waking him up every morning. She asked, "Does the sun rise in the north?"

When another person jumped in and explained that the sun rises in the east (and has for some time), she shook her head and said, "Oh, I don't keep up with that stuff."

And then she voted.

===============

I used to work in technical support for a 24x7 call center. One day I got a call from an InDUHvidual who asked what hours the call center was open. I told him, "The number you dialed is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week." He responded, "Is that Eastern or Pacific time?" Wanting to end the call quickly, I said, "Pacific.."

And then he voted.

============

So my colleague and I were eating our lunch in our cafeteria when we overheard one of the administrative assistants talking about the sunburn she got on her weekend drive to the shore. She drove down in a convertible, but "didn't think she'd get sunburned because the car was moving."

And then she voted.

================

I was in a high school advanced physics class and the teacher was talking about a new military weapon that uses sonic waves on the battlefield to burst enemy soldier's chests. One InDUHvidual in the class spoke up and said, "Well that's stupid! Why don't they just wear headphones?"

And a few years later, he voted.

=============

My sister has a lifesaving tool in her car. It's designed to cut through a seatbelt if she gets trapped. She keeps it in the trunk.

And then she voted.

=================

My friends and I were on a beer run and noticed that the cases were discounted 10%. Since it was a big party, we bought two cases. The cashier multiplied two times 10% and gave us a 20% discount.

And then they all voted.

================

I was hanging out with a real liberal friend of mine when we saw a woman walk by us with a nose ring attached to an earring by a chain. My friend said, "Wouldn't the chain rip out every time she turned her head?" I had to explain to her that a person's nose and ear remain the same distance apart no matter which way the head is turned.

And then she voted.

===============

I couldn't find my luggage at the airport baggage area. So I went to the lost luggage office and told the woman there that my bags never showed up. She smiled and told me not to worry because they were trained professionals and I was in good hands. "Now," she asked me, "has your plane arrived yet?"

And then she voted.

and I begin to understand -

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

That's the beauty of democracy - any mouthbreather that manages to stumble upon a voting booth can go for it :)

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Yep, yep - and while you're there, vote twice for those who have trouble finding it - :D) (Lol)

4. GeeDaddy

GeeDaddy Member

Thanks ScubaPete,
    With your assistance I have also begun to understand. As I have walked around in a daze for the last few days in disbelief that there could be that many stupid people on one continent.

5. pcshateme

pcshateme Guest

yeah- how could 55,000,000 people be so dumb?
    (notice how i said 55,000,000 not 59,000,000)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2004
  6. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Maybe you should rephrase that to - "How can nearly 6 Billion be so dumn" - cuz the rest of the world doesnt like Mr Bush.....

Maybe its the 59,000,000 who are dumn...I don't know - i do know that there were a few newspapers in the UK with those headlines, and the UK is a big friend of the US

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hey, at least it will give Michael Moore something else to maks a movie on - Ya Think ?

8. pcshateme

pcshateme Guest

moore probobly voted for bush- without him he has no job.

9. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

AD does not allow flame wars. If I see one more post like this the thread will be finished.

Now, on to the original topic ;)
    My wife doesn't ever discuss politics, and in fact avoids it to the point where she doesn't even understand a lot of issues. Unfortunately I can understand this since most of what passes as news anymore is really propaganda for one of the Republacratic parties (is there really that big a difference besides what propaganda they're using today?). If it's not that it's reporting on one of the parties. Until this year I always had to drag her out to vote, and she would ask me who to vote for in any major election.

This year was different though. Instead of going out to vote we got absentee ballots, and instead of asking me who to vote for she asked me a lot of specifics about a the issues. There were even a couple of things on the ballot I had to do some research on myself before voting. Plus we didn't have to go to the polls one at a time so the other one could watch the kids. From now on it's absentee ballots for me.

10. vurbal

Michael Moore probably casts write-in votes for himself. He's got too big an ego to vote for anyone else ;)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2004
  11. pcshateme

pcshateme Guest

actualy that 55,000,000 comment was a snap back at englands mirror news paper which had a head line saying "how could 59 million be so dumb"

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2004
  12. vurbal

Fair enough, but try to keep in mind that when it comes to religion or politics otherwise rational people often turn into raving lunatics. Especially since most of the people in the US wouldn't get that reference (I'd heard about the headline and didn't make the connection). What most in this country would assume is that you were calling people who voted for Kerry stupid, which is just asking for trouble.

