1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

difference between DVD + and - R

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by showan, Oct 14, 2004.

1. showan

showan Regular member

Hey all. I just got a new Liteon Dual layer writer, but haven't really used it yet. I'm confused as to what the difference is between the DVD + and - formats. A guy told me that the - is used for movies and the + for data. What I would like to know is, if I'm putting a bunch of songs, videos, roms/emulators, etc. does it matter whether or not it goes onto a + or - R?

Also, when I copy a dvd, what type of DVDR must I copy it to in order to have this play like a normal dvd in a regular dvd player? Learning how to copy the DVDs themselves is something I still have to learn how to do but I see lots of articles on this site for that so I will read. I'm just wondering about the + and - for now. Some people tell me there's no difference, some tell me there is.

2. andmerr

andmerr Guest

you ask and you recieve,heres some light reading for you:
    [4.3.6] Which recordable DVD format should I buy?
    As explained in the previous sections, there are two main formats: "dash" (DVD-R/RW) and "plus" (DVD+R/RW). There's not much difference between them. They both record data and video, and they both read back data and play back video. Both formats are available as recordable drives for computers and as home video recorders. In spite of claims that one format is more compatible with players and drives, both formats are similarly compatible (see 4.3.1). There are speed differences, but it's a game of leapfrog. One format will come out with faster write speeds, then the other one will match it or surpass it. In 2003, drives reached 8x speeds. 16x is the theoretical maximum, so both formats will soon hit the limit.

The biggest thing to worry about is that DVD-RW drives only record on -R and -RW discs, and DVD+RW drives only record on +R and +RW discs, so you have to make sure you get the right kind of blank discs. You may worry that one of the formats might "win" and the other format could disappear, leaving you with abandoned hardware. This is not very likely, since both formats are doing well. Luckily there is a simple solution to both concerns: buy a dual-format, or "combo" drive. Many companies make DVD-/+RW drives that write to both kinds of discs. Dual-format drives cost a bit more, but it's cheap insurance.

The DVD+RW format has a few advantages when used in a computer, but if data backup or access speed is important, also consider the DVD-RAM format. DVD-RAM is fast and reliable, and the discs have an optional cartridge to help protect data. Most DVD-RAM drives also write DVD-R/RW discs, and some super combo drives write all three formats.

If you still require more info heres a really good resource for you to look over

http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html

but while you are still looking for info on programs check out the guides section or just click the link

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/

have fun

andmerr

3. showan

showan Regular member

Hey

My Liteon writer is capable of reading/writing both the dash and plus formats. So by what you just told me it doesn't matter what discs I buy (either + or -). SO you're saying that I can back up data/songs/etc ont any format?

And when I want to copy any original dvd again it doesn't matter what type of media (either - or +)?

A guy at work told me that when backing up an original dvd you should use a dvd -r disc because most home dvd players read the - format. THat's the main concern I had.

4. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Lite-ons seem to perform better with +r media. -r media is more compatable with older set top dvd players but most new ones will play both w/o any problems. If for some reason your set top doesn't like +r media, you can reformat +r (but not -r ) to dvd-rom with a bitsetting tool making it just as compatable (if not more so) as -r. I have better results with +r media with my litey.

5. andmerr

andmerr Guest

heres some more light reading for you

DVD Formats Explained
    When DVD technology first appeared in households, users were simply popping DVD discs into their DVD players to watch movies - an option to the then-conventional VCR. But just as compact disc technology evolved so that users could record and erase and re-record data onto compact discs, the same is now true of DVDs. But with so many different formats -- DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-RAM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD-ROM -- how do users know which DVD format is compatible with their existing systems, and why are there so many different formats for DVDs? The following information sheds some light on DVD's different flavors, the differences between them and the incompatibility issues that the differing technologies have sprouted.
    The crucial difference among the standards is based on which manufacturers adhere to which standards. Similar to the old VHS/Beta tape wars when VCRs first hit the markets, different manufacturers support different standards.