13. pulsar

pulsar Active member

As far as I am concerned us Brits will always have a special relationship with the U.S. & long may it go on. It's just that most of the U.K. media (& populus) have a problem with the U.S. administration, (NOT the people). As we have a problem with our own administation! I can only blame the politicians of virtually every Government. If it were not for them then there would be nobody to start wars & preach fear & hatred. I really can't stand this "If you are not with us, then you are against us" attitude. I find this a most peurile policy to adopt. I prefer to think for myself & make my own decisions.
    Although I have read a lot of negative feedback about Michael Moore, whether or not you agree with what he says, at least he has the right to say it. And you have the right to disagree too! That is a democracy.
    If it were not for the like of the Pankhursts' women would not have got the vote, yet the actions they took were viewed with contempt by the hierarchy. As was Nelson Mandela. One mans' terrorist is another mans freedom fighter. What I do not like is when we are told what to think & say. I hate it when extremists try to change the world to what THEY want. Why can't everyone live in peace?
    Don't forget that the Christians slaughtered thousands in the crusades, in the name of God. If I were God, I would have been really pissed off at that one. In Ireland there have been many priests who have been convicted of child abuse. It has been going on for years? What will God do to those evil bastards? Communism would have worked but for the greed & corruption in people. Stalin killed 20 odd million for the good of the party! Some party.
    I have only been to France, Germany, Africa, the U.S. & Spain. All the time you meet & speak to people who are fed up with the way Goverments deal with certain issues. Everyone I have met on my travels have been really nice. Of course there is good & bad in all. I prefer to concentrate on the good. There are lots I am proud of what my country has brought to the world. I am also ashamed of some of the things we have done.
    I don't go in for name calling, that is for children. Much better is to have a debate. I watched with interest the U.S edition of Question Time, before the elections. It was interesting to here the Yah Boo sucks from the audience. (Brits tend to be more reserved- most of the time!) Is there such programmes like that in the U.S.? I love the way that politicians squirm when they are faced with an awkward question. I just wish they would actually answer a question for once, instead of the deflecting, ducking and diving! Why are they always rewarding themselves with massive pay rises & expense accounts. Just as in directors of companies, share options, huge pensions, company expense accounts, the list goes on. What can we do? Absolutely shag all!

14. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Oh, and sometimes I would like to line up the editors of some of the British newspapers against a wall because of the hateful & bigoted features they run. They can be incredibly irresponsible, unkind & outright stupid. Pandering to peoples deepest fears is just as bad as the extremists we are supposed to hate. Britain would be a better place without the cheap tat & innuendo our tabloids spout. That is the flip side of deomcracy, even the intellectually & morally challenged can have their say. (Is that name calling?)

15. pulsar

pulsar Active member

What the hell is a DEOMCRACY? Ah, what the hell, who cares?

16. pcshateme

pcshateme Guest

pulsar- yes christians did horrible things- centuries ago. i hate how people always try to paint groups with the same stroke (stereotypes). maybe i missunderstood you but thats like saying "all democrats are rasists because of slavery" or "all muslums are terrorists" or "all germans are nazis" or "europeans are war mongers because of colonization" thats what that ammounts to.

i am a christian yes, but christians today werent alive durring the inquisition so i fail to see how "the Christians slaughtered thousands in the crusades" applies to us now.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2004
  17. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

I don't know. Perhaps it's somethin' like DEMOCRACY only spelled different (Lol)

(Heh, heh) Sorry pulsar, I couldn't let that "puppy" just skate on through untouched now could I ? (Lol)

(laughin' soo hard on that one I done hurt myself - he, heh)

18. pulsar

pulsar Active member

You did indeed understand me, I know lots of Germans Muslims & people from all walks of life. I was trying to say that if people were more accepting of other peoples beliefs & convictions there would be more love in the world. To say that all Muslims are terrorists or all Germans are nazis is a prime example of what the media portrays. If you looked in my updated post you would have read that I would like to shoot all of the tabloid editors in the UK because of the hatred they peddle. When did I stereotype? You will find that Christians still create controversy today & disapprove of gay people & there is a growing divide created by the anachronistic views of religious leaders & the reformists, Catholics disapprove of divorce. Why do the churches prey on peoples fears? Why can't they move with the times? Why can't religions accept people for who they are? I was using the Crusades as an example. Killing someone in the name of God? What was all that about? Why do Christians insist on bringing God to anyone & everyone, why have missionaries? Why not let people find out for themselves. Why tell them that if they do not accept God then they will rot in Hell?. You have to be allowed to do what you want. I do not need reminding how to act in public or how to treat my friends. The problem with religious people is that they appear to be inflexible to anything. I am afraid that Homer Simpsons nemesis (Ned Flanders) is how most people view Christians. Underneath it all they do appear to judge people, you cannot deny that. Otherwise why are they trying to change everyone?. The same can be said for nearly all religions. I am really glad that my mother never made me go to church. We have lots of Mormons in my area. Why do they have to try & convert evrybody?, same with Jehovas witnesses, all they succeed in doing is piss people off. Why can't Mormons drink alcohol? Did Jesus not drink wine? Why is the Bible interpreted in so many different ways by so many different people? The shear amount of contradictions & misinformation that is spouted by the zealots is what really annoys people. Lack of consistency, mixed messages, the list is endless. Why don't Jewish people fully accept somebody converting to Judaism? Muslims welcome anybody, as do Christians, unless you are gay. It is the absolute intolerance by religions I cannot abide. If it is relevant, I happen to be heterosexual male who has gay friends. By the way Scuba, wondered how long it would take. May the fleas of a 1000 camels infest your armpits!!

19. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Scuba, marks out of 10 for grammar, punctuation & spelling?

20. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Bastardosos!