DVD+R and DVD+RW

DVD+R and DVD+RW formats are supported by Philips, Sony, Hewlett-Packard, Dell, Ricoh, Yamaha and others.
    DVD+R is a recordable DVD format similar to CD-R. A DVD+R can only record data once and then the data becomes permanent on the disc. The disc can not be recorded onto a second time.

DVD+RW is a re-recordable format similar to CD-RW. The data on a DVD+RW disc can be erased and recorded over numerous times without damaging the medium.

DVDs created by a +R/+RW device can be read by most commercial DVD-ROM players.

DVD-R, DVD-RW and DVD-RAM

These formats are supported by Panasonic, Toshiba, Apple Computer, Hitachi, NEC, Pioneer, Samsung and Sharp. These formats are also supported by the DVD Forum.
    DVD-R is a recordable DVD format similar to CD-R and DVD+R. A DVD-R can only record data once and then the data becomes permanent on the disc. The disc can not be recorded onto a second time. There also are two additional standards for DVD-R disks: DVD-RG for general use, and DVD-RA for authoring, which is used for mastering DVD video or data and is not typically available to the general public.

DVD-RW is a re-recordable format similar to CD-RW or DVD+RW. The data on a DVD-RW disc can be erased and recorded over numerous times without damaging the medium.

DVDs created by a -R/-RW device can be read by most commercial DVD-ROM players.

DVD-RAM discs can be recorded and erased repeatedly but are only compatible with devices manufactured by the companies that support the DVD-RAM format. DVD-RAM discs are typically housed in cartridges.

DVD-ROM

DVD-ROM was the first DVD standard to hit the market and is a read-only format. The video or game content is burned onto the DVD once and the DVD will run on any DVD-ROM-equipped device.

Basically it's up to what your burner is capable of.Mine is an LG 12X DUAL LAYER(+/-) but i have found that the media i need is not available yet so i am content to use single layered dvd- r as i have had 4010 results with them compared to the 4010 i havent had with dvd+r
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Grrrrrrrrr.
    [​IMG][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2004
  6. showan

showan Regular member

Damn! My head hurts now!

i appreciate the help. I learned a few things. thanks 4 typing it all out. To sum it all up it sounds like it don't really matter what format i use when making a dvd (between the +r and the -r) because either should work. I'm not concerned about the dvd ram or dvd rom right now.

So lets say I try to burn a copy of The Last Samurai on a +r disc and put it in my regular dvd player. It shoul play no prob. If not then I have to try it again using a -r. That sounds about right?

ALso I was wondering...do regular dvd players play DVD RW disks? I was thinking just burn the movie or whatever to a RW in order to test it first and see if it works.

I saved your last post on my hard drive now for a reference so I know what to give people when they ask me what the difference is :)

7. andmerr

andmerr Guest

i didnt actually type it out god forbid.Its easy to cut and paste details of this size.

thats right

as technology progresses more and more dvd players are starting to play every format from dvd to mp3

try and stay away from the cheaper discs ,discs like taiyo yuden, riteks, sonys are preferred more as most people like how durable they are.Me included

8. scott683

scott683 Guest

[bold]try and stay away from the cheaper discs ,discs like taiyo yuden, riteks[/bold]

really?
    all ive been hearing is to buy riteks! buy riteks!....so I bought a boat load of riteks..lol

is ritek really cheap crappy stuff?

9. andmerr

andmerr Guest

how about you reread my post do you see the comma after

CHEAPER DISCS .I'm not slagging the discs i have mentioned i'm actually suggesting to shoman that these are the preferred ones to use.

10. crazymf77

crazymf77 Guest

I have burnt about 30 dvd+r discs using fujifilm
    4x media and haven't had one coaster.I don't know why everyone says -r's are better for video!

11. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I don't think anyone is saying dvd-r is better for vidio, just that they are more compatable with older set top dvd players. Most new players play almost any format type. A lot has to do with what your particular dvdrw works best with. My litey prefers +r (lower PI and PIF spikes with kprobe) and my set top doesn't care either way.

12. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Moved to appropriate forum.